Reusing Titles

Okay, say I want to make a movie about a slug named Jack, and Jack gets abducted by aliens and eventually blown up. As you can see, no connection to the Robin Williams movie "Jack". But I want to name my film Jack. Can I do it? For those who care, our movie wants to be called "Rosetta", but has nothing to do with "Rosetta" from 1999; ours isn't even about a girl, it's about the stone. Anyone know?

thanx --worldwide

My understanding is that titles cannot be copyright protected, therefore it is okay to use a title already used by another movie, book, album, etc. (unless the title has been trademarked, then you could have an issue). However, since this is a legal issue, I would suggest getting a second opinion from someone with an actual legal education.

I just recently researched trade marks and anything can be trade marked, however a REGISTERED trademark is more solid in a court of law. a TM is when you've sent for registration an R is when it has been registered.

So look for a trademark, but I seriously doubt that someone could trademark a name.

You can search all the trademarks. If you want the link, let me know and I can find it for you.

Again from my understanding you could call your film Jaws and get away with it (more so if it's not TM) and names like 'Jack' that are real names and uncreated are far easier to reuse ('Left For Dead' my film, has two films with similat titles!")

Phil Hobden
--Modern Life?--
Sage Like Wisdom... No cost!

Back