new to making documentarys

So, I've decided to make a documentary on growing up in florida surfing. However, I've never actually made one before. Im hoping some of you may have some tips and advice you can share...

Im getting this started probably in jan-feb and am expecting to probably spend about 9 months working on it. Its going to be very low budget, actually not much budget at all, paying everything out of pocket... I dont even know what I would be paying for...

As i said before, im very new to this, my video editing is limited to music videos. I do my editing in Sony Vegas 6.0

any help, coments, warnings, advice anything would help a ton

thanks everyone

actually not much budget at all, paying everything out of pocket
Welcome to indietalk! You're in good company here. Enjoy your stay.

There's one particualrly good book I would say is recommended reading for anyone wanting to do a documentary, Directing the Documentary by Michael Rabiger.

I might add, if your doc is about having good clean fun in Florida, you might want to look into the state government financing your project. :yes: It could happen.

mrde50 said:
Being one who lives in Florida, take one piece of advice about filming surfers: Get a GOOD zoom lens. Unless you have a waterproof case for your cam, a good zoom lens will be your best friend.

yeah for all the actual surf footage ill be in the water filming :)

Back