Reliability of your camera?

I have been using a Samsung SCD103 miniDV camera. After about 6 months of usage, I had to send it in for repairs because the picture was locking up. They ended up just sending back a refurbed camera. I've had it back for less than a year and it is acting up again. When recording, the screen just goes blank -- the recording comes out as just a black screen. (Tape head cleaner not fixing it).

So my question is -- am I just having bad luck with this model, or are low-end miniDVs prone to trouble?

What camera do you use?

How long have you had it?

How reliable has it been?

Would you recommend it?

I've never had a single problem with my JCV (DV-5000) which I got December 1999 and have used to shoot 17 features, 8 music videos, 3 weddings and even as a playback/transfer deck. I take it in to have the heads professionally cleaned and alined every 18 months and have never had a single problem with it.

I'm close to getting their new camera - the HD100U - but am also considering really going for it and getting the HD7000.

directorik said:
I've never had a single problem with my JCV (DV-5000)
Yeah, but that's like, a $6000 camcorder. Not a $300 one. :P

I use a Canon GL2. I've shot 2 shorts, a training video, and a few sample commercials. My dad has taken it everywhere with him (Yellowstone, the Badlands, Panama City, etc); it was his 'family vacation' camera. Between the 2 of us, we've had it for 4 years. The heads are starting to get dirty, I believe. Video will get choppy from time to time and I have to run a head cleaner through it and it runs fine.

directorik, how much does it generally cost to have your heads cleaned and alligned? Mine probably needs it, but I wouldn't know where to take it or how much to expect to pay.

Serjus said:
Yeah, but that's like, a $6000 camcorder. Not a $300 one. :P

Serjus brings up a good point, though...

I would assume (generally speaking) that a more expensive camera would offer more features and better image quality, but should one assume it is also more mechanically reliable as well?

Very true. I hadn't even realized I made a poor comparison.

As with anything, you get what you pay for. I imagine that a $300 camera is worth about that and won't last for many years. I used my Sony Hi8 for 12 years without a problem. Got it in 1980 for $3,000.

Serjus - the head cleaning and adjustment costs me about $150. Could be about half that for the GL. It really should be done at least every 18 months. It will extend their life considerably.

I own a JVC GR DV800U (single chip 1.3 Megapixel - $800 at the time) Takes great pix, but the heads are wonky...I'd be interested to know where you're getting the heads adjusted and how much that is as well. Had that for about 4 years and it's really good. I've used it alot as a Deck for getting footage into the computer which is probably why the heads are hit and miss.

I also own an XL1s. With regular head cleanings, I've had no problems whatsoever. My friend did have an XL1s that he had problems with, but that was an ebay thing and there was a fingerprint on the inside of the back element of the lens. I haven't owned it that long, but it's been a champ through shooting a feature. Although it does generate alot of noise in the audio (bad grounding or something - I'll get it looked at eventually).

What camera do you use?

We've been using the Sony TRV-25 Mini DV (1CCD) and it's fantastic. Was $1,100 four years ago.

How long have you had it?

4 years.

How reliable has it been?

It's been held outside an airplane window, mini-van side doors, strapped to steadycams, a make-shift jib, and hand-held while wading through a river. Not to mention the special effects (Explosions). It's light, portable, concealable, but with the right light the camera takes breathtaking footage that might pass as lower end 3CCD. There have been a lot of problems with the interlacing though- images extracted from our footage is always heavily lined, and video footage has tendancies to have lines when exporting from timelines.

Would you recommend it?

Yes. It's probably like $500 now, so go for it.

directorik, I have an XL1S (PAL) which I have used exponentially less than you. I never had the heads cleaner and alined. When I fast forward or rewind (especially when I rewind), quite often, the camera will 'chew' the tape. Is this a side-effect from lack of cleaning/alining?

knightly, where do you have your XL1S serviced? Mine is actually quite 'clumsy' when it comes to playback. I don't use it as a deck which is why it did not bother me too much, but it's still quite annoying when you are gunshy about rewinding...

Thanks guys.

Owning a camcorder is a new departure for me; I've always rented broadcast quality in the past.

I'm using a Panasonic NV-GS75, which isn't an expensive camera; but it does have three chips; an line in for a mic, so with a bit of work (see hot shoe mic thread) you can get profession audio into it.

For a cheap camera, the picture quality is great and I'm getting lots of work doing documentary and community projects off the back of it.

I can't tell you how robust it's going to be, I'll be happy if i get a year out of it and to be honest it more than paid for itself twenty times over already this year. (Er ... five times over if you're the tax man) :lol:

I'm seriously considering shooting a feature on this camera; just to prove that it can be done. With the research I've done so far I can see no reason why I shouldn't be able too. especially now I've sorted out a way to professionaly control the quality of the audio.

What camera do you use?
I have two.

First, a consumer MiniDV by JVC. Had it for about 3 years. Cost $400. Never a day's problem. Still works to this day.
Second, my Sony PD170. A $4000 3CCD DVCAM. Had it for a year. Never a problem. (I got smart and bought a 4-year extended warranty for it just in case)

A good friend of mine purchased a Sony PD150 and had the firewire port blow on it. As it turned out, it was HIS fault for blowing it out because he connected the camera to an active (powered) firewire port, not a passive one. Dummy. Sony refused to fix it on a warranty repair and charged him over $600 (flat fee) for a new port and logic board. He should have read the manual.

yeah clive, if you are really careful with your framing and set design/costuming, you can get phenomenal shots with even really low level cameras frame tighter than you would with film (so the camera can resolve the details better - hides the pixelization that happens in the diagonal lines). and exposure down slightly (about half a stop), no pure white, no pure red. Circular polarizer to control what light hits the ccds. White balance religiously!

(so the camera can resolve the details better - hides the pixelization that happens in the diagonal lines). and exposure down slightly (about half a stop), no pure white, no pure red. Circular polarizer to control what light hits the ccds. White balance religiously!

Got it. ;) In fact, bought a circular polariser today and have been trying it out on a community project I'm invoved in at the moment.

should have read the manual.

Now that's a T-Shirt slogan I could wear everyday :lol:

DirectorX said:
directorik, I have an XL1S (PAL) which I have used exponentially less than you. I never had the heads cleaner and alined. When I fast forward or rewind (especially when I rewind), quite often, the camera will 'chew' the tape. Is this a side-effect from lack of cleaning/alining?
I would suspect so. It sure couldn't hurt to spend the money to maintain an expensive piece of equipment.

ok so i got my camera two years ago at christmas and its a samsung SC-D353 mini dv
in june of that year the fold out LCD screen stopped working and then this year the exposure meter went out
it was about $400 dollars when i got it
and i wouldnt recomend these cameras to anyone

Back