cinema framerate

i have heard that the cams used to shoot usual movies are shot using somthin like 24 fps, what does a regular handycam use? is there anyway to convert it?:P

A digital video camcorder (NTSC) shoots at 29.97 (aka 60i) frames a second, which are comprised of two different fields (like alternating stripes) that get put together to make one whole frame. The "i" in 60i stands for "interlaced", which is the name for all that hub-ub. That means for 30 frames, there are two half fields- each 30, together 60. It's actually rounded numbers anyway, but that's not incredibly important.

Higher end cameras like the Panasonic DVX100a, Canon XL2, etc, can shoot at 24p, which emulates the frame rate. The difference with the "p" means it's "progressive", in other words, instead of making those two fields, it captures the thing as one whole frame.

PAL cameras (UK format) shoot at 25fps. I dunno if they're interlaced or not.. I think so... Clive would know more about PAL formats, if you need help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but I heard that having a true 24p timeline is only good for exporting to film, otherwise on DVD, it's going to be 29.97? Maybe someone can help with that question? (Oh great- I'm adding confusion)

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but I heard that having a true 24p timeline is only good for exporting to film, otherwise on DVD, it's going to be 29.97? Maybe someone can help with that question? (Oh great- I'm adding confusion)

It's certainly not as important but there are benefits. If you edit the 24p frames in a 24p timeline you can create a 24p DVD. Basically instead of using pulldown (2:3) on DVD it lets the DVD player format the 24 frames into the proper display sequence for NTSC TV. It's benefitial since you can stuff a bunch more information on a DVD when only exporting 24fps than with standard video.

Back