Music & Indie Films

Music & Indie Films

by Peter John Ross

THE PROBLEM

One of the things that can make or break a movie is the music. Can you imagine JAWS with out the John Williams music ? What about the techno music in THE MATRIX ? As no-budget filmmakers, we often times forget that sound is 50% of the experience of seeing a movie, whether it be a :30 second joke, or a 4 hour Lord of the Rings DVD. And thanks to technology, we can physically add any music we can get our hands on into our movies.Since we can take an audio CD from any musician, put it in a CD-Rom and quickly load that digitally mastered song on to a timeline of our handy editing program, temptation has all new meaning. It's like having a piece fo forbidden fruit on every tray at a buffet.

Let's talk about why you should NOT do this. First and foremost - it's illegal, as in against federal law. Maybe you've heard of this - COPYRIGHT. Everyone already knows this, but dirt poor, no budget filmmakers think this law doesn't apply to them. Popular music costs a lot of money to use in your movies. That's probably why most people steal music & use it without permission.

Secondly, here's where you have to consider another point of view (other than our own selfish, "I'm the filmmaker" view). If you can take their music without paying for it, then why should anyone ever pay for any aspect of your movie? Music is intellectual property, just like your movie will be. If you can steal their music without paying, then someone at a TV station or a website should have equal rights to steal your movie & never have to pay for it.

On a moral & ehtical level it's wrong to use music without permission. I am quite sure if you saw someone selling copies of your movie without paying you, it'd be like restraining Chris Farley at an all you can eat lunch special. What is the difference between stealing your movie or stealing someone else's music? NOTHING. What kind of arrogance makes us think we are more important than musicians?

I remember being on a filmmakers panel at a Sci Fi convention in May of 2002 and an audience member asked us all what our opinion was on using copyrighted music. I said I was against it. Another no budget company (one I co-founded no less) piped in with a speech about how it's okay to steal copyrighted music. They even said, and I have to preserve the accuracy in quotes "If someone catches you using copyrighted music in your movies - that's a good thing. That means someone important saw your movie." That is another perspective, and they have the right to think that {{Although I do think it's important to note that they recently lost over half of their 100 movies online for copyright violations}}

Who am I to preach? Have I ever put copyrighted music into my projects? Of course. Virtually every first time filmmaker puts music that's copyrighted into their movies. I did it a lot when I first started. Since then I have made every effort to get original music into my projects or I actual make arrangements for obtaining the rights and pay the neccessary royalties.

THE SOLUTIONS

There are struggling musicians and songrwiters just as often as indie filmmakers. Make a connection. Help EACH OTHER out. You can get their music played in a venue previously unavailable to them, and you can have original music that doesn't make you nervous to play at every film festival. It's also much classier to have your own music. It differentiates your movie from the dozens of others using the same songs.

You can also get cheap "loop" programs like FRUITY LOOPS or Sonic Foundry's ACID. You can quickly and cheaply create music from loops and customize the speed, tempo, pitch and many aspects to make the music fit your exact needs. It's better than a "cease & desist" letter from an attorney and it's legal to use once you BUY the program (illegally copying programs is whole OTHER article).

Stock Music libraries are an option.These cost money, but in the end it's much cheaper than popular music. Music ranges from El Cheapo type stuff where you can buy a CD of music for $250, then use itanytime for free (also known as "Royalty Free" music because you buy it once & own the right to use it anytime). Then there is the top o fthe line which is EXTREME MUSIC which is very expensive, but incredibly good. They charge "per needle drop", meaning you pay for each usage of the music, if you use it online - there's one fee, and if you use it on television, there is a different price, etc.

If you are deadset on obtaining a popular song - SECURE THE RIGHTS. Go to ASCAP or BMI and find out how to get the proper liscensing. "Internet Only rights" are cheap, and they invented something for no budget filmmakers with the "Festival Only Rights" to songs to make this more affordable to Indie Filmmakers like us. Try to do it legally, because if the RIAA is going after individual users that download a John Mayer song on KAZAA, then what do you think they'll do to a filmmaker trying to make money from using a song in their movie? It's not a slap on the wrist anymore. It's a lawsuit.

SUM UP

Will you get caught? Probably not, but lately, the risk is going up. I recently got a letter from an attorney for music I used in a movie I did from February 2000 that still lingered on a short film website, not even a popular site. I have since removed the movie from their site & I have re-edited adding original music, and the hits increased 400%.

And because I am a former musician myself, let me say that I am not unsympathetic to the plight of indie filmmakers. Resist the temptation to steal music. I am giving away 20 songs for free to be used by any Indie Filmmaker completely free with full rights. These aren't the best songs, but they're free. Others do the same (say Hello LoganL !)

I hope this helps
Peter John Ross

Here's another suggestion: Filmmakers may also want to investigate "Public Domain" music found at places like archive.org.

This is a magnificent resource of legally free or Creative Commons music that's just waiting to be used.

Personally, I've used PD music from this site in a few of my releases, like Bad Cat 3 and 4. My future productions will feature PD music from this site too.

Good tips guys.

As a note, ASCAP doesnt license for motion pictures, you do that through the publisher or writer. But, you can search ASCAP or BMI for the title and it should come up, telling you the publisher and/or writer who holds the rights. One song I am going for is held by EMI so I have to register with them and see how much they want. It is a well known song but pretty old and so hopefully it wont be too expensive. Plus there's like 70 versions of it to choose from.

Another solution is to buy the licensing for reproductions, rather than use the original recording, which is less expensive.

Here's three additional ideas that will work anywhere.

1) Put a few posters up in local the local music shop and rehearsal venues asking for bands with recorded original material to submit them for use in your film. You should be clear on the poster what fee if any you can pay; you can get lots of great music for free by doing that. When the CDs come in, find the tracks you like and sent release forms to the bands. And hey presto, original music soundtrack for the cost of a few posters and a Post Office Box (It makes sense not to use your home adress).

2) Colleges teach music technology production courses and these are usually stufffed with musos, I've taught on some of those courses and I'd say that about 25% of them want to break into film scoring but don't know how. You'd easily find very talented people this way. It's often worth talking to the tutors who can also set your film as an assignment for the students (Givng you thirty different soundtrack to chose from) This is tricky on a feature, but for a short is a great option.

3) Do it yourself. Invest in a copy Abelton Live, which is the most stunning piece of music production software ever made. (It comes with a great tutuorial package built in, so it's easy to learn) Then buy some sample CD's. These are cheaper than royality free music. Slap your samples into abelton and you can build your own sound track. If you've got a few muso friends, bring them in for a day to record some little bits and pieces and build your own samples.
If you're straped for cash you can do exaclty the same thing in Garage Band (which comes free with OSX), which is so simple to use I taught a group of eight year olds to create a soundtrack for their film in under twenty minutes.
All in all though Abelton is the one to go for, its the FCP of the music world. A fully pro, but intuitive production tool. it also has the best effects suite of any studio I've ever used and is worth it just for that.

Last edited:
Our Director is also a songwriter and put together this site of royaltyfreedownloads (at unreal prices). Visit www.royaltyfreedownloads.com and start shopping. These are mostly :30 and :60 pieces but they are great for pulling together short scenes (and especially great for commercial work).

For "Waiting on Alphie" I actually hand-selected 21 original artists from around the world to sign over a song for our soundtrack in exchange for" exposure, invite to screenings, name in the credits, a copy of the film (pending distribution). Artists from Hawaii to the UK to Ohio and Florida. All went for it and signed the rights for the movie, trailer and festival. We have some AMAZING kicking music in the movie and I couldn't imagine how it would have turned out without these artist's willingness and support. After EVERY screening the audience asks where they can buy the soundtrack (didn't get soundtrack rights .... next time).

Imagine Pulp Fiction using midi music 'cuz it was a free download?

The sound track for LeftF or Dead had loads of (c) music on. How? We asked. You'd be amazed at what you can get for free. We got music from US and UK hip hop acts wanting to break in to film, music from Fat Boy Slims company SKINT Records and music from a couple of established US artists.

All for free. And with full permission and rights. The answer? Just ask. It's amazing what you can get when you ask REALLY nicely!

Back