photoshop in os x question

Hi guys

I'm having another dumb moment with software.

I've got a stupid amount of fonts on my mac, and photoshop is only showing them as far as S in the character palette, does anyone know how to access the full list of font families?

I've tried going through the help menu both for photoshop and font book and can't see an obvious solution.

Not sure what version of Photoshop you're using, but it is rumored that PS has a font limit of 512... so if you have more than that, you will have to delete some you dont want. Or, try using a font manager, which categorizes fonts and 'hides' them. Check google for font managers.

Yep, that's the problem. Guess it's time to look into font mangers. Thanks for the tip. Either that or give up my core belief that you can't have too many fonts. :lol:

No, no... you can never have too many fonts!

They just need to be managed, that's all. Large numbers of installed/active fonts can make an otherwise well-behaved application into a resource hog, too. Best to keep the number as low as possible.

Large numbers of installed/active fonts can make an otherwise well-behaved application into a resource hog, too. Best to keep the number as low as possible.

I'm starting to undertand that, I'm looking into font mangers right now.

Fonts were the bane of my existence when I worked at the local news paper as the sole IT guy for the production machines. We used suitcase back in the mac OS 7-8 days. Not sure what's out there now, I don't use that many extraneous fonts...bad memories.

Worst was manually fixing (altering the font files to match) the mac (workstation) vs. pc (film printer) symbol disparities for publication in the paper...evil incarnate.

Apparently suitcase hasn't faired that well in the OSX environment. I'm trying out linotype's fontexplorerX, which is a beta version but seems to be helping. What I've got to next is figure out the workflow for using fonts with this new software, before digging all the existing fonts out of my system. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! As if I didn't have enough on my hands with my intensive study of FCP.

Of course the fab thing is that once I've figured this out I'll be able to collect even more fonts, organise them and design more efficiently.

It occurs to me that being an indie film maker requires ever more skills and learning with every passing day. I don't think a single day has gone by in the last eleven years where I haven't been trying to increase my knowledge or skills and no matter how much work I do on it, there always seems a mountain of stuff I still don't know. Which is both cool and daunting.

Back