• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting Christmas Lights

Last year I made a TV Special for my local public access station and shot "Holiday Lights of Tampa". I made a 30 minute production of light displays in the Tampa area. I shot it on a cheap HI-8 camera. This year I have access to a GL-2 and would like to get a better picture. While last years production was not that bad (lighting wise) and received several phone calls with compliments, I would like to make this years better with more clarity.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Eddie

This is going to be high contrast images no matter what you do. I would play around with contrast reduction filtration, but this may not work as well at night. I have shot lights before, I exposed for the lights and ignored the backgrounds entirely. It turned out relatively well. A Circular Polarizer would help get rid of off-axis light fuzzing up your picture.

Actually a star filter would be most preferable I'd think.. making all the twinkly little lights pop.. just like they do at the oscars. ;)

Tiffen makes 'em.

Maybe the 'Hollywood Star'
Hollystar.JPG

Or the 'North Star'
northstar.JPG

Check out that Tiffen link to see more variations.

Will Vincent said:
Actually a star filter would be most preferable I'd think.. making all the twinkly little lights pop.. just like they do at the oscars. ;)

Tiffen makes 'em.

Maybe the 'Hollywood Star'
Hollystar.JPG

Or the 'North Star'
northstar.JPG

Check out that Tiffen link to see more variations.
That might be a little too much, christmas lights are in the thousands and close together. Could be useful for a few close-ups, etc.

Wow.. DMX control of christmas lights.. crazy. Of course.. the uber-compression on that file doesn't really do it much justice.

On another note... I love how everyone likes to steal Trans-Siberian Orchestra music.. this is the second video in less than a month I've seen using their music.

Will Vincent said:
Wow.. DMX control of christmas lights.. crazy. Of course.. the uber-compression on that file doesn't really do it much justice.
On another note... I love how everyone likes to steal Trans-Siberian Orchestra music.. this is the second video in less than a month I've seen using their music.

I'd forgive it in this case, because that's just really cool- I bet there's some sort of electrical/lighting degree hanging on the wall in that house... the TSO rock.. if copyrights weren't an issue, I'd have used it too.. I think a lot of people just don't realize they can't use that kind of music in videos- but then again, for something like that, I'd hope the TSO would be amazed and in awe at HOW thier music was used.. lol :)

Thank everyone for their suggestions.

------
I have seen this video several times this season, it is what made me decide to do another episode this year. I use christmas music that has been recorded by artists royalty free. Unfortunately there is no music that can be sync-to the lights that are displayed at the one house that has the music timed with the lights.

So. I will do the best I can with the material that I get, I think I will try a polarizer lens.

Back