I need my storyboards!

I was curious about whether or not people here use storyboards all the time, and when people decide to use or not use them.

I have reached the point where I can't live without them even for very short shoots. I don't enjoy drawing though, I use 'Poser' on the computer, which really helps to plan out camera shots as well. I also use the program 'Directors Boards' to organize and print them.

What techniques have you all found helpfull?

I usually ask the DP if he likes to work with them. I could probably go either way. Usually don't use them.

Wow, Poser being used as a story board. Thanks for the idea. funny is, I was using poser facial morphs as a mimic mouth map for my 3D Models. since its so time consuming to morph facial movement in max characters.

Yeah, it works great for planning shots and camera placement, movement etc. Sometimes I will go all out and actually measure and recreate my shooting environment so that I can work out a lot of bugs before ever stepping on the set/location to shoot.

I started using them in BC4, now I can't live without them.

Sometimes you get a burst of inspiration and you have to storyboard it up, otherwise it's gone forever after someone asks me if I want a slice of pizza.

I want to thank Sonnyboo for the storyboard template on his website. I can't live without it now. :bow:

cnomad3d said:
Yeah, it works great for planning shots and camera placement, movement etc. Sometimes I will go all out and actually measure and recreate my shooting environment so that I can work out a lot of bugs before ever stepping on the set/location to shoot.

you should create for us a tutorial :yes:

I've always prefered floorplans. I know it's a studio technique, but I can see all my coverage on one sheet of paper and make rapid on the spot changes if the conditions change. Can't do that with story boards and as storyboards only show the framing, I find I can explain that verbally during the line-up.

Back