What have we got to share?

Every now and again I kick off a thread that gives people a chance to share anything useful they've learned in the last couple of months.

Well, it's that time again.

Here's mine

1) Regardless of how good your idea is or your skill at writing dialogue, without an understanding of structure it's almost impossible to write a good screenplay and tha Moive Outline and Final Draft are worth every penny I invested in them.

2) That it's possible to make a great film and still loose everything you own, if you don't pay enough attention to how you're going to sell the film when it's done.

3) That script services like inktips and script pimp really do help you get your screenplay read

4) That when you've got no money to make films, you can always write.

5) That anywhere you go in teh world you'll find film makers trying to solve the same basis problems, how to make a films that sell for more than you spend making them

6) That no matter how many years you've worked as a professional writer or how many awards you've won, there is always more to learn.

Never underestimate the importance of sound in your movie. Our current movie was fairly well received (somewhat to my surprise) with most of the compliments going to our sound design. I doubt it would have been viewed so favorably without the same level of sound production.

1.On writing:
Run an ‘ing search through the words in your action lines and eliminate them.
Doing so can make the action direct, add readability (which lends pace and punch to
a script) and give you more white space on the page and/or more room to effectively
tell your story.

2.On collaborations:
When foremost is NOT who is getting all the credit, the process can be far more creatively conducive.

3.On life:
In some cases you can be two things in this world, an Einstein or a Frankenstein.

4.In general:
Try at all cost to avoid falling asleep with a coffee bean stuck in your nose.

-Billy-

There is defiantely a superb indie movie in a combination of these two pieces of advice

Unfortunately, I've learned that you should get your paycheck before the boss spends it on bail.

and

Do not allow actors to find out where your mom's leg waxing kit is and fall and fall asleep

LOL @ Clive

Although I agree with the statement that you should find all the gerunds in your writing, I do not subscribe to deleting them all.

I like Billy's format...

1. On writing: Search for every *ly in your writing and make SURE you need them. 90% of the time, the only thing adverbs do is suck the power out of your verbs.

2. On collaborations: Never work with your neighbor on a hand shake, always get it in writing.

3. On life: When ever someone asks you for a quote, do a preemptive strike and just say, "Here's my quote, 'I was misquoted.'"

4. In general: Never be the first one to pass out at a party. Failing that, hide all the paint on the premises.

1. Chocolate is not an adaquate source of nutrition.
2. Always label your tapes after you use them, or you'll have a pile of tapes to go through.
3. Get location release forms signed before you shoot- never leave it for afterwards... two places we have filmed at have gone out of business, and friends who have let us use thier building have been evicted...
4. Business cards are SO great when you have to leave contact info in a jiffy

No fluff

1. On writing: Haven't written much as of late.

2. On collaborations: People are great. Working with a group of professionals and getting everyone's ideas into something that works for an audience is great!

3. On life: Never have I felt so helpless when my cast and crew was attacked by tornadoes and a BIG A$$ hurricane. I learned that everyone that participated in this film believe in it and were willing to do whatever it took to get it done by the deadline. I learned that I COULD do something from afar and raised quite a bit of money for someone that really needed it. I learned that this community of filmmakers is a great group of people and are willing to help others even though they never actually met. I learned that IndieTalk and the Sanctuary were the most compassionate of people. I also leanred that people can take a film for what it's worth, wether it's done or not, and accept it for what it is.

4. In general: Be who you are and don't try to fluff yourself up. People see right through that.:yes:

- CootDog

Fly High
Live Large
Dream BIG!

I learned that I have a ways to go before I become what I want to be.

I learned that I have the ability to generate great ideas, now I just need to get them out.

I learned that Research is far more important than some would have us believe.

I learned that you can't trust every screenwriter's thoughts on how to write a script, everyone is different and just because person a does it a certain way doesn't mean that person b can get by that way.

I learned that there are certain people out there that are willing to lend a hand for no other reason than it's the right thing to do.

Poke

...well, you better believe I have learned alot over the last 3 weeks, but its late so I'll only give a few for now...

1. ...and I'll say it again: never underestimate the power of good crew.

2. Never underestimate how necessary sleep is. Without it, even if you can function, your brain is slower, your thoughts are slower, it will take you longer to figure things out even if they are relatively quick fixers. You may be able to keep it up for a while, but eventually it will knock you down.

3. Even if you can do a shoot by yourself, it is a good idea to have a second person on anyway. If things go wrong, you have another person to troubleshoot ideas with.

4. ALWAYS REMEMBER: You can't fix bad audio once recorded; you can't fix bad video once shot. You can try to compensate for it, but my observation has been that it will come out bad.

5. Wireless technology only works if where you are has wireless technology. If not, you are without internet, period, my friend.

6. Sometimes things will go wrong and you will be powerless to fix them. It doesn't mean you don't know what you are doing. It means the things you can't effect, touch or lay hands on to correct are out of your hands. The End.

7. You have to do everything yourself. And when you realize this, realize also that you CAN'T do everything yourself. No matter how much you may want to, need to or be compelled to.

8. Ultimately, you must take responsibility for everything that happens on your shoot, both good and bad.

...I think that is enough for right now....

--spinner :cool:

Ouch... Been there...

bird said:
Unfortunately, I've learned that you should get your paycheck before the boss spends it on bail.
I feel your empty pockets...

What I've learned lately:

1) You can NEVER have enough research for a screenplay. The more you have, the more authentic the screenplay becomes.

2) Act like you're on the same level as the big boys EVEN WHEN YOU'RE NOT. LOL.

3) Everyone I meet lately is sizing me up to take me out of the picture. It's all a massive chess game but as long as you're willing to work circles around the competition, you survive. You may not survive with everyone but you'll survive.

4) When some other prodco is out there making a film that sounds a little similar to a film your prodco is making, everyone goes friggin' nuts until they can get their hands on the script... Usually by clandestine methods.

5) That most Hpllywood types I'm meeting are neurotic and don't know what to do when confronted with someone who doesn't take their shit but they're too politically correct to tell you to pack sand...

filmy

FilmJumper said:
3) Everyone I meet lately is sizing me up to take me out of the picture. It's all a massive chess game but as long as you're willing to work circles around the competition, you survive. You may not survive with everyone but you'll survive. filmy

...you hang in there, its YOUR story and YOU understand it better than they do....

--spinner :cool:

I think the last person we have to worry about hanging in there is filmy. Frankly, his determination scares me sometimes.

I am also scared of bumble bees...if you were curious.

Poke

1) The shower is the best place to think and get ideas (about anything).

2) Don't be too hard on yourself.

3) Never believe that others don't appreciate your work or admire your talent (I don't make films;I design and make jewellery, but want to write a story that has been on my mind for some years despite the fact I don't have a clue how to write).

4) The longer an idea stays in your mind instead of becoming a reality, the more it becomes a thorn in your side.

5) Santa Claus is not real:(

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Back