Premiere Pro Output

Hey guys, new here...been reading for a while and dig the site.

Two quick questions...shooting on a panny 3ccd (I think it's a PV-GS150; camera is at home I am at work) and importing to premiere through firewire; shooting at 1/60 and was wondering what is my best bet to get a 'film' look using premiere. I have tried the 2 video layers with lower field and higher field visible for each respectively, but it's not capturing the 'look' enough. Just curious if anyone had any insight on that end.

Also, for a 35mm adapter, I have googled it but can't find any DIY versions...does anyone have a decent link or guide they can provide me with? I'll even give you research creds! (going into a few festivals).

Thanks so much guys, appreciate any help you can offer.

/EDIT: nevermind the adapter...I don't have interchangable lenses on this camera. :(

Last edited:
Try the "posterize time" filter and set it to 24. That might give you decent results. Color grading is also very helpful. I don't use the tools in Premiere much as I prefer to use "Color Finess" in AE.

For a guide try www.redrockmicro.com. There are other resources on the net which are free, of course, if you look hard enough.

Color Finess works in Premiere too.. ;)

digitalmatty: Get yourself a copy of Magic Bullet (For after effects, so if you don't have that you'll need it too) and convert your footage to 24p with it.. Then, as Shaw said.. color grading (or color correction, same thing, different name) helps a lot.. but you can only do so much.. so make sure to get the best quality source material you can. That means proper time and budget alotted to lighting and sound.. the two areas most skimped on by far too many people.

To do a 35mm adapter-type thing with that camera you could try one of these...

mo006.jpg

Check out Marla The Movie for a demo of what it along with a TON of time spent in post can do for you..

wow great stuff, thanks so much, I had demo'd bullet a while back for premiere, but am picking up AE next week as it happens, so I will surely check that out. I for sure am taking painstaking steps to ensure proper lighting and sound...as I know what you are saying, it is usually looked past by most. That adapter looks slick, I will check that out and see how feasible it is for my situation.

Thanks so much guys!
Matt

Will Vincent said:
I tried playing with that adapter setup.. and while it was neat.. you definately need a lot of light.

yeah, I am sure you lose tonnes, especially tought unless you shoot in the recommended 1/50 or so, cause then you get the ghosting...I am inclined to try it out though...although first things first, magic bullet is indeed a great idea.

just found out I can rent an ARRI SR II for 80 bucks a day, not familiar too much with the camera, but how do you get the footage to your computer, or is it a different process?

/EDIT: man, I am on crack, didn't even THINK about the FILM part of things...hahahaha, WHOOPS!

Last edited:
Excellent point Will! I just never use it in PPro as I usually have to transfer to AE for work there anyway. Good to know though. I had completely forgotten.

but you can only do so much.. so make sure to get the best quality source material you can.

It sounds like you're already aware of this but do take this advice seriously! If you want to play with the colors you need source footage that is near perfect as you can only do so much before things start to look like crap. I used the term color grading as I didn't wish to imply correcting improper exposure and/or white balance.

digitalmatty said:
yeah, I am sure you lose tonnes, especially tought unless you shoot in the recommended 1/50 or so, cause then you get the ghosting...

The biggest problem I had was that it was very heavily vignetted.. bright in the middle, dark in the corners.. but again.. I never actually built the rig, just played with the two cameras together a bit and pointed it around the poorly light house.

But with proper lighting.. that shouldn't really be an issue, I guess it would depend on the ground glass too. I had a hell of a time finding the right ground glass, ended up having to get one for a different camera model and 'make it work'

Back