Aquiring filming locations.

I was wondering what it usually takes to aquire rights to film in certain areas. I see alot of films on this site that use great locations and I was wondering what kind of extremedies were taken to get the rights to film there.

Is it a simple, please? Is there money involved? IS it an inside connection?

What is the usual process for getting the approval to use the location?

phone call to the owner, pitch them the story and ask if you can include them...they'll usually be worried that their locations will be used in a negative way or the project will be offensive and reflect badly on their involvement. Screen credit (a special thanks credit) has gotten me every (release signed) location I've used so far.

Generally the main thing is the "what's in it for me" issue. You have to sell the property owner on why letting you film at their location is in their best interest. This could be monetary compensation, free promotion, etc. Typically a small budget indie film or short doesn't really offer the exposure to make the old standby "we'll give you a credit in the film" worthwhile for the location owner, but depending on where this is, the 'wow factor' might be enough.

Smaller towns and areas that don't get a lot of film industry people poking around think it's all glamour & romantic, and whatever.. so the fact that someone wants to use their place in a movie can be enough for them to say yes. Make sure, however, that you get their agreement in writing. People who aren't familiar with the process of making a film don't realize what goes into it, so they might want to change their mind half way through your production. Make sure to get their approval in writing, be very respectful of them and their property and ALWAYS leave the area cleaner than you found it.

Bottom line is, ask, the worst they can say is no... and, as with all else in the film biz, insurance is a good idea, as is plenty of cash. ;)

Also, make sure to provide the owner aas much information as you can, and be as honest as you can with them and keep them in the loop, I've found this happening here in town:

1. owner of location freaks out at first day of shoot and canceled his location (this is if the location was donated free).
- he thought it was a small cast/crew butyou have 30 people
- electricity breaker keeps popping
- cast/crew wondering more than they need to
- cast/crew being obnoxious
- cast/crew not care about keeping things organized/clean
- parking area all taken, location's cliente (if this is a store or such) can't come in and out
- they've lost businesses because of your cast/crew invaded the premises
sometimes after the movie is shot and made noise:
- they don't want to get involved if you don't pay
- they don't want to give you permission since you didn't sign an agreement
- they sue you because the place is a mess afterward... etc

Try to give the owner an agreement to sign, to protect him, you and the cast/crew, make sure in the agreement also spell it clearly what they get, where the film is going etc. Somtimes, they want a proof of insurance as well, might want to keep that in mind

make sure every cast/crew also sign a waiver before actual shooting at the location to protect the owner. the bottom line with them is what their benefit...

Some benefit you can provide:
- credit mention at end of film
- product placement (have their sign or tshirt or whatever in the film)
- monetary compensation
- copies of finished film
- if the location you are being given is over 60% of your shoot schedule, offer associate producer or some sort.

always be courterous, nice, honest and professional, if he said no, thank them and move on. :)

As with many things in life, a lot of the time it's all about being in the right place at the right time... for my first short, I needed a train station/bus station/airport type location, and on a whim walked into the local Amtrak depot one afternoon a few days before the day that segment would be shot and said, "hey I'm working on a small no-budget film, and was wondering if I could shoot here" to which the guy replied, "Sure.. you want to do that now?" I said, "Oh, no.. this weekend, Sunday. And will it be ok if I bring some extra people to make it look a little busier" he says, "How many?" I say, "Hmm.. I dunno, probably 30 or so" with a slightly surprised look on his face he says, "Well, yes, I guess that will be ok" and bingo-bango I scored a sweet location, for free.

Has anyone here got the approval to use an abandoned warehouse or building? I know it would be alot harder to get the ok to use this type of location. Mainly because you would need someone to actually come there to supervise and not many owners would want to waste there time doing that, then all the saftey issues. But has anyone ever successfully gone through this situation?

Im working on a movie that will be filmed next spring and a few scenes need that whole run down building scene.

Plus in CNY, they are everywhere. And they look perfect for filming, well from the outside.

I had permission to use an abandoned brewery for my last project.. it's owned by the city. but a couple weeks before the shoot the brewery caught fire. :( We ended up using a large warehouse full of miscellaneous household items (doors/windows/etc) and it worked much better for the story anyway.

in A Joker's Card, the building we used for all the fight/wire work and such were an abandone warehouse not in usage, the owner had it for 5 years and wasn't planning to tear it down or such, so we build our wire-track on the ceiling and did crazy stuff with it, he didn't bother come and watch us, in fact, he even helped with construction of the track (when the first one we put up there fall apart).

I guessed, first to find out who own them and then get the proper ok, might need proof of insurance as well. Of course, make sure everyone sign waiver so they won't sue the owner as it is abandoned, people might get hurt around it and would come up with some crazy thoughts of how to use the owners for leverage...

Also, for my feature that planned for 2006, we are using 2 abadone warehouse as well, so am about to go through the same thing I did last year. :)

Last edited:
Back