Making Music

I need to have great orchestral music; my upcoming film will simply not do without it. Something like Garageband won't do at all, I need something that can emulate an orchestra or something of the like, and I have a relatively small budget. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanx --worldwide

Depends on what You mean with "great" orchestral score. Great as in bombastic or great as in "outstanding"...

It seems like You want to do it Yourself (otherwise, drop me a mail or a PM ;) ), and Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) has been mentioned. It is one good alternative (which include Cubasis sequencer and a notation program if You do not already have these), but there are others as well. Reason was also mentioned which is a good "stand-alone" package for this, though its strength may not primarily be orchestral arranegments.

East-West Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra (EWQLSO) comes in some different flavors (as well as prices) - silver edition is in the same price-range as GPO. One difference is that EWQLSO is more "Hollywood"-ish, whereas GPO is a bit less "over the top". IMHO GPO is a bit easier to work with, but may not sound as good in the end.

There are also a couple of other libraries that includes a complete symphonic orchestra. MOTU Symphonic Instrument is one... Though I have not worked with it the impression I get is that it is quite rich when it comes to the number of instruments You get and the sound is "Zimmer-oriented", but it lacks the finesse and somewhat realism of the others.

Then You can get Sampletank or libraries for use with GigaStudio...

Except for the GPO, all alternatives requires some means of putting the notes together (sequencer or notation program for instance)...

Regards,
Rico

Melody Assistant or Harmony Assistant from www.myriad-online.com are decent choices. It's shareware, but it's definitely worth the cost. I've used Melody Assistant for many years (not so much lately), and I'm very impressed with the program. It's worth a look at if nothing else. Demo is free only you can't export anything.

James

Back