Who here plays Guitar?

I hope this is an OK topic for General chat. I bought a guitar/dvd kit for my 2 Daughters. I figured a musical intrument would help them with Math skills.

I kind of feel bad I didnt get them professional lessons at a younger age. But, We're going to try and folow along with the DVD together. I myself have an interest to learn as well. I have to say this. the tips of my fingers are hurting. Also, I dont remember what notes, I think D, but My fingers are short and fat. Im having a hard time stretching my (index?) over the other finger to play the A string. I think I have that right. Whatever chord that requires one of the finger to kind of rest on the other to reach the higher string.

Any suggestions? I also notice my left ring finger twists to the side. Its hard to position it on the B or second string without hitting the higher E string. it muffles that string.

Was wondering if anyone has the same problem and what to do before I develope bad or improper habbits.

I wish I learned at an earlier age.

I play and have taught guitar. Your fingers will hurt, I used to bang them on the desks at school gently all day to get the nerves deadened and the calouses to form (8 years of concert violin didn't hurt either). Many of the chords will test your ability to adapt, they do become easier as your hand becomes accustomed to the positions.

I learned form the Mel Bay Chord Book, start with page one, practice each chord 5 times releasing your hand each time. Find a song you like currently and get the sheet music for that song. You can play just about any 80's rock ballad by learning G, C, D, Em and Am. Strengthen your fingers by using a racquet ball to push against with your finger tips.

Stringed instruments take different muscles than you are used to using, stick with it, your fingers will cooperate eventually.

I started playing guitar in the 70s. At about age 8 my dad taught me a few basic chords. Then in about 1982, I remember playing cover tunes from "Combat Rock" and "Three Lock Box" in my first garage band.

What helped me was that the first chords I learned were on a classical acoustic guitar. Classical guitars use nylon strings instead of steel, and they don't dig into your fingers so sharply. Also classical fretboards are wider so there is more space between the strings. This is better for someone with thicker fingers. Eventually, I migrated to electric guitars with steel strings, but by then I had already built up a tolerance for it.

So, if you can get a classical-style acoustic, I would recommend it for beginners.

Also, be mindful of how you hold your wrist. I try to bring my arm forward so that my wrist is relatively stright down to my arm, rather than bending my wrist 90 degrees to get my fingers on the neck. Twisting your wrist that sharply will cramp it up quick. Try to use your shoulder and elbow more to get your forearm forward so that you don't have to bend your wrist as much to play.

Last edited:
knightly said:
I play and have taught guitar. Your fingers will hurt, I used to bang them on the desks at school gently all day to get the nerves deadened and the calouses to form (8 years of concert violin didn't hurt either). Many of the chords will test your ability to adapt, they do become easier as your hand becomes accustomed to the positions.

I learned form the Mel Bay Chord Book, start with page one, practice each chord 5 times releasing your hand each time. Find a song you like currently and get the sheet music for that song. You can play just about any 80's rock ballad by learning G, C, D, Em and Am. Strengthen your fingers by using a racquet ball to push against with your finger tips.

Stringed instruments take different muscles than you are used to using, stick with it, your fingers will cooperate eventually.

Yes... everything that knightly said! I also play and teach guitar so I won't repeat him. Tennis ball also works if you do not have a racquet ball... but those exercises are not critical. The hand strength required really depends on the action of the guitar and the guage of the strings.

My fingers killed me at the beginning (I actually started on bass guitar), but you just have to let your hand chill out for a while if it becomes too uncomfortable. When you're ready, just play again! Desk tapping (like the good sir knightly says) is a pretty cool idea, but nothing conditions your fingers for guitar like a guitar! Just keep playing, and your hands will eventually toughen up and cooperate.

If you don't have that Mel Bay book, use the books that you did buy. Keep playing one chord over and over and over again. Take your hands off the guitar, and practice making the chord again. When you get the hang of actually forming these chords, try changing between two chords that you think are easy. Change back and forth between the two chords (over and over and over agin). Add a 3rd chord when this is comfortable (no hurry).

You can start learning at any age, so don't think that you waited too long or that your children should have started earlier, or need lessons from a professional. Just do your exercises, check out some books, talk to any musical friends you have, and all should turn out great! Just stick with it. Take care!

John@Bophe said:
So, if you can get a classical-style acoustic, I would recommend it for beginners.

Also, be mindful of how you hold your wrist. I try to bring my arm forward so that my wrist is relatively stright down to my arm, rather than bending my wrist 90 degrees to get my fingers on the neck. Twisting your wrist that sharply will cramp it up quick. Try to use your shoulder and elbow more to get your forearm forward so that you don't have to bend your wrist as much to play.

I agree with the classical guitar comment (John's right about the advantages), but I also agree with the philosophy that you should learn on the instrument that you WANT to play. Get an electric if that's what you want, etc.

Another note on the hand position. I want to add a comment to John's thing... the pad of your thumb should be on the BACK of the neck. Some people let the thumb curl around to the low E string and that will kill your hands... especially when you are introduced to barre chords!

Charles@Bophe said:
Another note on the hand position. I want to add a comment to John's thing... the pad of your thumb should be on the BACK of the neck. Some people let the thumb curl around to the low E string and that will kill your hands... especially when you are introduced to barre chords!

Yup- try and get the thumb centered in the middle of the back-side of the neck. Not necessary for open chords, but when you get to full fledged power/bar chords, it'll ache.

Another good tip- restring every 1-3 months to keep the strings fresh and smooth, and take your guitar anywhere you can. Constant practice. Learn lots of different songs.

I don't know any theory or anything, but that's what Rock and Roll is all about!

Oh, Cool. Thanks for responding, guys.

The DVD and guitar I bought is Lyon from Washburn.

I dont know who the guy is in the video. he is pretty cool and I learned at least 3 chords from him today.

is this a decent guitar? It doesnt matter at this point. I guess its doing the job.

Last edited:
Your fingers will hurt for about a month, but keep in mind that it WILL pass.

I have noticed that many people starting out on guitar tend to press way too hard on the string.
It DOES have to be pressed to sound the note, but experiment by applying gradual pressure until you get the note to sound. Your touch will "memorize" the amount of pressure needed once you do it a few times.

The initial period of sore fingers combined with over pressure turns alot of people off of guitar, but stay with it a little while each day and in a month or so it will be as effortless as it is painless. (Scouts honor)

In tandem with over pressure is a common "Fear" of the instrument.
People starting out tend to fear the noise and clutch the instrument too hard and in general become
all tensed up. Being tense is uncomfortable and exhusting. Relax and make noise with the guitar.
Strum it open, strum it loud (Within reason), strum it soft , rake the pick over the strings, move your fingers around and listen, but stay relaxed.

The easiest way (I have found) to memorize chord positions is to lay one finger down at a time over and over. Like a C chord: Index, middle, ring finger , index, middle, ring finger over and over. At some point you will be able to speed up, at that point keeping going and you will begin to lay your fingers like a triplet (Think of a galloping horse) once you do that triplet feel a few times your fingers will drop as one into that chord position, once you drop into that position a few times, you will subconsciously memorize that positon.

If you aren't up to chord speed yet (It takes a little doing to get to chords, but don't become discouraged) then experiment with notes till you hear part of a song or a melody. Sit down and figure out like "Twinkle twinkle little star." Put on the radio and move to different notes till what you hear from the guitar in a sonic sense "Rymes" with what you hear on the radio. This will probally be a harmony.
(This is the "Cat scratch fever" "Iron Man" "Sunshine of your love" phase of playing in notes on one string and is essential. It's very enjoyable to play like 3-5 notes and someone recognizes what it is.)

If you get a chance, look at a breakdown of time signatures. You will find math applied here and things like 1/8th and 1/16th notes counted outloud are quirky enough to interest kids.
1/8th's are counted: 1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ (Spoken as: One AND-Two AND-Three AND -Four AND
1/16th's are counted: 1e+a - 2e+a - 3e+a - 4e+a (Spoken as: One E AND Uh -Two E AND uh (And so on)

Kids seem to love saying odd things or making sounds over and over and over and over anyways,
so you can use that to impart a sense of rythem while also explaining some fractions.

You could do far far FAR worse than a Washburn. A few of my friends work for Washburn here building the guitars and even the lowest level ones are fine. Basically you want something that will tune and stay in tune a while. You are in good shape with what you have.

I applaud you for exploring music as a family activity.
-Billy-

Last edited:
Billy, My kids and I took a break from it (it became frustrating that the teacher on the DVD was going to fast). We're going to start again and learn each major/minor chord then go from there. One thing I know about learning an instrument is learning it improperly will cause problems. its very difficult to adjust my pinky and ring finger. It seems my ring finger causes the most problems by cancling out the pinky's string. It seems to get in the way. thats one thing I have to work on.

the finger strengthening with the racquet ball will help with the ring finger thing. Make sure you spread your fingers out as far as you can when you do it and keep your fingers arched.

King Goldfish said:
... its very difficult to adjust my pinky and ring finger. It seems my ring finger causes the most problems by cancling out the pinky's string. It seems to get in the way. thats one thing I have to work on.

My wife is learning guitar and is encountering this issue as well. One thing that helped her was to play the chord, but play each individual string separately as opposed to strumming. You will hear which strings are dead, you may need to adjust a finger or two, but this will help you remember how the chord hand should feel when you form your chord at a later time.

When a note is dead (i.e. ring finger cancels the pinky's note) it may be as simple as pivoting your ring finger so it won't touch the pinky string. Don't undo the chord, simply make the small adjustment, then play the notes individually to hear all of the notes in the chord. It helps your hands remember how the chord should feel. Since you know how to play the right notes, it's now time to play the notes right. Please forgive the cliche, but it's true.

Take care.

--Charles

Back