help please!

Hi guys,

Sorry my first thread is a question but have to hand in a video tomorrow and need some advice, so here it goes:

Does anybody know if I need to get any kind of clearence to use quotations in documentary film?

what I want to use is quotes along these lines:

"There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child."
Frank A. Clark

I would appreciate any help you guys give.;) ;)

I don't know the legality of the quote, but if the quote is credited, then it may OK.

"Just like Frank A. Clark once said: 'There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child.'"

somehting like that.

A quote is just something someone says. Unless you quote a line from a piece of work, such as a song, movie, or book then the copyright may become an issue. But you can't get in trouble quoting someone. If you could give the quote you want to use, it may be easier to tell. But in general, I think you are very safe.

Thanks a lot guys, I apreciate the advice the quotes I want to use are all going to be credited (ie I will state who said them), some are from peices of work, and basically I am using them to back up what I am saying in the documentary.

You guys have put my mind at rest.

Thanks again.

And I look forward to being an active member of this forum- anyone have any FCP questions I will do my best to return the compliment (although I am self thought so you guys will probably know more then me).

Anyways I back to the editing, I still havent learnt not to leave things to the last moment.

:)

Back