Need some clarification...

Hi everyone, I am planning on shooting a comedy short in the near future. There will be scenes with dialouge which will be recorded onto a separate device (most likely a mini DV camera).

Many have suggested that, in order to have the sound match up correctly and consistantly with the film, I need to have crystal-sync. In my research on the net, only the Beaulieu Pro (models 6008, 7008 and 9008) have crystal-sync already onboard. Any other camera will need to have crystal-sync "installed" to the tune of $500.

BUT, i have seen that the Canon 814 XL-S and 1014 XL-S have what is called a "digital timing circuit that ensures that they run quite close to the indicated filming speed".

Is this Canon's version of crystal-sync? Does it work as well? Or, better yet, will it work well enough to get the job done without having my scenes look like badly dubbed kung-fu movies?

Robert said:
BUT, i have seen that the Canon 814 XL-S and 1014 XL-S have what is called a "digital timing circuit that ensures that they run quite close to the indicated filming speed".
It's still not a constant speed motor, it's basically saying when you put the switch at 24 fps, it's running pretty close to that. Fancy talk, but that's the way all non-crystal speed motors work.

But, am I correct in assumming that, since the manufacturer (back in 79') seems to be touting the CPU as a revolutionary thing, that the motor works better than other cameras at keeping proper speed?

I guess my main dilemma is cost. A good Canon will be around $200 to $400, whereas the Beaulieu Pros seem to run a few hundred more. Just need to know if paying the extra cost on a Beaulieu is a necessity because the Canon won't be as good by a wide margin.

Hey, that film was cool!! Very nice work, Zensteve!

BTW, what is different about the 814 AZ vs. 814 XL-S?

Zensteve, did you dubbed those voices in the version that's up now? If so, did you redub because of performace, or because the sound was off-sync from the film? Have you had any sound-sync issues with the 814?

I wouldn't sweat the crystal thing too much.If your camera holds a pretty constant speed anyway,your sync shoudn't drift that much.NLE's make it really easy to sync in post,to just slip in a frame or two or snip a frame there.If you're recording your audio with a minidisc recorder or flash recorder,your sync should hold.

I used to wild sync a Beaulieu R 16 or Arri M with a c/s motor and a Nagra 3 with a Jensen crystal.It was pretty easy then to post sync on a Steenbeck,it should be easier now in a NLE suite.

Back