Different Roles in Filmmaking

I've recently started a project in university where we have to make a five minute film in a group of four. Giving each other roles was easy, however after being made director a friend of mine working with us said he wanted to be cinematographer so he could pick how each scene was shot.

I told him this was pretty much down to the director (although not in a greedy sense, we'll all be chipping in) but then I was wondering myself exactly what a cinematograhper does.

If somebody could outline these roles for me it'd be great.

Producer (I read that it involved organising and getting everything ready and arranging times/cast etc)
Director (i was under the impression that they generally were behind the camera and chose camera angles, shots, tone of the scene etc)
Cinematographer (big confusion here)

Cheers

In general the Director of Photography is responsible for all aspects of the photography including choice of camera, lighting and camera angles and moves.

Some directors leave all of this to the DP, some tell the DP exactly where to put the camera, some collaborate as a team.

I prefer to let the DP make all the photographic, lighting, angle and coverage choices. But that's because I always hire a DP who knows more about that aspect than I do. We do it as a team and ultimately it's my final decision, but I almost always defer to the expert.

This may be an interesting way for you to work on this project. Let the DP have more control over the angles, moves and coverage - after all this is a team effort and a learning experience. That way you (the director) can spend your time with the actors and the blocking.

If you (the director) find that you can't trust the eye of this particular DP, then maybe on your next movie you will make all the photographic decisions.

I personally like working with the DP in the pre-production stage. That's when you can storyboard how you're going to shoot it. That way, when it comes time for production, everyone is on the same page and everything goes smoother. In this way, the Director and the DP decide how the film will be shot as a collaboration.

when working with the DP, I tell him what I want, vision, the shots, the angles and see if the DP can come up with the proper lighting environment for it, then he can help me make the look I am hoping for, at times, my 'vision' is less possible to be done than what I envisioned (in an indie environment) then he would step up the plate and tell me out flat, sorry, not with this type of small room for those crazy style you are looking for, so perhaps this and that then? and I would say go ahead, make the magic.

For me, I rely on what the DP can get my vision across and while keeping in the type of 'angle' shots I'm hoping for...

Johnny

Also, not all DP's know lighting. In some cases you will need a separate Lighting Director.

Rankles said:
Cheers guys, but I'm taking it's not uncommon for Directors to assume these roles for themselves a lot of the time?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you're trying to find a way to keep more control over the shots and angles than the guy who wants to shoot the project.

It's not uncommon for directors to assume control over all aspects of cinematography. If that's what you want to do, then tell the team up front that you - as director - will have final say, although not in a greedy sense.

My suggestion is to allow more people more say on this project - that way each person has a chance to learn and gain experience. But as the director, you can tell the others exactly how you want the shots done. There really are no "rules" regarding the director/director of photography relationship.

I've always difered to the DOP when it came to choosing camera angles, usually after a discussion about how I'd like the shot framed. Sometimes I'll suggest a shot that I want, but my previous DOP always knew what wanted anyway from pre-prodution discussion about the style of the film.

directorik said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you're trying to find a way to keep more control over the shots and angles than the guy who wants to shoot the project.

It's not uncommon for directors to assume control over all aspects of cinematography. If that's what you want to do, then tell the team up front that you - as director - will have final say, although not in a greedy sense.

My suggestion is to allow more people more say on this project - that way each person has a chance to learn and gain experience. But as the director, you can tell the others exactly how you want the shots done. There really are no "rules" regarding the director/director of photography relationship.

Oh don't get me wrong this isn't a greed thing, it's not actually about the project itself as we'll all have equal input here as that's only fair. This is more for clarification on a personal level for when I begins hooting my own stuff next year.

Rankles said:
Oh don't get me wrong this isn't a greed thing, it's not actually about the project itself as we'll all have equal input here as that's only fair. This is more for clarification on a personal level for when I begins hooting my own stuff next year.

Just my two cents.. Collaboration is great, but in the end the director is boss. In the end someone needs to approve the framing, performances, set design, changes to the script, etc. etc... if nobody is in charge then you will likely spend more time than necessary debating each point of the process with the strongest creative personality winning in the end and becoming "the director". A symphony has one conductor and films nearly always have one director for a reason - things get pulled into too many different directions when there is no director or the director isn't assertive.

Back