Designing dvd covers.

I would like to design my own dvd covers and was wondering what is the best and most simple software to use for designing dvd covers, etc...

Also does no one use the chat room any more, i have been on several times but alas no one is ever there...

Best software would be Photoshop CS or Photoshop 7. (Both very, very expensive) Photoshop Elements is cheap and does a lot of what the big lads do, but is less complicated to get to grips with.

As for cheap, if you don't mind loading freeware on you machine

http://www.softpedia.com

I can't vouch for any of it, but there's selction of freebies to try.

Personally I think learning Photoshop is the way to go, because I always think it's better to get to grips with pro tools whenever possible, even if it's the cut down versions, simply because you're building a sklill set that will pay off later. Photoshop is used a lot in video editing, particularly in greenscreen for backdrop creation and in creating titles.

I have to agree with Clive (christ Clive I'm becoming your yes man at the moment. All ways posting after you saying Clive is right..... Clive is always right.... :) ).

Without a doubt the best software is Photoshop but it is a bugger to use. Try posting on the web on places like Shooting People or Mandy for a Photoshop artist. You'd be suprised how many will work for credit!

Thank you all for your guidance!

Having reviewed www.softpedia.com it looks more easy than what i heard about photoshop, so i shall be downloading from www.softpedia.com and also check out the college for courses on photoshop.

Clive, i read with interest that your preparing a new feature, do you need anymore actors? (I am Yorkshire based Equity M0150209).

Just downloaded it and it looks fairly straight forward to use, Thanks Clive!

Eddie Rex.

Last edited:
Clive, i read with interest that your preparing a new feature, do you need anymore actors?

I think I'm shooting this one in Hackney, East London and because of budget issues I'm going to be using local people. Have you got a web based CV?

Does photoshop have vector graphics nowadays? Don't use bitmap images for fonts. If photoshop doesn't have vector capability these days then use Illustrator or Quark Express in conjunction with PhotoShop.

Photoshop has resolution independent fonts that work like Illustrator, although Illustrator might still be a better solution for assembling materials. Ultimately, you'd need both to handle the photos and images as well as the text and layout.

I hate to admit this, but I feel it will add to the discussion. For my last short, I actually used Microsoft Publisher to make the covers. I didn't much like them, but they're serviceable... I've even been complimented on them. Publisher worked better for the back cover than the front, in my opinion. I had a lot of trouble keeping the image ratio on the front, but I got it in the end.

As you can tell, I am no graphic artist, but it got the job done in a pinch.

Hiring a good DVD designer is as important as hiring a good DP. If you hope to release your movie into stores then the cover can make or break you. It's worth paying a pro to do it. You CAN save yourself some money by gathering stills and making whatever adjustments need to be done in photoshop (example: cutting out background around someone), experimenting with cover designs, etc. Run a notice on Craig's List and you will have tons of graphic artist submissions.

Currently i have been using softpedia.com which is very basic and easy to use.
Not familar with paintshop pro however, is there a free download or do i have to buy it from somewhere?

Your pictures are fantastic! I liked the Mars Overview image.

I am not in production with any films at the moment however if i require any posters i will be in touch. Thanks!

Back