So now what?

This is going to be my first full length film. I have a business plan, an itemized budget, a great director, a wonderful script, and a crew that is amazing. So what in this equation is missing to make a great film? Answer..... About half of the needed budget. So for me still being a toddler in this industry, how should I go about finding investors for my film???? I’m sure this question has been asked many times before on this form so sorry if it’s a bit repetitive. My set budget is $177200. I have about half but Id rather wait and get the money I need then risk the integrity of my film. What to do..... What to do..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.....

You may try to shoot the film, cut a version that's good enough for festivals, and look for completion funds based on that film.

I was thinking the same thing but the main problem is that I want to shoot on film and that’s where the majority of the money is going. I’ve already cut a lot of the fat. I really don’t want to let anymore go. I have a promo package for the film along with a film resume. I just don’t know who to send it too. What do you think?

...well, once you know what kind of film you have, then you can start looking for money for it. That isn't as silly an answer as you may think.

...who will be impacted, what are you hoping your film will do, is it historical, informational, esoteric? I'm not asking you what the film is about, though you could say in general terms, very general terms, then maybe we could come up with where to send your proposal to...

...you do have a proposal, right? :)

--spinner :cool:

bslazas said:
I was thinking the same thing but the main problem is that I want to shoot on film and that’s where the majority of the money is going. I’ve already cut a lot of the fat. I really don’t want to let anymore go. I have a promo package for the film along with a film resume. I just don’t know who to send it too. What do you think?

try taking an ad out in the Sacramento Bee for investors. Im new to all of this, But estimating how much film you're going to use is kind of hard isnt it. if you're new to this? You cant say how many takes there will be. And I guess working with a high end digital camera (perhaps a rental in the 2megapixle) and then convert it over to 35 would be out of the question? at least you wouldnt have to worry about how many screw ups there will be between takes. that alone has to be 90% of film cost.:huh:

Be careful when taking an ad for investors in a newspaper. Seeking investors is regulated by the Federal and State government.

As somebody who spent far too much making his first feature can I just ask a few questions by way of advice.

1) Have you got distribution for the film?

If the answer is no, in real business terms you are looking at a $177,000 investment into a product with no return value. (Asuming that "if you make a good enough film it will sell" is dangerous thinking).
If the answer is that you do have distribution then raising the investment shouldn't be that hard.

2) Could the film be made for the moeny you have, if you gave up the need to work on film?

Again this is a straight business question. If the film is sales worthy then it isn't going to make a difference to it's market value whether you shoot it on film or HD. In terms of cinematic integrity, I can in all honesty say that HD holds up beautifully when shown in cinemas and only a real geek would be able to tell the difference. Your average theatre goer won't know or care.

HD has the added advantage of being a faster production tool, and when it comes to production budgets taking a week to ten days off your shoot make massive savings. It can also be a lot cheaper in post, depending on how you do it.

What I suggesting you do is stop looking at your film as a work of art and start seeing it as a product. You need to have a realistic understanding of it's market value and from that you can figure out whether it's worth the additional investment.

The other thing is that I suggest that you step back a litle from your artistic integrity and ask yourself whether you aren't just being narrow minded as to your production tools.

Personally with your budget, I'd shoot the whole thing on DVCPro50 (SD) and after the online knock the whole thing up to HD. No one will be able to tell teh difference, it'll transfer to film beautifully and you'll have a better margin on your first feature that will bring investment in on your second.

In addition to what Clive said, I'd recommend setting a deadline for yourself instead of a budget goal. In other words, instead of "we'll shoot this movie when we've raised this amount of money," say to yourself, "we'll shoot this movie in March on the money we have." Otherwise, you could be waiting around forever. That's why even pet projects for successful actors drag on for ten years.

So pick a deadline to start production. And if what you have is $50K, then make a $50K movie. And believe me, it can be done.

directorik said:
Be careful when taking an ad for investors in a newspaper. Seeking investors is regulated by the Federal and State government.

Wow, Sorry, i didnt think about that. Im guessing there are alot of con artist out there who could easily scam people.

There has to be a place where investors do invest in indie projects. Just not 177k.

Back