Question

When it comes to film editing software, there are a number of software packages that claim, of course, that they have the best software available. I know that Final Cut Pro is probably number one - maybe - but is there a film editing package that I could get that would rival or exceed Final Cut Pro <--- for PC???:huh:

Thanx in Advance!!!

Rob

Tough question -- most is based on personal preference. There have been many threads about this in the past. You should try using the Search Forum option for "editing software."

The big ones I know of are (~$500 - $1000+)

Adobe Premiere Pro
Pinnacle Liquid
Sony Vegas
Avid? (don't know anything about this one)

There are also other packages in the mid-range (~$100):
Pinnacle Studio
Sony Vegas Movie Studio Edition

I'm sure there are many others. ULead probably has one available.

Personally, I use Vegas Movie Studio and I like it a lot (better than Pinnacle Studio). I did trial versions of Premiere and Liquid. I didn't care for them as much because they weren't as intuitive to learn. Others will certainly offer their opinions...

First off, Final Cut Pro is not available for PC.

The three viable options left that meet or exceed it for the PC, as mentioned are:

Adobe Premiere (regular and/or Pro versions)
Sony Vegas
Avid Xpress (regular and/or Pro versions)

Vegas is probably the least powerful, with Avid and premiere being fairly close. Premiere has been around the longest, and as such is the industry standard PC solution, with the most available plugins and support available.

Yes, there is a slightly higher learning curve, but it is much more like final cut than vegas is. I agree that vegas is nice, and easy to use, however for the 'most bang for the buck' so to speak.. Premiere is the very best you can get for a 'prosumer' grade product.

Adobe also has a package called the "Adobe Video Collection" which comes in standard and professional flavors, the difference being after effects standard in the standard version, and after effects pro and photoshop cs2 included in the professional version. They both include Premiere Pro 1.5, Audition 1.5 (multi-track audio editor), Encore DVD 1.5 (DVD authoring), and as mentioned above. Here's a comparison chart

Last edited:
By the way, for other options.. if you just want to get your feet wet and whatnot.. there is a cheaper program I've seen recently called 'Video edit magic' which has a free 30 day trial and sells for about $70.. check that out here. And there's always the free version of avid: Avid Free DV

Back