Question...

I am new to the whole indie film community, and just finished shooting a film this past summer. My co-producer and I are looking to submit our film into festivals this summer. Anybody have any suggestions as to what festivals are fit for first time submissions?
Matt

All of them.

Over the past ten years festivals have become the clearing house for all filmmakers. Festivals that got 400 to 500 entries ten years ago are not getting 1,500 to 2,500. So more than ever it's a numbers game. Type "film festivals" into google and you'll not only find sites like filmfestivals.com but most of the individual festival sites.

withoutabox.com is a great place to learn about festivals. And they make it easy to submit to many festivals without filling out you info over and over. The downside is they don't represent all festivals.

It's really a numbers game. The big, well known festivals (Sundance, Slamdance, Toronto, Boston, Cannes, Santa Barbara, Ann Arbor, Palm Springs) cater to known filmmakers but also accept first timers. Even the newer ones lean heavily towards filmmakers who have some kind of track record. So you should submit to as many as you can afford. Ten to twenty is a really small number. Plan on forty and more.

Getting an award, no matter where from, will help you no end in selling the film. Try and keep submissions logical and if you have a tight budget beware that MOST charge an entrance fee. Saying that we got Left For Dead in two next year (the film is already well sold but we just wanted the prestigue!!!) for free so there are free ones about. you just need to find them!

Back