Outlook for 2006

OK everyone what is the year looking like for you this year.

What do you think the indie industry is in for this year?

What projects do you have in your plans for this year?

What are you most looking forward to this year? Well maybe 3 things?

I think the indie industry is set for another banner year in 2006. I'm not as connected as some to know what is going to be coming out this year but certainly the influx of indie money makers over recent years is changing the industry as a whole. Digital intermediates will continue to raise in use for low budget indies, and with the increase of HDV cameras hitting the markets I expect both HD productions and HD projections at festivals will be on the rise. We will likely see more docs hitting the cinemas, and in the wake of March of the Penguins we might see more nature based documentaries. That said, I believe the number of quality indie narratives will rise this year as well due to the increased market for no/low budget indies and the studio subsidiary distributors that continue to gain steam in the marketplace.

I have a short hitting the festival circuit this year (High Fire Danger!), shot on 16mm, as well as my first commercial DVD including HFD!, a version of HFD! shot with an HC1, commentary, behind the scenes doc, and scanned script. I plan to be submitting to festivals within the next three months (so we're looking at summer fests). We also plan to have a few local screenings of HFD!.

I am inching closer to my first feature. That... I have finally bitten the bullet and decided to shoot on 35mm of some flavor. It is likely it wont be shot until summer 2007.

So my next short will be either something very contemporary and slick, or it might end up being a slice from the feature script, in an effort to entice investors for the feature. Either way, it is looking like it will be shot on HDV with 35mm optics.

I've also been talking about it forever but we will be finally launching our SteadyGrip camera stabilizer within the next two months. Its come a long way in 2 years while weve prototyped and added features but its finally ready for primetime.

So other than writing more than Ive ever written before in terms of more scripting, working a bit on the business, and making some polished websites, I guess thats about it. How about you guys?

I'm looking forward to more good cinema coming out. I have particular tastes and it seems like only a handful of films come out in a year that I really want to see... so needless to say Im dying for another good one.

I'm going to edit my movie. I'm almost all done now, finished the actor's singles and inserts for his scenes. One more sequence to shoot (have to wither wait for spring, or frame winter out of it ;) He wants to be done too, so we'll be framing winter out).

I'll be making a stabilizer (like to see yours wide!), getting a stronger garden cart to replace the one I'm currently using.

Making a couple of shorts next summer, I've learned my lesson with features...don't start that big! 4 shorts is still just starting out.

I'm going to try to get a indie distribution chain/co-op off the ground with the fine folks here so we can alleviate some of the diffficulty/cost in getting our movies seen.

I'll be shopping around for a new job part way through the year due to corporate restructuring, it'll be a welcome change, I haven't slept fully in 10 years (been on call 24/7/365). Maybe try to get a job as a cinematographer with someone or something (or a PA gig - I make killer coffee and am a great people person) ;).

I'm excited for this year!

CootDog said:

...I have so much to do....

I am still trying to pull together my website. This is why I had hoped to have someone who knew what they were doing help me out in October when I was on the road. I knew I didn't have a clue. Well, I have purchased a program that says you don't have to know html. Well, maybe not, but SiteSpinner is an extensive program all the same. And the tutorial has alot of typos and omissions, but I am making my way through it. If I can't get this sucker up and running its going to be bad....I wish I had more time....damn my day job....:grumpy:

...as for how the year looks, well, I don't have a problem saying that I am not sure yet. I am keeping a good thought, and hoping to move forward on my doc. I still need playback, heck, I need some money but doesn't everybody? I need to stay the course and have confidence in myself, which I do...things are just moving so sllooooowwwllyyy.....:rolleyes:

...I don't have any idea what the industry is in for. Nothing earthshattering has happened to shake things up anymore than usual. I guess we all need to stay the course so that we will be ready when it does...

...same project to work on. I need to reconnect with my subjects, but this website needs to go up first. Geez, just a vicious circle, ain't it?

...what am I looking forward to...I am so OBSESSED! I have a bad case of tunnel vision right now, maybe I'll be able to answer this question later...:)

...Good Luck to us all, we will need it. I remember writing down a quote from Ken Burns, that documentary filmmaking is an exercise in passion and terror (paraphrasing, forgive me). Well, I've got both of those in huge doses. Here's hoping everyone progresses on their projects and aspirations...

--spinner :cool:

EDIT: Geez, did I tell you guys I entered the Silver Atlas short in the Ann Arbor Film Fest? Well, I did, and the East Lansing Film Fest. We'll see how things go....

Last edited:
Im waiting for the foggy season to shoot some shots and hopefully create my very first Indie short that's at least 20 minutes long (would love to shoot for 60)

I dont expect it to win any contest at any festivals but at least i wont be just making test scenes anymore.

I have a place in mind that Im going to shoot it at. somewhere out by the Sacramento Delta. I just hope I dont look nuts filming myself and maybe doing some scenes with dialogue. But, I guess if I want to do this as a hobby, I shouldnt be embarassed what other people thing. Right?

:)

I think the next year or two is going to see a larger number of no budget indie films making it into the mainstream. The truth is the technology is starting to make it possible and now it really does mean it's about having the the right ideas and skill, not about budgets.

As for myself. This year I need to build on last years efforts to make a living as a film maker, so more community video projects. (The real shock of last year wasn't the bankrupcy, it was how much I enjoyed doing the community video projects.)

After nearly quitting at the end of last year, I've now got three projects to do. The first is to write a new feature script and get it out into the market (I'm really pushing my career as a screenwriter this year; with two complete scripts for sale I'm going to be looking for a US based agent). The second and third projects are linked, I'm working on a new feature film which is going to be shot for as close to nothing as I can make it. This means instead of crewing up, the way I normally would do and then going into a post production facility, I'm doing the whole thing myself. The third project is the book that I'm writing which is linked to the film.

These three projects are going to dominate my year. In fact, I've spent the whole of the Christmas/New Year break research aspects of the story (Very excited about that) and also working my way through the Apple Pro Training series of books for FCP. I decided my noodling aobut style of editing wasn't going to cut it for a feature project, so I've been increasing my knowledge and skills in FCP. By the way, these books are incredible, best tutorial books I've ever read.

This year I think I'm going to be asking lots of questions.

I think if I learned aynthing at all last year it was this: If you can't make the films the way you want to, because of financial reasons, make films with what you've got.

I gotta make this short, because i start work in five minutes...

Looking back at '05 for myself:
-The Perfect Sandwich (May) : My first short film, and directorial debut.
-Orange Crush (June) : My second directorial, and first 48hour challenge film
-Macbeth 3000 screenings (July, August, Oct): Premier, bloody red carpet, youngcuts
-Wreck Beach Film festival documentary: finished and edited, but unreleased because of music- still, my first editing task over 20mins, and my first documentary
-Bloody Hell (Oct/Nov): First horror film
-Hot Rod Fever: Coming soon, a little five minute segment I made for the Captian (Wreck-beach director)

So looking back at all that, and the memories within, if I can keep up this momentum for '06, outlook is good!!

This year I'm focussing more on learning more skills, concentrating on writing and screenplays, and eventually hope to make two sequels to projects (not telling which!) and a new short. All of this will build to a 2007 feature... looks like the start of a good year... now we just need Bush to be impeached and it'll be golden!!! Oops- politics... bite my tounge.. erljgndgn...

I think 2006 will be a year of TONS of HDV and HDV films coming out to the public (more than last year) but I doubted that the 'technology' is going to help push these to a next layer as it is still in a 'trial and error' perspective (many indie filmmakers are still trying to find their niche with the market), and I still feel that it might be a 'waste' in terms of distribution perspective were as HD/HDV might not go as 'planned for many... But it's a new medium that is going a lot of hype and hope like when DVX100 came out :)

Personally, I got 2 short films this Jan to do, and doing a lot of prep for the feature The Rapture, the goal of this movie is to at least make some return so we can garner a lot more funds for the next feature, hence, we have to know the market and decide what is the best format and lowest budget we can get it out there and immediately being able to 'sell' . This project is going to be shot digital + film so have to find the niche for the market... We are starting with a producers' retreat on Feb 4 (about 12 of us) to get this rolling.

Still am going to shoot some personal artistic films to learn and horn my skill

In addition, doing more civic work with my nonprofit org for Asian Americans, plus learning as much as I can on HD/HDV

I want to learn more about distribution and how they buy, it's interesting to hear from two people who went to AFM and telling me what they saw at this event, how the buyers are buying, etc, it will dictate what is fast sell what is a slow sell, etc.

I also need to revamp my site, and start training actors for fight choreography and wire-harness stunts, so we can avoid using as much of stuntmen as we need to...

Buy a HVX200 and a HD computing system (NLE) and learn more about Adobe Premiere 1.5.1 and After Effects 6.5 Pro (I am still a beginner).

And enjoy life as it fullest, you will never know when you will be gone. :)

Johnny Wu

A TIGHTENING UP. LESS MONEY BEING SPENT AND SALES AGENTS SCREWING THE SMALL GUYS!

FIXERS (ACTION COP THRILLER STARRING GENRE LEGEND JEFF WINCOTT)
VICIOUS CIRCLE (A QUICK, EASY BUT GRITTY SAW ESK MARTIAL ARTS FILM)
AND A RETURN TO DIRECTING (AFTER 8 YEARS - A SHORT FILM CALLED THE LAST LAUGH!)

WORKING WITH GENRE LEGEND JEFF WINCOTT ON FIXERS, DIRECTING AGAIN AFTER SO LONG AND SECURING A UK RELEASE FOR 'LEFT FOR DEAD'!

CootDog said:

No idea, but I hope it has something to do with my film becoming an international phenomenon! :)

Just directed my first feature film in December and I'll be in post for the next few months.

I have a baby due in March, so I'm looking forward to that. I will hopefully be completing my film around that time. And third, I'm looking forward to getting more gigs. 2005 was a great year, so I hope to build on my career going forward into the new year.

I follow a conservative release schedule of one production per quarter. I met that goal last year, but hope to release more this year. I have at least 5 scripts in the works and hope to make this year my best ever.

And in January 2007, I'll be saying the same thing. :D

I forgot to make my industry predictions:

Straight from the fingers of Logrodamous:

1. Every decent budgeted filmmaker will use HD, but the "snowball effect" won't happen immediately, and a lot of people will kick themselves for over-hyping the format when ONE (or two) SD films still get super-mega publicity and distribution- this will lead to the equation: "story > format = true". But I mean, c'mon, sure, HD is great- but it's not going to be the be-all-end-all until CONSUMERS and CINEMAS demand HD as thier default format... remember the lazerdisc...

2. Clerks 2 will KICK ASS.

3. As the digital generation of filmmakers ages in experience and talent (as more and more resources trickle down) there will be a huge surplus in the number (of quality flicks) and interest in independent film. Just looking at the stuff everyone here is working on, you don't need to be a know-all self-proclaimed prophet like me to see good things a'coming.

I don't possess a crystal ball and I have no idea what the year holds in store for our industry or for us personally. I think the Box Office will have a good year, mainly cause last years numbers were low. I think there will be more inching towards an HD revolution. But I am not sure.

I'm a bit afraid of what this year might mean for me personally. It could be a big year where I accomplish a lot, or it could go down as another year of wasted opportunities.

I've got lots of plans and ideas, I just need to implement them (something I haven't been good at in the past).

Poke

2006, a very GREAT year!

CootDog said:

Well I guess I should answer my own questions, shouldn't I? Yes.... :lol:

1) I think the Indie Industry will become more popular to the public. I've been asking around at the theaters/cinemas near me and almost everyone that I talked to said that they would be more inclined to see indie films rather then the blockbuster hollywood films.
I also think that HD will rise very high in Indie Films. We'll see a lot of films using HD instead of film this year. HD is on the rise.

2) I have TOO MANY projects.
a) At the end of 1Q/06 (first quarter of 2006) I'll be getting at least 12 days worth of tapes of a play. They want me to edit a feature length documentary AND a feature length film from all of this footage. It's a play running for 12 days, 2 times a day.
b) I will be starting "The HadlBran Chronicles" a VFX heavy series of shorts about 2 kids and their magical powers.
c) I have been kind of approached to PRODUCE a feature length documentary.
d) I want to do the VFX work on "Darkness" that I said I would but have just been too too busy to do anything.
e) Complete a wedding video/DVD that is about 85% done already.
f) Do a directors cut for "Casting Call". I have received 4 out of 5 tapes that we shot with and I think they may be salvagable. I also have 3.5 hours of BTS footage. So I'll do the short "Casting Call" AND I'll do a 27: or 55: documentary about the making of "Casting Call" including all the problems we had with our uninvited guest, hurricane Wilma.
G) IndieFlics.com I want to get the business plan done, the name in lights, and possible do one theatrical release of an indie film to theaters across the country. I've come up with a few other ideas about it too!
H) IndieStorage.com I want to get this up and running too. I am helping people all the time with storage issues and I gust need to finalize a process and get it rolling.
I) I want to launch SantaIsCalling.com. I believe that I'll have the capital to pay a call center, but I am speaking to local organizations that may be able to be the call center. I'm planning on at least half of the profit to go directly to charities benefiting children.
j) A friend of mine has written 2 very good zombie type movies. We're working on getting it into a script, using the 4 Act Structure, and I would like to do some greenscreen/3d animation pre-pre-production tests.

K - T) Who knows!? I am always coming up with ideas. I just might be releasing a series of corporate security training videos.
U) Getting my UnderpaidMonkey.com site up. and although I have TradeMarked Underpaid Monkey, I can't wait for the register to finally go through.

3) What am I looking forward the most?
a) I really can't wait to get started on the first episode of "The HadlBran Chronicles". I'll shoot the first one on DV and see what I get but have been thinking of maybe renting an HD cam and shooting it on that. HD mainly because of all the 3D and VFX stuff that I'm doing, removing houses and putting in CG ones, adding CGI monster and many, many VFX.
b) I'm really looking forward to seeing indie films in the theaters/cinemas. Not in the art houses, but in the Marcus or AMC theater down the road.
c) I'm looking forward to maybe getting a Discreet Flint system on Linux to move me closer to opening up my very own VFX shop.

Last edited:
Back