a collage of photos makes 1

I dont know if I spelled it right. collage or collauge, but I used googles Earth to prnt screen 9 photos to crop and paste into one big giant photo.

the photo is about 2100x1500 resolution taken from 9 700x500 resolution.

:)

you guys can download it and use it if you ever need to. Next time Im going for 20 photos instead of nine. This was sort of a test.

here is a smaller resized version of my photo. BTW.. it wasnt easy to do because I kept getting white border lines and kept having to recrop and layer.

florida1b.jpg

here is the larger resolution of the same photo.

http://www.paskday.com/yam/florida1.jpg

I have a comment on the animation.
There a discrepancy between the rocket and the background.
I think if you change the angle of the rocket (tilt the nose 'up' more toward the center of the screen) it would look more natural.

DirectorX said:
I have a comment on the animation.
There a discrepancy between the rocket and the background.
I think if you change the angle of the rocket (tilt the nose 'up' more toward the center of the screen) it would look more natural.

Rockets dont go straight up. there is a slight arc in my rocket. Thanks anyways :P PS. it was justa test. I like your input and My main goal is to make actual buildings and sort of emboss them in the scene. I think i'll do a night launch with the moon over a reflective ocean.

and knightly, hehe Thats what I was thinking too :)

The shuttle and the ground are moving at different angles, that's what he meant. Anyway, like you said, just a test.

indietalk said:
The shuttle and the ground are moving at different angles, that's what he meant. Anyway, like you said, just a test.

I had to add on because it looked sarcastic of me. I know what he means and I was arcing the rocket but I do appreciate his input and didnt mean to sound as if I was negating his comment in anyway. Max vurtual cameras never seem to work right when all you use are 3D objects. the map is textured to a simple plane.

there is a slight bow in the cameras view, I didnt adjust it. I left the default settings :)

But I do want your guys input, no matter how direct it is :) thanks

The shuttle is tilting in its arc, the camera is a fraction of a turn (less then 1 degree) and so it gives that look.

So Ill toy with it. :)

shu1.jpg

I believe the reason it is deceptive is that your earth is flat. Perspective of the ground is deceiving the eye to think your rocket is falling off the earth instead of leaving it.

My .02 cents and believe me I am amazed by anybody who can do this kind of work.

EddieLeonardo said:
I believe the reason it is deceptive is that your earth is flat. Perspective of the ground is deceiving the eye to think your rocket is falling off the earth instead of leaving it.

My .02 cents and believe me I am amazed by anybody who can do this kind of work.

thanks, Yes, I normally use a "bend" modifier when working with textured planes. but the earth doesnt curve until you're at least 20-30 miles up (based on the comment made by the guy who built his own rocket and launched it from Edwards last year).

I think , this map is less then 6 or 7 miles high as shown. I think the alttitude on google Earth read 37k feet.

The only problem i seem to have is memory. i have to create as small of a polycount as I can with 3D. When I add the bend modifier, i have to have a huge face count or the bend wont look smooth and natural. anything about 200k face count begins to make the computer sluggish or crash. I just got this Dell, and I am financing it, so I have no money for more DDR as of now. :)

BTW.. interesting comment about the shuttle falling off the earth. Thats kind of what is happening when a rocket launches, its using a stronger for to pull away from gravity, so in a sense, it is falling away from earth :)

How about moving the image of the ground upward as you are pulling out. That should give the desired effect. Btw this is really cool and I am not knocking it. I along with everyone else I am sure are just trying get you the best you can be.

How about using the texture itself as a bumpmap...just b/w it and use whites as low? That wouldn't add the complexity you're looking to avoid for the proc time, but would add a little parallax to the ground.

I was not being sarcastic at all. I just wanted to leave you a comment on the animation before I logged off. Short and blunt message can be easily misinterpreted.

Eddie, this was not a launch but a test of a shuttle in mid flight, Also, If I pulled the ground up with the shuttle, it wouldnt look like it was moving.

knightly said:
How about using the texture itself as a bumpmap...just b/w it and use whites as low? That wouldn't add the complexity you're looking to avoid for the proc time, but would add a little parallax to the ground.

I've experimented with that method. It looks real sloppy in Max. The better thing to do is create a 3D primative for each building and then map the orriginal part of the photo to each drop object. The problem though is having to remap each part of the texture map to align perfectly. You use an unwrap modifier to do this. This small sat map is huge. its 2000 pix x 1500. and it barely covers much of the cameras field of view. Which means Im going to have to place or weld an ocean primative, next to it.

DirectorX said:
I was not being sarcastic at all. I just wanted to leave you a comment on the animation before I logged off. Short and blunt message can be easily misinterpreted.

I never said you were, I said *I* sounded Sarcastic and went back and edited to make myself show I was being appreciative of your guys input. Its hard to express your true meaning, in the form of text without a little emote next to it :)

Back