Identity theft.

I got a phone call from my credit card agency stating that someone tried to purchase a big screen TV in Romania with my account. It was declined, but my account had to be shut down for security reasons.
This is actually kinda freakin me out, cause I have no friggin idea how that person got hold of my info, and I have no idea what other things he might know about me.
I haven't purchased anything on my credit card ever in years.
Anyone know any measures to take to prevent anymore of this BS? I'm scared that the person might know my bank account and steal the 15 dollars I have left in my checking.

SH*T!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, but I could really use some help.

:(

I actually know a lot about this as I am in technology risk management.

Do you ever use a cordless phone or cell phone to place orders where you give out your information like credit card number, mothers maiden name, social security number, date of birth? Why, it's LEGAL to use a scanner and LISTEN to these conversations. It's ILLEGAL to use that information in a malicious manner.

Do you have virus protection software with the latest definitions? Do you ALSO have a spyware and adware remover? Spyware and Adware are not detected by many of the virus protection programs. GET adaware and spybot, use google.com to find them. Download them install them and run them If not weekly, then monthly.

Do you go to websites and have your browser "Automatically" log you in each time? YOU're saving your username and password on your computer. If your computer is compromised, then that information is open game.

Do you mail checks to pay your bills? Do you put them in your mailbox then put up the little red flag? WHY! You are advertising to all the criminals that you have checks in your mailbox... They take the check, wash it and write it out to whomever they want, for whatever amount they want.

Anything else?? Yea!

I type in all my usernames/passwords except for non essential places like forums and stuff. And yes, my username and password are all different.
I already have Mcaffee, Spybot, and Adaware all updated with full system scans. I even have mozzilla firefox.
I don't have a cell phone, and I don't use my mailbox to send mail.

when they called and said someone had used your information...did they ask for any account imformation to help you clear it up?

Have you ever left your check blanks on the car seat?

Also, credit card numbers can be automagically generated by little apps that are relatively easy to find on the internet...No, I won't link one. Could have just been an unluckily generated credit card number for you.

The person did not ask for information, my blank checks are always at home.
The credit card guy who called did say the method was through a counterfeit card, so maybe it was just plain bad luck.'

To be on the safe side though, I'm gonna close all my accounts and have them transfered.

Well you're doing all the right things. Unless your banking institution was compromised!

I think changing all of your accounts is a great idea...

Also, get a credit report from all 3 agencies and check for anything in there abnormal.
I think the government's site is http://annualcreditreport.com

Keep us posted!

Another thing to look out for, and I've just recently learned this... is hotel room keys.

When you go to a hotel and they use the "credit card" style room keys with a magnetic strip, sometimes they put your information on them. This COULD include credit card information...

Best thing is to scratch the hell out of that and cut it apart...

Also get a shredder/chopper

Back