Low-Power Explosives

I need to make a chunk of a tree fly off in a new film we are planning to shoot- can anyone give me some advice on how to make it look like a gunshot has just ripped off a piece of bark without sending wwodchips flying everywhere?(an actor will have to run by the tree as this is happeneing)

Since I am a licensed pyrotechnician these discussions are a bit sensitive. An m80? Shaw, an m80 taped to a tree has the potential to explode causing great damage. Even a little tape, placed in just the wrong way can restrict the powder just enough to make it very dangerous.

There are ways to do this effect without scarring the tree (not a tree hugger here - just thoughtful of the property owner be it city, county, state or private) and keeping the performers safe. If you are going to use any kind of explosive - even low explosives - please hire a pro and have the proper insurance.

I regret I was being a bit sarcastic there directorik which is by far not my norm (I think at least :hmm: ). Guess it's just been a long day. My apologies cjm5130. :blush:

I've played with enough explosives in the past to fear them (read "hurt myself" - luckily no permanent damage)! I actually refuse to use them on set these days even if I could get a pyrotechnician. I'd much rather do these things in post. What sort of post capabilities do you have cjm5130? I'm sure you could find some people around here who could help if you want to go digital.

I seemed to have missed the sarcasm. As I mentioned, when it comes to explosives I get really sensitive. I've seen first hand what one minor little mistake can do - even when you're being very careful.

I know a lot of people are doing those kinds of effects in post now-a-days. I think THAT make me a bit sensitive too... ;)

Well there's nothing wrong with getting a licensed pyrotechnician to blow a chunk out of a tree but what about the poor tree?!?! (my Berkley roots are showing). Do it digitally and it saves you money and a tree. ;)

the thing is- i would tell you my digital capabilities, but i really dont know them- in this movie im just the makeup/costume artist ad a lead acting role and since i was doing blood special effects, they figured i was capable of making a tree blow up. im pretty sure we can do it in post-prod though. (but i really hate that method) and dont worry- i wont use an m-80

I seemed to have missed the sarcasm

Yeah, that's my fault. I'm hardly ever sarcastic so when I AM it just doesn't register with most people. I guess I'm too serious for my own good most of the time? Anyway..

I know a lot of people are doing those kinds of effects in post now-a-days. I think THAT make me a bit sensitive too...

:D

Don’t discount the use of compressed air, acting and sound effects.

Here’s what I would do: Cut and paint a small piece of a paper cup. Attach a length of tubing to the cup and tape this to the tree - touch it up with water based paint so it blends in. Remember, it will be on screen for a very short time and the audience will be engaged in the action and watching the actor. Gather some debris from the ground and put it in the cup. Using an air compressor, a can of compressed air or good old fashioned lung power blow the debris out as the actor passes.

If the actor reacts and you put in the proper sound effect it will look great.

I used flour in the end of a garden hose to get a visible debris puff from my car accident where the cars don't actually touch...looks great. Good ol' lung power.

Back