• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I Neep Alot Of Advice About Single Camera Productions

i am in the mist of purchasing a Panasonic PV-GS400 and i was wondering is there any limitations to single camera productions. I want to get alot done but my money isnt at the level it should be right now. Any Advice. Also should i purchase a standard film camcorder or digital?

I think it would help if we understood what you plan to do. Are you a hobbyist or aspiring professional? Are you looking to make a short? a feature? Music video or commerical? Corporate presentation videos? I guess the common reaction would be to assume that 2 cameras are better than just one, but I don't think a single camera would be a serious limitation. Again, it depends on the project.

As for standard vs. digital -- assuming you will be doing your editing on a PC or Mac, you would get better results importing digital video.

90% of the projects I shoot are single camera. The limitations are you have to do coverage which eats time, but it gives you the most control because you're not have to compromise the lighting for a 2nd or 3rd camera. It takes planning and you can come up with clever blocking and camera moves to keep it from being too static.

Scott

Back