Indie Film Tip - Editing 2

This is the way I actually like to edit... bring somehting in from the previous shot to the next. I just never knew the name. I do like how you explain that to cut to see the reaction of the character as the other character is speaking. That was really cool and now I can't wit for the next production! lol.

I hope all of this information and more will be on the DVD!

sonnyboo said:
*BUMP*

come one guys, this one is just as good as the other one. Why ain't no one watchin?

I chose to silently envy this time, as opposed to overt thanks... these are really great tid-bits that are a lot of fun to watch and great learning tools- PJR, have you ever considered collecting all yours and Scotts video tutorials and perhaps assembling one big filmmakingtips DVD? I remember Mr. Spear's lighting tips helped me a lot on my last few shorts, and these editing tips have great references in them- mainly because you go to the lengths to explain WHY these things are done. A lot of people show you how to do things, but not why you have to do them...Keep them coming, please!!! Excellent work!

Ross and I have thought about doing a compilation disks of our tips. I think we need some more to really make it work and they need to be more cohesive, i.e. building upon each other. I think the "Horrors of War" tips will do that.

Scott

I also chose to silently watch. I loved it and knew about the technique, but it always helps to see it explained. This is why I'm a Movie guy rather than a Radio guy ;) There is also the j-cut which is the same concept, just the other way around...it can help to motivate a cut in the edit when there is no obvious time to cut. If the voice or sound effect comes from off screen, we the audience want to see what is motivating the cut.

My specific issue is that my actors were amatuers that were rushing through their lines and not reacting much to the other side of the conversations. I'll be doing lots of L & J cuts plus cutaways to get the pacing right. :)

Again, just assume that everyone of these tips you post is pure gold whether I tell you or not...most of the time, I'm just speechless ;)

Spatula said:
PJR, have you ever considered collecting all yours and Scotts video tutorials and perhaps assembling one big filmmakingtips DVD?

Yes, this has been discussed, but it all relies on a North American DVD distributor and how much "Extra" content they want to put on a DVD of Horrors of War. If they don't want to include the Filmmakers Tips, then a compilation DVD may be just the ticket, but even then, we'd have to get permission to use any of the Horrors of War clips in the videos. Everything is very complicated at this point in terms of using anything owned by a Corporation, not just an individual.

I'm also compiling a set of my own articles for potentially turning them into a book for DV filmmakers trying to get into features.

Thanks for placating my fragile go everyone. I just got paranoid that these started to suck...

sonnyboo said:
Everything is very complicated at this point in terms of using anything owned by a Corporation, not just an individual.

On that subject- when you say corporation, are you refering to the distributor who picks up the flick, or the prod. company that makes the flick... and if it is the latter, does it ultimately fall on the names of the people who own the company?

I'm positive I'd like to incorporate a stand-alone production company, but there was some trouble in Macbeth 3000 about only 2/5 producers being listed on the business documentation for Supergun Cinema.. would that mean even though I wrote the script, yet the company copyrighted it in "it's" name, I don't have any rights to my script anymore? Sorry this is turning into a whole set of questions- but the business aspects of filmmaking are so much more troubling than the creative parts...

I personally am really enjoying these tips. Keep them coming! Also, it doesnt necessarily have to stay with editing, maybe some production tips would be good too. You guys are doing a nice job of assembling and editing them too, I like the overlays :)

Spatula said:
On that subject- when you say corporation, are you refering to the distributor who picks up the flick, or the prod. company that makes the flick... and if it is the latter, does it ultimately fall on the names of the people who own the company?

Yeah, pretty much. Once I make a deal with a distributor, they will own all the MOVIE footage, but the "Behind the Scenes" will have to be negotiated. Some distributors look at the extras material as a goldmine, others, a garnish that can be left off the plate and they wouldn't care. Also, the fact that the company (Horrors of War LLC) isn't just me, myself alone (like SONNYBOO PRODUCTIONS is), complicates things always. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not the immediacy & dictatorship that many of us writer/director/producer/editors of the DV World are used to. Again, it's not bad, as it's amazing how much bigger your movie can be when you transform the dictatorship of DV shorts into a democracy of a feature film with a budget. It becomes the collaborative jelly that lubricates the lovejoy that is feature filmmaking at a higher level than I've ever been before, at least as a co-director or producer.

Sorry, I got all poetical on ya'll.

Don't know if you're planning more, but I'd like to request a piece on color correction/grading. I'm sure you're painfully busy though marketing this bad boy, so take your time ;)

Back