Question about Film. 16mm vs 35...

actually, my question is this. Im trying to create a CGI film strip.

We used to have an 8mm movie camera as a kid (I think it was 8mm.. it had no sound though), and I recall the single frames being vertical.

When you look at 16mm or 35, are there square holes on both ends? is the frame horizontal or vertical? As you can see, i dont know anything about film. I do however recall having to set up film reels in class back in the 70s and if I remember correctly there was a pivot on the projector to turn to ajust the picture.

Logically I would think 35mm is horizontal since it would be a wide angle film, Right?

is this 35mm?

I found it using "Film Frame" on google

CHP_Pen_Film1.jpe

doesnt explain the picture. But i can work with this.

just was wondering what the difference is in film as far as how it looks physically.

I will post a photo of my cgi film model.

Last edited:
Conventional movie film runs vertically. Think of a projector, or a magazine on a camera. The image on the film is also vertical.

indietalk said:
Conventional movie film runs vertically. Think of a projector, or a magazine on a camera. The image on the film is also vertical.

cool, thanks for the feedback, i just edited my orriginal post since I found some photos of film using "Film Frame" instead of "Movie Film" as a keyword for search.

sorry if the question seemed stupid. I just wanted a realistic looking model.

omg. is it :( see. I dont know anything about film.

I should have guest since the frames are so different from one another.
Thanks. so do you have a decent upclose photo of actual movie film?

Back