Our Story, for those who care about others than themselves

HA, bet you couldn't resist clicking here now!

well, I'm not going to lie; I hate money. I hate irrelevancies, and things that stop us from making art. We (myself and three others) are high schoolers, who try, as best we can to emulate real film. It has only been in the past year or so that we stopped making "fan films" or highly copied shorts, and now we have about a year and a half together before we part ways. of the 4, I am the only one who has decided to pursue film as a career, and who knows I may not stick with it (but i'll always do something with art). We friends have slowly reached the conclusion that film is hugely important to humanity, as is art as a whole, and in that past year we have decided to start making serious films, which we believe delve into humanity more than comedy does, although we love them both. All we want to do is to create something where people can feel or, even better, cry. To get to the point where we can have our Frodo crawling up the hill and where people can sympathize. We hate our infintesimally small budget, and in our quest for serious material we are forced to use copyrighted material, and thus not be able to sell them. But it's okay, because eventually I come out of the day happy, knowing that, hopefully, I have created something that means something. What a worlds

Your thoughts?

worldwidestudios said:
HA, bet you couldn't resist clicking here now!

We hate our infintesimally small budget, and in our quest for serious material we are forced to use copyrighted material, and thus not be able to sell them. But it's okay, because eventually I come out of the day happy, knowing that, hopefully, I have created something that means something. What a worlds...
Your thoughts?

...this falls under the heading of 'practice'. No you can't use copyrighted material, but you have to start to get an eye for things and if you are in HS, then you are practicing. btw, you haven't said what kind of copyrighted stuff you are using, music, video...

...eventually you will be able to figure out the best way to do what you want to do, and you are lucky, you are starting out early. If you need music, I would bet you could find somene in your school who belongs to a band. What band wouldn't want to try out some soundtrack work, even if it is practice? Good Luck...

--spinner:cool:

in our quest for serious material we are forced to use copyrighted material
You will never be able to convince me of this. Nobody is ever forced to use copyrighted material. If you're really looking into a career in film, this just may rear up and bite you on the a$$ one of these days. I wish you all the luck your skills and talent can afford you but using somebody else's materials, ideas, music, what ever, is a line that shouldn't be crossed for profit or not.

What's wrong with your own imagination? Don't you like your own ideas? Inquiring minds want to know.

All we want to do is to create something where people can feel or, even better, cry. To get to the point where we can have our Frodo crawling up the hill and where people can sympathize.
To get to that point you can follow the same path that Peter Jackson followed.

Rather than hate your infinitesimally small budget, use your lack of money to be more creative, to make small movies that will show off your passion and talent and artistic vision.

Embrace what you have rather than hate it. Use what you have now rather than lament what you don’t have. It isn’t lack of money that stops you from making art.

Stop making movies using copyrighted material that you can’t sell and start making movies using your own material that you can. You might hate money, but if you make art that makes money you will get to the place where you can have your Frodo crawling up the hill and where people can sympathize. It didn’t happen to Peter Jackson while he was in high school and it might not happen for you while still in high school. But it can happen.

Back