canon's MA 100 question?

Last night we tested out our new mic (AT835B) using the XLR adapter. I set the audio to all the appropriate modes. Then we realized that you can only record in either left or right channel. Therefore when listening in the headphones you only get it in one ear. I was curious if this is a bad thing, it being recording on one channel. Any suggestions?

No. Microphones are inherently mono anyway.. What you'll do is record on one channel, then in post, you will make that a mono track (so technically it is in stereo center) and pan things around as need be.

For dialogue, it's actually much easier to work with a mono track as the source file.

WAIT!!! While the answer Will gave is technically correct, it's not your best option.

This will TOTALLY SAVE YOUR ASS:

What you REALLY want to do is get a very inexpensive adapter from Radio Shack. This adapter is a Female XLR to Male XLR(x2) splitter. (In essence it allows you to plug your microphone into both mic inputs, sending your signal into both channels. It'll cost you about $5)

Now, set channel 1 to a level that works for your application. There are very formal ways of setting the volume, but just set it to a level where the audio levels (located under the XL1 handle) are full but not peaking out. Once that's set, take channel 2 and decrease the volume to 1/2 what channel 1 is at. (In reality, this will be acheived by adjusting the "balance" knob.) The general effect is that you'll always be recording a second channel of audio at a much lower level, that way, if someone yells or makes a loud noise and ruins the audio on channel 1, you're more likely to have usable audio on channel 2.

When you get to post-production, and any audio is blown out, just cut in channel 2 and see if that's better. Then, pan it all to center like Will said.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers!

-Jim

Will is right, it's one channel, but you should have a sound mixer ride the gain so there is no clipping, etc. You can't just plug a mic into a camera or sound recorder and expect good sound.

...interesting...I have been told to duplicate the channel in post, but this sounds pretty good. Will it work on a DVX 100a? I can check my audio levels on the LCD screen, but if I can get stereo from this adapter thing-ey, that will make things better for me in post.....

--spinner :cool:

indietalk said:
Will is right, it's one channel, but you should have a sound mixer ride the gain so there is no clipping, etc. You can't just plug a mic into a camera or sound recorder and expect good sound.

A sound guy, that would be neat ;)

Of course a location sound mixer is imperative, but it sounded like maybe killedatschool was doing this on his own. I actually tend to pay the sound man double what I pay the cinematographer, because sound is so damn important, and because there's less creative incentive for the sound department (as opposed to the cinematographer, who can create "art" with every image...)

When at all possible, get a location sound person, even if it's your buddy who has a good ear and a cheap rented portable sound mixer.

Back