How to hold a successful audition

The follow is a list of steps I've taken for each of the audition sessions I have held, which have all been successful and actors who have auditioned have commented on how smoothly it all went. Which is great, because that means they're more comfortable and will give a better audition performance.

These aren't necessarily in a 1,2,3 order, but, well, here they are:

1. Determine the role(s) you need to audition for (people who don't work for these roles can be easily cast in lesser roles)

2. Select small segments from the script (usually around a page or so) that best embody the overall presence of the role(s) you're trying to cast. These will be your 'sides'.. keep in mind that dialogue AND action is important, and you should have, if possible, another characters dialogue included on these that can be read with the auditioning actor.
A side note on this... if you have an actor friend who is available to help with the auditions it is beneficial to all to have him/her read with the actors auditioning, at the least you should have SOMEONE else read, so you, presumably the director, can pay full attention to the auditioning actor.

3. Find a location to hold your auditions. This will preferably be somewhere that has got a smaller sized room in which to hold the actual auditions, and a seperate 'staging area' for people to wait. Also, your home or apartment should be the absolute LAST choice, as it tends to send the wrong signal to actors, and may very well scare away the one who is perfect for your film.
I have had good luck with a small conference room at a local hotel. Is it free? no. $50 for the day... but, They provide me with a table in the hallway, and have no problem with actors milling around waiting for their audition to begin. (and there's always a free continental breakfast and unlimited free coffee and water too.. BONUS)

4. ANNOUNCE your audition. Where? EVERYWHERE YOU CAN. Get out as much word as you can about the audition to get it in front of the eyes of as many actors as you can. This will greatly increase the likelyhood of auditioning the 'right' actor.
Good places to post a casting call:
What to put in a casting call:

There is certain information that should be included in your casting calls, obviously you can do them however you feel will get the best response, but the following is required...
  • Name of the film
  • Short description of the film
  • The date or dates auditions will be held
  • Contact information (an email address is probably best, ideally one that is set up soley for this audition)
  • Descriptions of the characters being cast, and pertenant info about what you'd like to see..
    Example...
    SHEENA - early-mid 20s, Amazon woman, prefer blonde hair but open to other possibilities
    CHARLES - middle aged, college professor
  • And if there are other roles in the film that you will be casting from those auditions you liked, but aren't right for the specifically listed characters, something along these lines...
    Also casting for 5 supporting roles, all ages, sexes, and looks encouraged.
  • Finally, include an END DATE.
    All headshots and submissions must be received by x/x/xx.
5. Schedule individual audition times. I typically (depending on how many roles I am casting) will devote a day or two days.. FULL (12+ hour) weekend days to casting. Scheduling auditions every 15-20 minutes, with a break sometime for lunch/dinner/whatever.. this break is usually at a weird time though, as it seems most people want the noon time (11-1 or so) slots.

6. Follow up with submissions as promptly as possible, and work with the actors to try and pin down the best possible time slot for them to audition... Go with what works best for them, as it will only serve to get you their best audition performance.. within reason of course, don't let them talk you into a time that is outside your alotted schedule. I tend to go with a 'first come first served' angle on this, as submissions come in, I contact actors in order submissions are received and work on scheduling, of course if I get an answering machine or whatever, move on to the next after leaving a message.

7. After the auditions are scheduled, and all typed/written up on your snazzy organized little audition schedule (you DID make one of these right? Come on, it's basically just a spread sheet with all the time slots listed and actors names written next to the times.. contact info on these is extremely helpful too of course) anyway.. after you've scheduled all the auditions and have looked down your list to see all the gaps, and your sisters friends cousin has told you to stop complaining already about having to wait around for 4 hours on the second day of casting for the last actor to come to the audition... after all that, contact every single scheduled actor, I prefer via email, with all the info about their audition... time, place (including a nice link to a mapquest/yahoo map/etc map to the place, and a number to call if they get lost. Asking them to confirm their audition time is optional, but can be useful, likely though there will still be at least one who even after confirming flakes out on the audition (better now than half way through principle photography though!)

8. Enlist the help of some friendly PAs. The people you're looking for here are the type that can sit all day with basically nothing to do, and still smile and be nice to someone when they walk up and say, "Um... yeah, I have an audition that .. um.. was supposed to be an hour ago" or something like that. The key here is to get enough of these people that you can have one or two of them sitting in the outer area of your audition location the entire day. Whether that's one guy sitting there all day, or 24 taking half hour shifts (not a good idea) there should always be at least one!

9. Secure a video camera and tripod to use at the audition. You will want to video tape every audition, to review later. Have each actor look directly into the camera and say their name clearly (If they have any experience in acting on camera, you can just tell them to 'slate' and they will know what to do..)

Ok... so all the pre-audition stuff is basically done.. Auditions are tomorrow, now what?

By now, you should be armed with your audition location, your helpers, camera with tripod, multiple copies of the SIDES (You'll want probably about 5 copies each to leave on the table outside the room, and one in the room for the actor/producer/PA/whatever that's in there with you to read with the actors) A copy of the audition schedule for each person that will be there the whole day... and, optionally...

I generally bring a slightly reworded version, which includes info about the shoot days and such, of this form graciously supplied by Sonnyboo. Also, I have all my auditioning actors fill out release forms, the reasoning for this is two fold.. a) If I cast them, it's already done and on file, and b) It covers the footage shot during the audition, should I choose to use it for extra feature footage.

Finally, I print up some forms for myself to fill out, these are to help facilitate note-taking on the auditions. I have a sample here. Occasionally I will modify these to have a section the actors can fill in with all their contact info and measurements (useful when it comes to wardrobe).. if I take this route, I have these on the table with the release forms and 'actor info sheet' from Sonnyboo's site, and have the actors bring these in when they come in to read.

Hang a couple signs if possible on the front door, and such pointing the actors in the right way to where you've got your table set up in the staging area outside the audition room. You should ask each actor to arrive 10-15minutes early to give them time to fill out the paperwork and read through the sides. Also, I have often asked that they come with a monologue prepared, this gives you an idea of the contrast between material they know and have studied and stuff they're reading 'cold' (the sides you've provided).

Phew! Finally the last of them have gone, you've seen some great actors, and likely a few terrible ones, it's all on tape, go home and sleep, you've earned it! Take a day or so and then review the tapes.. try to resist making casting decisions until after you've watched the tapes. I find that often the actors whose performances I really liked in person aren't as strong on the tape as some of the others I was on the fence about. The reason you should wait a day or two before delving into these tapes is to, well recover from the long casting session for one thing, but mostly, let your head clear a bit so you can watch them all objectively (we hope) again.

Should you find yourself torn between a couple actors for a role, you can either just cast one of them, or hold a call back audition. Hopefully by now you've got another major player cast, and can convince them to come and read a scene that comprises their character and the character the actors are being called back for, this will help the decision making immensely, being able to see the chemistry between them.

Ok, this is a very long post, and I think I've covered the basics.. I'll post more if I missed something or anyone has any questions/comments/etc.. Hope this helps for those who were interested. :D

Mandy.com and NYCastings.com

We sent out an announcement for the lead actress role in our new film, "Sketched" on mandy.com and nycastings.com (since the production is in New York). We were looking for a 22-year old woman who would do a (very tasteful) nude scene. We posted the role on those sites and that spidered into probably 10 more sites (aquamatrix is great for talent). Let me tell you (and this is NOT a made up number) ... in TWO days I had 102 very attractive women dying for this part.

I agree with the fact that you should post it wherever you can but keep in mind that being a *bit selective on your first pass might be a good idea (start regionally). There are many, many out-of-work actors out there.

Lucky for me I was casting a part for an attractive 22-year-old woman instead of a 68-year-old bald man.

Shawnie: They are microsoft word documents. So you need either MSWord or a program that can import word files.

Alphie: True, but, then you can always just <ahem> accidentally loose certain submissions too.

I typically will also include something in the post that says "local actors only, unless willing to provide own transportation and lodging" which seems to work well, though I still tend to get a few from LA and chicago anyway. Also I've noticed that there are a number of other websites that will 'harvest' these listings and repost them on their own site, which is all fine and well, but I've gotten phone calls from actors 6 months after production wrapped asking about the audition. It's like they don't even bother to look at the end date.

Will’s post is really great, it gives a detailed info on how to run a successful audition, thank you. I wanted to add some processes I do with my auditions in addition to what Will'd posted :) I usually don’t hold open auditions, but when I do, I would make sure everyone is happy :)

In addition to using forms and waivers so I can utilize the taped material for future needs that is related to the film, I also incorporate these:

At the audition, we give each actor a number and ask them to stand on a white background and being photographed, we then print out the photos and stapled along with their audition form and headshots/resumes. I like to do this so I have an exact idea what they look like at the audition. And because all these pictures have a number which coincide with their form’s, if we didn’t staple them together, we would know who’s who. Not to mention if we look at the pictures on the computer, we would know these people. The other reason is because I prefer to have an idea who they are instead of what they look like with glamorous shots :)

If my audition time is limited, and I anticipate a lot of people coming to try out, what I do is within the audition form, I have a line to asked what roles are they auditioning for (obviously a character breakdown is needed earlier, and it is also posted at the waiting room for those who yet to read the whole thing – interesting enough, we have found a lot of people tend to skip email entirely and read only the first line or two)

If we anticipate a lot of people, then based on what they write on the audition form, we would group them in 2s and 4s (2s for the main roles, and 4s are for the supporting or minor roles) then we bring each group in and give each group 30s time to think of a scenario that we provided to them and they have to act it out (the improv audition is useful to help relaxes the actors and also help us look at their range of emotions available at our disposal, note, we do provide scenarios that we can see their emotion range, not something like driving a car, some example for groups of 2: “you are brothers, one of you just received a phone call, that your father had a car accident and he didn’t make it” , or “both are good friends but because of a girl, you started to get mad at each other after a night of drinking” etc.

From the improve audition we rate them, putting a score number on their audition form (5 is best, 1 is least), then those who hold a 2 or 1 (because they just stood there doing nothing, or otherwise), we thank them for coming and send them packing. Those who score a 3 are usually will be considered for extra/minor roles/one-line roles, etc, for those scoring 4 and 5, we asked them to stay a bit longer and later, provide them sides and ask them to come in again for a read.

With the side read, we re-evaluate them and then we ask them to come back 4 weeks later for a 2nd read, this time, providing them more indepth info, like suggesting them what type of movies to check it out so they would be in tuned with the vision/style I’m looking for, plus providing each of them the complete outline of the story, so they are aware of the timeline, and also a more detailed character breakdown… (we are doing the 2nd read for The Rapture this Sunday with 5 potential candidates).

With my last audition for The Rapture, we also ask those scored 3 and above to tryout for wire-harness testing, we hang up above ground and asked them to try some kicks, and we would note on the audition form how well they’ve done (ie, if they were comfortable being suspended or not), this would help us to understand how much additional wire-work walkthrough we need to do with them, because Rapture will have a lot of people being wired and thrown around. (you can check out some pictures taken at www.mdifilm.com/rapture) For this audition, we didn’t anticipate much other than the roles we needed (which is minimal) so we had set audition time on a Saturday afternoon from 1pm to 5pm, yet, we had 55 people auditioned and we went through them very quickly. Afterward, many of them came to me or emailed us telling us how smooth and organized the audition was and they were grateful to have a chance to be ‘involved’. Many even asked if they can help in anyway, they would.

At the waiting room (like Will, I have 2 rooms: one for waiting/form filling and photo taking, the other room is for actual audition, where about 8 of us sat on one area with our eyes on the talent, and a volunteer videotaping the whole thing). We also have placed a video projector that is playing some of my previous work (A Joker’s Card), reason was simple, if they watch the film and didn’t think they are interested to get involved, they can walk away right then, or if they get bored and didn’t want to talk to anyone else, they can relax and watch the film, either way, they are not just sitting there doing nothing. :)

The waiver that everyone signed is really good (like what Will did) and it’s just a good practice to protect everyone. Sometimes you get to see some actors that would ‘modify’ the waiver to suit their needs, one in particular, added the word “this waiver is only for the audition usage”, while she also insisted to jump ahead of everyone so she can go home, cause she has another appointment… (even though she came like 4pm) Interesting enough, we didn’t comply with her request but after her audition, she stayed till 6pm (she didn’t leave right away). But because of what she had requested and what she did with the waiver, I highly doubt that we would want to have her involved. ;)

We did post our audition info all over the place and gotten a lot of people from all around the nation interested, and one thing we realized, it was a bit crazier and logistically harder if we cast one of our main role from LA or FL, simple because of testing, wire-work rehearsing, fight choreographing etc, it would be a nightmare down the road, so we decided to thank those who submitted and limited our ‘driving’ distance to be within 2 hours.

I realized, if we were auditioning one at a time and we have plenty of time, then it should be done so, but if there were a lot competing with similar roles, I personally like to group them and going through an improve session first, it brings out what they can or can’t do, and from there to give them a side to follow up. So that’s just me.

Johnny Wu
www.mdifilm.com

Back