Compression problems/questions

YO!

I have a file that is 14 gigs 1:04:58 uncompressed AVI. I would like to make a DVD but am having a big problem trying to figure out what compression method I should use.

Any suggestions?

I'm using a PC based system (laptop).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well I guess I should tell you that the footage was from a MiniDV camcorder and captured, so I suppose they have the native DV compression. But all the clips were worked without adding any more compression. So that's why I call it uncompressed.

Right now I'm rendering it at 720x480 29.970i NTSC DV using Cinepak CODEC at 60% and audio is uncompressed.

Laptop has 1.7ghz processor and 2 gigs of RAM running XP. It's been running for 1hour 23 min and it says there's 23 hours left to go!

Then after it's rendered i have to transfer it to my other PC so i can burn it to DVD.
So is a 10 gig AVI file going to be able to be compressed again into DVD format and fit on 1 DVD?

Is 720x480 too big for regular NTSC TV?

I've done shorts before, not anything that's over an hour long.

Coot--MPEG2 is where you want to go. Some DVD authoring programs will actually convert AVI, WMV, and other video formats into the proper form while it is authoring the DVD. Another option is to just drop the full AVI clip into your editing program, and then make a new movie of it choosing the output template you want. Most editors should have a standard DVD quality MPEG template.

Coot: .MPV is the video portion of a de-multiplexed mpeg2 file.. typically you'll get a .MPV and a .MP2 (or .MPG)

The best software compression to mpeg2 is Cinema Craft Encoder, next in line is probably TMpegEnc.

I guess I should have posted links...

There's a few free ones linked to from videohelp.com

TMpegEnc: Various flavors...
There is a free version available at tmpegenc.net

Also, TMpegEnc Plus -- A bit higher quality, there's a free trial, otherwise it's $37 for the full deal, it can be had from pegasys-inc.com

TMpegEnc DVD Source Creator, again, more features, etc.. trial, full for $40, also available from pegasys-inc.com

And finally, TMpegEnc Express, which is the version I'd recommend.. again, there's a trial version, or the full blown program for $60, and again available from pegasys-inc.com

(Note: The three pegasis-inc links link directly to the relevant product page, so click the one for the version you're interested in.)

Cinema Craft:

Technically there are three versions, Basic, SP, and Pro, however the Pro version is a complete dedicated system that features hardware encoding... so I'll discuss Basic and SP:

Both have a free trial, and the major difference (other than price) is the number of settings you can tweak. Basic is just that, a basic DVD-compliant encode of your source video, the full version costs about $60...

-- OR --

For the power hungry user, wanting to tweak every option they can, SP gives you that choice.. you can either run it at a default setting (like the basic version) or get down & dirty tweaking the settings, but that ability, clearly, comes at a price... the full version weighing in at a hefty $1950.00

They are both...
(as well as the Pro system and the 'Xtreme' System, with which I am not familiar, but appears to be a significant step up dedicated solution than that of Cinema Craft Encoder "Pro" and costs about $38,000..)
available from cinemacraft.com

[edit] Oh, I should also mention, that the cinema craft encoder(s) (Basic & Pro) come with a plugin for premiere. :) [/edit]

Last edited:
CootDog said:
Well I guess I should tell you that the footage was from a MiniDV camcorder and captured, so I suppose they have the native DV compression. But all the clips were worked without adding any more compression. So that's why I call it uncompressed.

uncompressed is uncompressed, DV is DV25 compressed. You can uncompress DV to uncompressed avi which I believe gives you more flexibilty in grading but youll never escape that initial mini dv compression. True uncompressed would be Raw from a camera to an HDD bypassing a compression format. This really pays off if you are going with a more traditional workflow, which is where I have finally started to go. IE, uncompress initial footage and trim it leaving some head and foot room for transitions, grade footage, edit film on timeline, render to uncompressed, apply opticals to new uncompressed avi, render to uncompressed, apply sountrack to final avi, render to uncompressed avi. Technically, although I have gone through 4 generations I only have 1 generation of DV. I can then choose my delivery codec.

Right now I'm rendering it at 720x480 29.970i NTSC DV using Cinepak CODEC at 60% and audio is uncompressed.

I believe the only codec for DV is DV25. Cinepak would be a traditional avi codec.

Laptop has 1.7ghz processor and 2 gigs of RAM running XP. It's been running for 1hour 23 min and it says there's 23 hours left to go!

Your first problem is that it is a laptop and likely a mobile processor. Your second is that it is 1.7ghz. Nevertheless 23 hours is a long time and I would attribute that to the cinepak codec which is old and slow.

Then after it's rendered i have to transfer it to my other PC so i can burn it to DVD.
So is a 10 gig AVI file going to be able to be compressed again into DVD format and fit on 1 DVD?

Easily. The #'s dont matter, all that matters is the compression amount you choose for the moeg-2 compression. You should be able to put 2hrs at 6mbit/s at least on a single layer DVD.

Is 720x480 too big for regular NTSC TV?

NTSC is 720x480.

WideShot said:
NTSC is 720x480.

That depends..

NTSC Analogue TV Standard is 720x480

D-1 NTSC is 720x486 if it has non-square pixels, or 720x540 with square pixels.

DVD NTSC is 720x480, which is 4:3 with square pixels, and 16:9 with non-square pixels.

it's all a bit confusing though, because "NTSC standards are 525 lines of resolution transmitted within a 6MHz channel at 30fps" So, really none of those resolutions are exactly right.. there's clearly some conversion going on somewhere.

But, to keep things simple, the standard 720x480 miniDV source will work perfectly for a 4:3 NTSC image if encoded to MPEG2 and burned to a dvd. ;)

Some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5107912-15.html

Back