New to Independent Films

I am new to the feild of Film making, I am currently in school for it right now and plan on doing my own film in the spring of 2006. I am planning on using a Canon GL2 to film the movie, If anyone has any feed back or any suggestions on the type of equipment I should use would be very helpfull.

Welcome Ed!

There are tons of opinions already posted throughout the various forums on this site. Feel free to check them out! Once you have a movie, you can post a link to it in our screening room and our highly reputable (?) members will offer their feedback. The members here are always constructive, rarely insulting. (The insulters usually go away after a while, realizing they don't fit in here).

Good luck!

Thank you for welcoming me, I do not insult others visions either, instead I will offer as much helpful feedback as possible. I need to know more about what type of mics to use with the GL2 as well as editing systems and people who do editing.

Hey Ed, welcome to the board, hope you enjoy your stay. ;)

Mics huh, well depends on how much you want to spend. I hear (worked for me too) that starting out with a shotgun mic is a very nice place to start.

The Azden ECZ-990 for $60 is on the very low end.
Sennheiser MKE 300 for $160 kind of low middle price range.

Prices go up from there. Let me point you to B&H Photo/Video/Pro Audio web site to see for yourself.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Plugging the mic into the camera might produce some unwanted sounds. Do some tests and see for yourself if you like it or not. A seperate audio system may be better.

Editing depends on if you're a Mac or a PC guy. I bought Vegas 6 and learned it very quickly, my friend has Avid and that program still baffles me. I've seen Adobe Premiere and it ranks up there with Avid.

Avid makes a light version too, not as expensive, I've never tried it so I don't know. On the low end of non-linear editors you can check out Ulead. They make a nice package called StudioPro $80 if you download it from their web site.

People who do editing, go to the Script to Screen section, sub forum Post-Production and ask away.

Good to have you here Ed. Stay fresh.

Ed,

What ever you do just make sure teh sound is a good as it can be. Most indie films fall short on sound and that is what really makes the difference. Okay shooting, editing and everything else plays a part but from expereince getting good onset sound can save you a heap of time and money.

We screwed our sound up on 'Left For Dead' and had to ADR a lot of the film. This cost us lots and was a huge error!

Phil Hobden
-- Modern Life? --

Thanks guys all of this has been really helpful, I looking at spending upwards of about 3k for my camera alone. So any suggestions would be great on what I should look for and buy, I like the Canon XL2 and the lower grade GL2, but I am still a Sony man, Yet it seems that the GL2 would be the best for me at my state of knowledge on the whole independent scene. and sound may be a problem because I am in the blue about recording sound seperately from the video. if any one could help that would be great.

Back