09-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Indie Talk's Online Original Film Competition - Round 4

Important Dates:

Start of competition: Friday, September 16th 12 Midnight PDT
End of competition: Monday, October 31st 5 PM PDT

Start of voting: Monday, October 31st 5 PM PST
End of voting: Monday, November 14th 5 PM PST
Poll void and closed.

Category is the following: Horror In honor of Halloween dream up and shoot the best damn 5 minute Horror movie the net has ever seen!

Concept is the following: "A man/woman tries to communicate with the dead." This is the general theme your movie must have in order to compete in this competition. Head Judge Poke and the panel of judges will reserve the right to disquailfy any entry that they deem does not meet this qualification.

BONUS is the following: Prop - Knife It must appear prominently at some point in the film. Any type of knife will do, but here's the catch: the film that is judged to have the most horrific knife will be awarded 2 points, all other films utilizing knifes will be awarded 1 point. Head Judge Poke and the panel of judges will reserve the right to award or not award points based on their judgement.

Now before you go thinking this bonus is only a couple points, just remember that a few points can make the difference between winning and losing!

EARLY BIRD BONUS is the following: All entrants that PM Poke or Indie by 5 PM PDT on October 29th (the original deadline) will receive one point.

Who, How Much, and Prizes:

Any registered member of IndieTalk can submit a film. (Prem, non-Prem, etc)

You do not need to "sign-up" in advance, though posting a reply with your intention to submit something would be handy. (So we can gossip about you)

There is no entry fee. Not a penny. Just your desire to be the best.

Important Requirement!!

Once you have uploaded your completed, qualifying entry you *must* PM IndieTalk (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=5) or Poke (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=425) with the URL of your online film.

Note: There may be a few changes in the upcoming days... mostly clarifications.

Prizes!

Everyone that uploads a completed, qualifying entry will receive:

One Detonation Films Data-CD title of choice (http://www.detonationfilms.com/)

and

"What They Don't Teach You At Film School : 161 Strategies to Making Your Own Movie No Matter What" by Tiara White & Camille Landau (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786884770/002-2163133-0036008?v=glance)

_______

Awards By Merit:

"Judges' Choice" Award

This is the big one.

Head Judge Poke will be working with other selected judges, to determine which entry is simply... the best. The winner not only gets some well-deserved recognition on the boards, but also:

1) 1 Year IndieTalk Premiere Membership (if already Premiere, your membership will be extended one year, no matter what level you are).
2) A copy of Judith Weston's "Directing Actors: Creating Memorable Performances for Film & Television" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0941188248/qid=1126935814/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2163133-0036008?v=glance&s=books)
3) A copy of John Alton's "Painting With Light" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0520089499/qid=1126936088/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2163133-0036008?v=glance&s=books)

_______

"Peoples' Choice" Award
Category removed.

_______

"Best Score" Award

This Award is only available to entries that have 100% original scores. No royalty-free tunes, nothing left around from last year... simply a score generated for the film in question. Fot the boardmember musician in question:

1) 6 Month IndieTalk Premiere Membership (if already Premiere, your membership will be extended 6 months, no matter what level you are).
2) A copy of "Knowing The Score: Film Composers Talk About the Art, Craft, Blood, Sweat, and Tears of Writing for Cinema" by David Morgan (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380804824/ref=pd_sim_b_4/002-2163133-0036008?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance)

_______

New Category
"Best Acting Performance" Award

This Award goes to the best acting performance, male or female, as determined by the judges. Actors will be judged on a point system, much like the films.

1) 6 Month IndieTalk Premiere Membership (if already Premiere, your membership will be extended 6 months, no matter what level you are).
2) An actors' CD for dialect-training (pick one dialect) (Details TBA)

_______

What Topics Can I Submit?

You have 6 weeks (an astonishingly long time) to come up with an original story that is no longer than 5 minutes in length.

6 weeks is enough time for weekend-warriors to get something done, and should also be long enough for full-timers that want to join in to do something on a weekend.

(Note: 5 mins is the maximum allowed, not required. If you can get the job done in 30 or 60 seconds, go for it.)

I'll Just Submit Something I Made Last Year.

No, you won't. To make sure that it is a genuine new effort made, a "genre" and "general concept" has been assigned. Head Judge Poke and the panel of judges will reserve the right to disquailfy any entry that they deem does not meet these basic qualifications.

What Is The Appropriate Online Viewing Format?

For films shot on mini-dv (720x480), reduce to half size.

That means 360x240, for the math-impaired.

There is an allotted 25MB hosting per film. For a full 5-minute film, that is 5MB per minute. Here are some codec suggestions to make it fit.

VIDEO

Sorenson 3
MP4

AUDIO

Q-Design 2

Quality % can be set to 100 for both audio and video.
Setting the BPS between 60 to 80.
Setting a keyframe every 15 frames.

Depending on suggested video codec(s) (and BPS setting) you can compress as low as 1MB per minute, to as high as 5MB per minute.

Also, all the above codecs are included in the basic install of Quicktime for end-users... which means everyone will be able to see/hear them.

If your submission is an .swf or similar, please set the stage at 360x240. (And e-mail or PM IndieTalk or Poke any funky embedding options)

What Else Do I Need To Know?

Don't use unlicensed copyrighted material in your film. If you try to pull a fast one and use copyrighted music, you'd better be ready to provide documentation that you had permission.
You do not lose any "rights" to your film, by submitting. It remains yours, all yours.
This is not the mud-tossing thread. GO HERE (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=8014) if you want to do that. (Not too rowdy, though)

:director: Be creative and have fun, dammit!

Poke

Zensteve
09-17-2005, 01:25 AM
I am so in :cool:

Nice new category, too... Best Performance!

Veeeery interesting twist with the new "concept". It's going to great to see how many wildly different variations come out of that.

:)

Spatula
09-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Wow- this is going to be fantastic. Ideas already! Luck, everyone!

Will Vincent
09-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Interesting how similar this is to the project I'm about to go into production on... alas it will be two or three times longer than the 5 minute limit.. and don't know that post will be done by the cut off date.

Those are some good books you're offering up this time around, good luck all who can compete! One of these times I'll be in.

SPaulovich
09-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Let the good times roll!

Good luck everyone. This is going to be a blast!!

CootDog
09-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Yea... good luck everyone.

Who's started a script already?

Boz Uriel
09-17-2005, 11:09 AM
As long as you're alright Poke. I was kind of worried there for a bit. ;) Yep, real life always comes first, no doubts there.

Is it the knife or the use of the knife that has to be horrific?

Good luck you guys! :D

NicklausLouis
09-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Either, or. I think if the knife looks horrific it has a leg up, but you could blow the competition away by stabbing Zen with it. I mean, let's talk about stabbing Zen here (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=8014).

Poke

Boz Uriel
09-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Sorry, it's my first contest and I'm a little nervous, is it 5 minuets total? Does the rolling of credits count as time? What about opening credits? When does the clock actually start and end?

Oh man I got the munchies. :(

Zensteve
09-17-2005, 04:25 PM
The 5 minutes is the maximum allowed. If you can do it in under 5 mins, that's fine... some stories only take 3 mins to be told, for example. Just can't go over the maximum of 5 mins.

Opening/closing credits count towards the time, yes.

Don't be nervous. :cool:

EddieLeonardo
09-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Only a man whose heart is pure can wield the knife, and only a man whose ass is narrow can get down these steps. And if mine's is such an ass, then I shall have it.

Oh yeah, I have got a script to write...Good luck everyone.

CootDog
09-17-2005, 04:45 PM
The TOTAL length is 5 min.. no longer.
Clock starts when it starts to play and ends when it's over... it just needs to be over by 5 min. all credits and everything within the 5 min timeframe

CommanderGoat
09-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Just to clarify, is the Knife a neccassary prop? Or is the use of a knife a bonus, and the most horrific knife a double bonus?

dament
09-17-2005, 06:14 PM
This sounds like it could be a lot of fun. HMMMM Should I? (Rubber Ducky Productions)

NicklausLouis
09-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Just to clarify, is the Knife a neccassary prop? Or is the use of a knife a bonus, and the most horrific knife a double bonus?

Use of knife - bonus. Most horrific knife - double bonus.

the knife doesn't have to be in the film, but it would be a good idea.

Poke

Zensteve
09-17-2005, 06:33 PM
HMMMM Should I?

Of course you should! :cool:

Arise, Health Nut... arise!

Boz Uriel
09-18-2005, 12:33 PM
In light of our contest here at indietalk, one of my brainstorming sessions sparked an interesting question.

What is the difference between a horror film and a terror film? More to the point, will my film be disqualified if it's a terror film instead of a horror film?

I was always told that in a horror film the audience is supposed to have sympathy for the 'monster'. i.e. Frankenstein's monster (later named Victor by a blind man) isn't out to harm anyone and the audience can sympathize with him. Dracula has a broken heart and a grudge against God, all he really wants is love. Both of these being horror films.

Freddie Kruger, Jason, and others have one goal in mind; kill people, die a horrible death and re-animate somehow at the last minute only to be killed agian and re-animate for the next film. These all being terror films where the audience sympathizes with the moster's victims.

At least that's what I've always thought. Anybody else?

Zensteve
09-18-2005, 03:20 PM
If you have an idea but are not sure it will fit, give Poke a PM. :cool:

Really though, the categories are pretty broad and encompassing allowing much leeway.

_______

I am having the hardest time coming up with ideas so far, btw, though it's not yet time to http://www.stevenrichards.com/images/smiley_panic.gif

WideShot
09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Let me say, although right now I have 2 ideas for what I want to do, I am not at all interested in the Horror/Terror/Scaring people genre. However, I am interested in showing my own versatility and I just bought a cheap minidv so...

Can we just say that scary/terror/horror generally is accepted? As in the threat of violence/death at a minimum is used in a confrontational way? Just a little clarification would be good...

NicklausLouis
09-18-2005, 05:50 PM
The genre horror is supposed to be broad. If your film fell in the horror category in any way - Slasher flick, Monster flick, Horror Comedy, Suspense, Horror/Thriller, etc. - we'll accept it. I you're still not sure an idea is acceptable, PM me and we can discuss it.

Poke

John@Bophe
09-18-2005, 08:04 PM
What is the difference between a horror film and a terror film?

Boz,

I believe that the generally accepted academic distinctions would be as follows:

Terror = When an individual or small group feel a direct threat to their safety, well being, or life. (e.g.: Cujo terrorized Dee Wallace and her son in the car.)

Horror = A broader sense of doom or dispair. (e.g.: finding a dead body on a dark road would not pose a direct threat to you, but you may feel a sense of dread.)

Schopenhauer School of Horror = When the cause of the horror is something that defies our current understanding of truth/logic (e.g: demonic possession, alien invasion).

Hope that helps!

John

CootDog
09-18-2005, 10:09 PM
So how far are people along with this?

Script done?

Actors aquired?

Locations scouted?

Permits in the works?

Film Stock/Tapes bought?

Sound check 1...2...check 1.....2...3.....4.....BOOM?

For me.. I have thought about the most horrific knife! Also the story is good. I just have to script it.

WideShot
09-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Ok good to know Poke. I have the idea for sure Id like to go with, I just bought a cheap mini-dv cam (interim before I go hi-def and 16mm - was considering 16mm but I dont want the extra week to send it over the hill for processing and telecine), and Ill see whether or not I can go ahead this week. It may not leave a lot of time for a score but Im usually very quick in the editing room so we'll see.

RoxyBright
09-18-2005, 11:08 PM
what kind of knife we talkin about here? What about an axe?

Will Vincent
09-19-2005, 12:19 AM
You know.. I have been thinking about this since my other post... I have got an interesting idea for this round of the ITOOFC... so maybe I'll try to squeeze a quick project into my hectic schedule, I guess we shall see, eh. :)

NicklausLouis
09-19-2005, 12:52 PM
An axe will not count as a knife. If there is any question about the validity of a knife, PM me.

Poke

Zensteve
09-19-2005, 10:38 PM
So how far are people along with this?

Script done? Actors aquired? Locations scouted? Permits in the works? Film Stock/Tapes bought?

One entry concept/storyline is finalised, complete with actors and location.

The real entry is still being brainstormed. :cool:

DirectorX
09-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Just for kicks, would a sword be acceptable?

FilmJumper
09-20-2005, 12:38 AM
In light of our contest here at indietalk, one of my brainstorming sessions sparked an interesting question.

What is the difference between a horror film and a terror film? More to the point, will my film be disqualified if it's a terror film instead of a horror film?

I was always told that in a horror film the audience is supposed to have sympathy for the 'monster'. i.e. Frankenstein's monster (later named Victor by a blind man) isn't out to harm anyone and the audience can sympathize with him. Dracula has a broken heart and a grudge against God, all he really wants is love. Both of these being horror films.

Freddie Kruger, Jason, and others have one goal in mind; kill people, die a horrible death and re-animate somehow at the last minute only to be killed agian and re-animate for the next film. These all being terror films where the audience sympathizes with the moster's victims.

At least that's what I've always thought. Anybody else?
Boz,

You're right but the genre has changed... DRASTICALLY. Using your definition, just about all TERROR films are now HORROR films... At least that's what Hollywood is calling them.

The CLASSIC HORROR will always be CLASSIC HORROR. They can't take that away from them and I will always respect them for what they have taught me...

The new horror is what you're calling a terror film however, I think for this competition, you could make either one and get away with it...

I really want to enter this one but not sure if I can find the time... I'm thinkin'...

Good luck to everyone giving it a shot...

filmy

skankis
09-20-2005, 02:56 AM
Anyone need a composer? Let me know, I'm dying to get in and get my name on some projects. What a killer oppurtunity :)

Spatula
09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
C'mon, filmy! Jump on in! Call Hollywood back and tell them they're just going to have to hold the cheques until after the Indietalk Challenge!

Skankis- I've got one lined up, but I'm sure there's lots o' folk here who'd love an offer like that- ye kind sir!

SPaulovich
09-20-2005, 11:28 AM
We had a killer story idea (no pun intended... or maybe there was) and it would have been the champ hands-down. We plotted out scenes, got started on storyboards... then re-read the contest rules. I don't know what I was thinking - I missed the "communicating with the dead" concept requirements. Rats! Well, that'll teach me not to read contest rules on my opium day!

Oh well, back to the old electronic brain... tried to brainstorm but couldn't even manage a light drizzle!

NicklausLouis
09-20-2005, 04:19 PM
I think for this competition, you could make either one and get away with it...

I had a dog, his name was...

Poke

Boz Uriel
09-20-2005, 09:31 PM
on my opium day You have just one?

Script is done and sectioned off, we're reading on Wednesday. :cool:

Zensteve
09-21-2005, 01:46 AM
I'm still floundering. http://www.stevenrichards.com/images/smiley_pac.gif

Slow down, peeps. :lol:

CootDog
09-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Well to let you all know... I'm going to fly to Florida and shoot some of the short there. I'll be using the set of the http://sticktowhatyouknow.com crew. In fact, we're putting the entire planning process online, in their forum. So for those of you that need some sort of boost you can see what we're doing.

Principal photography will be Oct 13th to Oct 15th EARLY AM since I'm flying back to IL on that day.

We're MAKING our own custom knife, since Liza is a wizard when it comes to all things being made, welded, crafted, etc.

If you want to see part of the set and the progress, you can go here:

http://www.sticktowhatyouknow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5426

And make sure to use your OWN ideas...

AdamG
09-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Sounds like fun guys. If we weren't knee deep in pre-pro for another project we would definitely be taking home your awards!

Just kidding. Wish we could participate.
Maybe next time around. Good luck everyone.

IanH7976
09-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Does the concept limit the film to just a man/woman contacting the dead, or does the film just have to contain a man/woman contacing the dead?

Thanks,
IanH7976

CootDog
09-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Well my film isn't about the people contacting the dead, but it does have it in there.. It's an intregal part in the story. Without that scene the story wouldn't be the same. My whole movie is about the knife.... but don't tell anyone :D

BUT Poke is the main answerer here... so wait for him to respond.

Zensteve
09-21-2005, 03:28 PM
...also...

If a main character is never seen, but has substantial v/o dialogue... could that quailify for "Best Actor"? http://www.stevenrichards.com/images/smiley_redghost.gif

SPaulovich
09-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Okay, concept two is done...

Now back to the writing phase again...

NicklausLouis
09-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Does the concept limit the film to just a man/woman contacting the dead, or does the film just have to contain a man/woman contacing the dead?

Thanks,
IanH7976

It has to be a BIG part of the story. We would like it to be the main plot, but will accept it as a subplot if it's a big part of the story. The idea behind this requirement is to get everyone shooting the same concept and seeing what different plots and styles the different filmmakers come up with.

...also...

If a main character is never seen, but has substantial v/o dialogue... could that quailify for "Best Actor"? http://www.stevenrichards.com/images/smiley_redghost.gif

Since it is considered acting they would be eligible.

Poke

IanH7976
09-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Sorry, I asked my question wrong, I was wondering if the concept allows for multiple people contacing the dead, or does it limit it to be only one person that the story focuses around?

-IanH7976

CootDog
09-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Well as Sir Poke stated:
It has to be a BIG part of the story. We would like it to be the main plot
So if you have multiple people contacting the dead, then it's probably the main plot of the story or at least a BIG part, right?

Then it would be accepted. I'd say GO FORIT

But Poke is the know all.

ncje
09-22-2005, 08:06 AM
WOW excellent prizes Indietalk... great job. Almost worth putting something together for the qualified entry prize.

llirik
09-22-2005, 12:36 PM
do you have anything against monkeys being brutally maimed with balloon animals and silly putty?

CootDog
09-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't, but you have to have someone trying to communicate with the dead to qualify for the contest.

NicklausLouis
09-22-2005, 03:28 PM
But Poke is the know all.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

You can have multiple people contact the dead. That's an olay occurence.

Monkey maiming is okay unless it hurts a real monkey, but even that would be okay if PETA came on here and staged a nude protest...okay the new concept requirement in monkey maiming.

Poke

Zensteve
09-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Almost worth putting something together for the qualified entry prize.

Almost?! :eek:

You know you wanna give it a shot. ;)

Boz Uriel
09-23-2005, 01:26 AM
DON'T make Zensteve beg. It's not a pretty sight.

DirectorX
09-23-2005, 12:39 PM
With such worthy competition, I have to create something, then if I lose (not bloody likely) it won't seem so bad.

I must say I do feel very much like a fish out of water as I'm currently in NE Ohio (a bit far from my normal filming habitat). I don't even know where to start...

I know Ohio has a great filming community, who's help I could certainly use (hint, HINT).

Where could I find some actors? Anyone have a greenscreen, boom, lights? Can anyone travel back in time?

I don't even have my tripod with me. But I do have a script and my camera! So, who's with me?

Zensteve
09-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Ohio has a lot of film-action going on. :cool:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up, Flaviu.

(Wish you were back here in CA to help me... I need a good DP right about now) :blush:

DirectorX
09-25-2005, 12:54 AM
I have to admit I am having quite a bit of trouble with this. This may be due to the fact that I am not very familiar with the genre - I watch very few horror films and it has definitely never crossed my mind to make one.

I am trying though! However, when I have an idea that I like (has some story and characters behind it), it does not seem much to qualify for 'horror.' Then, the more I alter it to make it 'horrific' the less interesting the story and characters become.

Now I have a script that I think would pass the horror requirements, but as a story, it doesn't do much for me.

Any tips? What's a really good horror film to check out?

Ohio has a lot of film-action going on. :cool:
I know. Anyone that wants to collaborate, let me know.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up, Flaviu.
Me too, because right now I have no idea!

(Wish you were back here in CA to help me... I need a good DP right about now) :blush:
I'm sure you can film it with a camera phone and it will still kick ass! Send me some food though! [Steve feeds his crew very well :yes: ]

NicklausLouis
09-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Missed this one...

Just for kicks, would a sword be acceptable?

Since an argument could be made that a sword is simply a big knife, we will accept swords. But try to make it a smallish sword.

...when I have an idea that I like (has some story and characters behind it), it does not seem much to qualify for 'horror.'

Remember, the genre "Horror" is broad. If it's supsense, a thriller, scary in any way, chances are it will be acceptable. PM the general premise and I can let you know if it's a qualifiable story.

Poke

NicklausLouis
09-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Either, or. I think if the knife looks horrific it has a leg up, but you could blow the competition away by [making the use horrific].

Wanted to give everyone a reminder that the use of the knife could be considered more horrific than some of the horrific looking knifes that have been popping up 'round here.

Poke

CootDog
10-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Poke, where the gods consulted concerning a poster prize? :bow:

How is everyone coming?

Who filmed this weekend?

EddieLeonardo
10-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I have a scene to shoot tonight. It is outdoors, on the approach to a beach. very fun!

Boz Uriel
10-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Eh, okay, just picked up the digi8 tapes today. Does that count?

Zensteve
10-02-2005, 06:10 PM
My two leads came over on Saturday to work on their characters. :cool:

Script still unfinished... but we'll be ready by the time we shoot on the 15th.

knightly
10-02-2005, 06:14 PM
I just about made a film, but my fire breathing gypsys got drunk too fast. and now the renaissance festival is over, no more flaming gypsys :( Well, let me know poke if you need me to judge for ya.

NicklausLouis
10-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Poke, where the gods consulted concerning a poster prize? :bow:

Awaiting a reply to my sacrificial Goat.

Poke

Spatula
10-02-2005, 08:20 PM
What do you all think of this (http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=88738&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&surfModel=PV-GS65&catGroupId=25003&surfCategory=3CCD%20Camcorders&displayTab=S) camera:

Might be able to get one off Bill's school for free. Would it be worth the extra two CCD's for the 1/6 chips?

Or should we stick with the 1CCD Sony TRV-25???

The TRV25... or the PV-GS65....

Meeting a producer tonight to see about him being a location manager... Script is at a shooting draft now- any further changes will be improvised... planning to shoot on the 10-11, Oct.

Good luck everybody- this is looking to be one hell of a challenge!

-Logan-

Boz Uriel
10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Win or lose I plan on having a party for the cast and crew and I'd like to schedule it so that we find out the results while everyone is at the party.

Is there anyway to know when the final judgements will be handed down? I mean can we narrow it down to a date and time?

NicklausLouis
10-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Winners will be announced on Nov.13th at 5PM PDT barring any unsuspected developments.

Poke

indietalk
10-03-2005, 12:46 AM
PST - Daylight savings is over in Nov. ;)

Boz Uriel
10-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Three hours behind at any rate. Thank you for the quick responses! :D

NicklausLouis
10-03-2005, 09:41 AM
PST - Daylight savings is over in Nov. ;)

i m not learned a whol lot. u shud knew dat buy now.

Pok

CootDog
10-03-2005, 11:53 PM
WOOHOOO!

I have a LOT of actors that want to come aboard on this one... awesome!

Some crew too...

Hey, what happened to that Goat? Montain lion got it's tounge? Poster or not to poster...

Boz Uriel
10-04-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm with CootDog, what's up with the poster art?

NicklausLouis
10-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Go ahaed with the poster competition but it will be seperate from the main comp. Coot, PM me about the Poster thing.

Poke

CootDog
10-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Done

NicklausLouis
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
UPDATE:

In addition to the film competition we will also be having a poster competition for the ITOOFC entries. Posters are due on the same day as the final film, send Poke a PM if you plan on entering a poster and he will give you details about uploading and what not. The winner will be chosen by popular vote and will recieve a 16X20 replica of their award winning poster. Good luck.

Poke

CootDog
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
WooooHoooo!

Good luck everyone... You'll need it!

EddieLeonardo
10-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Oh so i guess I will need to make a real poster now...hmmm :)

Zensteve
10-05-2005, 10:59 AM
If the poster is being printed up, the source image would need be 300dpi or better, yes?

indietalk
10-05-2005, 11:01 AM
If the poster is being printed up, the source image would need be 300dpi or better, yes?
Unless you like it all pixely and crappy. ;)

CootDog
10-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm making mine 16" x 20" at 600dpi

Then I have to shrink it WAY DOWN to be able to optimize it for the web and save it...

Original file size is like 300Meg

Web image size file size is 400k

Poster could be done with the lower resolution but the results won't be good...

Change the image size of what you have to 16" x20" and see what it looks like... that's about how it will turn out.

NicklausLouis
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM

Yes. Since no one's PMed me yet, I'll go ahead and put this out there...the poster needs to be uploaded to the web by the entrant and the pic needs to be high res.

Poke

Euling
10-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Don't want to say I'm in because I said that last time and got nowhere (except for a script i'm rather proud of).

But... I'm going to at least try to compete and I came up with a couple of questions while brainstorming (I know, a little late):

-There's been a lot of discussion about the genre already, but i just want to clarify: any movie whose main purpose is to be scary is ok?
and:
-How many "points" are there total? +2 could make a lot of difference depending on how big the scale is.

Thanks for answering!

NicklausLouis
10-05-2005, 09:10 PM
There's been a lot of discussion about the genre already, but i just want to clarify: any movie whose main purpose is to be scary is ok?

Yes.

How many "points" are there total? +2 could make a lot of difference depending on how big the scale is.

Last round there was a total of 70 available points (30 for the Technical Side, 40 for the Creative Side) per judge. With 4 judges each entry had an available 280 points and the Bonuses (B&W and Early Bird Bonus) made it a possible 283 points.

This time there might be more, I haven't completed the new Judges Score Sheet yet or announced all the judges.

But 2 points can make a difference, last round's winner won by a margin of only 20 points.

Poke

dylan61
10-11-2005, 12:30 AM
I recently joined this site when a friend told me about this competition. Is there anything special I need to do, or do I just enter the film when we're done? I also plan on submitting a poster.

Zensteve
10-11-2005, 12:58 AM
'sup, good Dylan61! :cool:

There are no special hoops to jump through, no. :)

All the basic criteria are back in the first post (though the CoDec recommendations are a bit dated now).

If you are making something new and original, you're in the game with the rest of us. It's a lot of fun... though we like to talk a bit of smack in the "Surrender! (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=8014)" thread.

If you have any specific questions about the rules, ask away. We're friendly peeps. ;)

Just make sure Poke or IndieTalk gets the URL of your entry(s) before the deadline cutoff.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Only a few weeks left now. http://www.stevenrichards.com/images/smiley_dance.gif

Oh... and :welcome: to IndieTalk.

briceman
10-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm in! I was just about to shoot a horror short... How perfect! I admit though, I've never done horror before, so, I'll probably make something terrible. (I'm just trying to undersell myself here)

CoryP
10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Well, despite Zensteve's encouragement, I was afraid to make something. I couldn't seem to get an idea that I thought was good enough to work with. Until...

Inspiration struck me in philosophy class last night! Instead of taking notes, I spent the 3 hours outlining my plot (sorry Dr. Provenzola) and went home and wrote until 3AM. (sorry whoever teaches my 8AM class that I should probably occasionally attend...)

Got my script, got my actors, location scouting tomorrow, hopefully shooting this weekend! Keep in mind this will be my first narrative film, so don't expect too much...more than a win!

I'M IN

Zensteve
10-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Whoo-hoo! This is really heating up! :pop:

llirik
10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
in the famous words of Paris Hilton; "That's hot."

CootDog
10-15-2005, 01:54 AM
We just finished principal photography!

What a rough 2 days... a lot of shots and props and sets, but it was well worth it...

I was working with a great group of people.

Good Luck you all!

So how's everyone doing on their projects?

I've been out of internet access for a while, but have been able to jump on once in a while.
Any production stills to show?

Euling
10-16-2005, 12:07 AM
How many days is it until the end of the competition? 13 - spoooooky.

And though it may be late in the game, and though I may still be thinking up a script, I'm officially in!

May the best man win. My film won't have a score just so that someone else can win a category. :lol:

Spatula
10-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Lookin forward to butting shorts against ye, Euling!

Argh.

jdmarlow
10-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Latest we can submit is the 29th, correct?

CootDog
10-16-2005, 11:20 AM
End of competition: Saturday, October 29th 5 PM PDT

So your submission needs to be uploaded on that day, by that time... check out the First post in this thread for details. :D

Zensteve
10-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Oh-ho!

From out of the blue, a new challenger popping in!

'sup, good jdmarlow :cool:

CootDog
10-17-2005, 06:16 AM
Zen... how was the shoot?

EddieLeonardo
10-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Wow, just wow, this is very exciting with people just jumping right in.

----------------------

I am very happy with my first movie. I need to get some scenes touched up and some voice dubs done but it looks like I could have a movie, a decent 5 min flick completed by next monday.

I just hope everything goes well with the encoding. been trying to get that part down with some but not great success.

I wish everyone well with their movie, good luck

NicklausLouis
10-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Sorry I was gone for a while folks. I had something this past weekend that kept me busy...

Well we got less than two weeks to go. Everyone excited?

Judges will be announced next week.

Poke

CootDog
10-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm excited since my editor and actors and crew are all in Florida which is threatened by the biggest hurricane ever recorded on the face of the Earth.
There might be a problem with me getting the thing done in time, but we'll see.
Just a couple makeup shots to do and we're all in post.

EddieLeonardo
10-20-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm excited since my editor and actors and crew are all in Florida which is threatened by the biggest hurricane ever recorded on the face of the Earth.
There might be a problem with me getting the thing done in time, but we'll see.
Just a couple makeup shots to do and we're all in post.

Yeah it is really threatining my voice dubs scheduled for the weekend. Otherwise barring any electrical outages or cable disruptions I should be able to upload in time.

May the film Gods be with us this weekend.

LizaTrainer
10-22-2005, 02:47 PM
The footage is looking great, we are very concerned being the weekend and it looking like monday might not be here for us thanks to Wilma. Anyone know if there is a natural disaster extension somewhere in the rules?

We're not looking for simpathy, we just may not make it

LizaTrainer
10-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah it is really threatining my voice dubs scheduled for the weekend. Otherwise barring any electrical outages or cable disruptions I should be able to upload in time.

May the film Gods be with us this weekend.

"here, here" amen brother

CootDog
10-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Well Sr Head Judge Poke.... Is there a clause in there in case of natural disaster?

NicklausLouis
10-22-2005, 04:38 PM
We will see what becomes of Wilma. If it does hit and hit hard, we will make an extension for those affected.

Poke

dylan61
10-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm a little unclear about how we submit. Is there a place on this website to upload our movie or do we just post somewhere in internet land and tell you how to find it? Same question for the poster.

Other than that, the whole thing is shot and mostly edited. Only one more piece of the puzzle to complete Wednesday night and we'll have a pretty sweet little horror flick. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else came up with. Should be a good time.

CootDog
10-22-2005, 07:43 PM
On the day of the entry there should be webspace available for upload. It should me announced next week sometime. The head master king Poke should be able to tell you the official answer though. :yes:

Yea, no one in the cast and crew has ever done a horror film. In fact it wasn't really even in my radar, unless you call a movie like "Land of the Dead" horror.

I haven't seen any roughs yet but everyone else says they are great! So I can't wait... It's hard turning over the editing reigns to someone else but that's cool with me. First time for everyting. I think I'm leaning more towards the VFX route anyway.

I can't wait to see what everyone else has come up with!

Good luck Y'all.

I heard some people were shooting this weekend. Who still needs to shoot?

Boz Uriel
10-22-2005, 08:16 PM
One scene left and two continuity shots. Five minutes gets eaten up really fast, I tell you what.

jdmarlow
10-23-2005, 11:31 AM
So where/how do we submit the films? I just finished mine and I'm not sure where to go to submit.

CootDog
10-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Look 2 posts above this one. You can't upload until the day of sumbissions.. at least that's the way it's been in the past.

I can't wait to see your film! Good luck!

John@Bophe
10-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Important Requirement!!

Once you have uploaded your completed, qualifying entry you *must* PM IndieTalk or Poke with the URL of your online film.

Upload your film to webspace you have available, then send the URL of the film via Private Message to Poke and IndieTalk. Do not post the link to your movie in an IndieTalk thread until after the submission deadline is past. Once all of the submissions have been received and reviewed (for qualification), Poke will publish the links for all movies in one thread with an opportunity to vote for your favorite. After Poke's thread has been published, you can create a separate thread for it in the screening room to receive feedback on your own movie. (This is the way it worked last time).

If you do not have web space available to upload your movie, contact Poke via Provate Message and ask for instructions.

CootDog
10-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Good catch John... I didn't see that.

If needed, I have webspace available for people to upload their films to... Poke and Indie, if it's needed let me know and I'll set up an account.

Zensteve
10-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Recapping some info, for dylan61 & jdmarlow...

_______

Once your film-challenge is complete, upload it to a web host. If you do not have a web host of your own, there are several high-bandwidth ones out there for free. (Hard to win a popular vote if you plop your film onto GeoCities... 2 people see it and it's gone)

PicaPic.net is an okay host, if you have nothing better. (There are several peeps on the board that would host it, if asked... CootDog?)

Uploading to a web host before the deadline is a good idea.

_______

Once the film-challenge is uploaded, PM IndieTalk or Poke (may as well do both at the same time) and send them the direct URL of the completed file. That will act as a time-stamp, and help them organise the "Popular Vote" poll in advance.

It also allows them to make sure the criteria was met, before the judging starts.

_______

Within an hour before the deadline (Saturday, October 29th 5 PM Pacific), the contestants should make a post in the Screening Room (Narrative) for their entry on the boards. Sometimes that's difficult due to RL concerns (which is why PM'ing the URL earlier comes in handy)...

All entries are placed in a special group/category... normally this is HomePage listing and a free bump to Prem-level for the duration of the votes/judging.

_______

Of course, since I am entering this... best to surrender now... :cool:

Euling
10-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Good catch John... I didn't see that.

If needed, I have webspace available for people to upload their films to... Poke and Indie, if it's needed let me know and I'll set up an account.

Yes, if this is possible I would be indebted to you forever. :)

Friend with a server now says he cant spare the bandwidth. If I knew how to use the "stabbing" smiley I would use it here.

CootDog
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
I don't want to step on any toes.. I'll let king of judges Sr. Poke give me the final OK if I can let you all put your films in my server.. I have plenty of space and bandwidht...
I mean the files are only 25 megs... I can host them ALL... muwahahahahaaaaa

So Poke or Indie.. do you object to spreading the love by letting peeps put up their filmz on my server?

scooter
10-24-2005, 06:08 PM
This would help me as I am in between web service providers. Right nowI have nowhere to store my soon to be final product.

NicklausLouis
10-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Poster Contest Entrants

Take note, you should have two versions of your finished poster - 1) 16 inches by 20 inches at 300 dpi resolution for printing if you win, and 2) 400X500 pixels for web viewing. When you send me the link to your film, also send the link to the web viewable poster.

Poke

CootDog
10-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Kind sirs and mams,

I come before you pleading for mercy on the fast approaching deadline. :( Everyone in my cast and crew has sustained terrible setbacks and property loss due to Wilma.

Editor shut down on Sunday to prepare for the storm. I spoke to him today to find out that he is still without power. This brings us behind by 3 days at minimum.

My actor Vanessa is also a Vetrenarian. She stayed in her clinic to ride out the storm. She parked her car in front of the window of the clinic for safety. A piece of someone's roof flew into her car and totalled it.

My Actor Lalo had a tree fall on his car damaging it severly.

Liza Trainer, although I haven't talked to her personally, had the metal storm doors ripped off the building allowing the wind to break the thick thick glass door. This brought in rain, wind, and debris into the studio, which obviously sustained damage to sets and equipment.

So I am asking if it is at all possible to extend the deadline of this competition, if not for all, then for those productions affected by Wilma. My Editor hasn't been able to edit for 3 days. The poster guy hasn't been able to poster for 3 days. Please Mr IndieTalk and Senior Head Judge Poke, please allow the deadline to be extended.

Sincerely,

Michael S. Copeland

NicklausLouis
10-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Okay, so we got one production affected by the storm and the possiblility of another (I think).

We will push back the deadline to 5 PM Pacific on Monday October 31st.

This will mean that the end of the competition will in turn be pushed back to Monday the 14th of November.

All entries that get to me by 5 PM Pacific time on Saturday (the original deadline) will get a one point Early Bird bonus.

Any questions?

Poke

CootDog
10-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Poke,

Can I host some of the people's films on my server? Is that alright with you and this competition?

NicklausLouis
10-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Yeah.

Poke

CootDog
10-25-2005, 11:08 PM
ANYONE WHO NEEDS TO UPLOAD THEIR QUALIFIED FILM TO THE INTERNET and you don't have a webhost.. Let me know. I will host it for you... I'll host the short and the movie poster for you.

Just send me a PM or email.

{edit} Qualified = 25megs or less folloring the guidelines on post #1 of this thread.

CootDog
10-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Even with the extended deadline it's looking bad... Editor still without power. Poster guy without power. VFX guy without footage to composite because editor is without power. Composer without rough cut because editor is without power.

ME WORRIED BECAUSE EDITOR DOESN'T HAVE POWER AND DEADLINE SEEMS TOO SOON :(

I'm not asking for an extension again.... just letting you all know the status

John@Bophe
10-26-2005, 09:30 PM
I really am sorry to hear of your difficulties, Coot. I know you (and all of your team) worked very hard to make this movie, and it would be a shame if you do not make it in time.

Rather than think about that, though...I am going to hold on to the hope that you DO make it. It just won't be the same without you!

CootDog
10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Here's a question for the Head King Judge Poke..... Could I still enter the film for the people's choice if it's not in time for the competition deadline for the judging awards??

NicklausLouis
10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Mulling.

Poke

CootDog
10-28-2005, 10:34 AM
I just found out that Liza Trainer's studio/house was destroyed by a tornado caused by Wilma. We lost some stuff for this production but she lost so much more. She spent a lot of time and money on equipment and the sets for StickToWhatYouKnow.com and it's mostly all destroyed.

The editor drove about 10 hours to Sarasota so he can continue editing...

We're gonna enter something... it just might be really rough. There was another tape there and the audio recordings were there too...

EddieLeonardo
10-28-2005, 12:11 PM
I just found out that Liza Trainer's studio/house was destroyed by a tornado caused by Wilma. We lost some stuff for this production but she lost so much more. She spent a lot of time and money on equipment and the sets for StickToWhatYouKnow.com and it's mostly all destroyed.

The editor drove about 10 hours to Sarasota so he can continue editing...

We're gonna enter something... it just might be really rough. There was another tape there and the audio recordings were there too...

Wow! That really sucks. :cry: From what little I know about Stick to What you know.com I wish Liza, your editor and you the best during this stuff. Hopefully, it is something that can all be recouped from.

NicklausLouis
10-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Was anyone else affected by Wilma?

Poke

Boz Uriel
10-28-2005, 04:48 PM
OMG CootDog! Very sorry to hear that. If there's anything my somewhat meager experience can do to help just ask. My heart goes out to Liza.

I have space to host a few too if need be. :cool:

NicklausLouis
10-29-2005, 06:42 PM
The deadline for Early Bird submission is in twenty minutes....who will make it???

The judges panel is almost complete. I am awainting word on one more possible judge.

Poke

CootDog
10-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Well I found out that one crucial part of the film was on a tape that ... well who knows where it is now!...lol...

We're entering something though. I never did receive the harddrive with the backup of all the footage. Maybe it didn't get out of Florida before Wilma hit??

There are pics on http://StickToWhatYouKnow.com

and on http://santaiscalling.com I have before and after pics.

NicklausLouis
10-30-2005, 03:25 PM
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

And the Judges for the ITOOFC #4 are.....

FilmJumper (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=1184)
knightly (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=3151)
Lilith (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=3973)
Rick (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=2591)
WideShot (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=1240)
Will Vincent (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=2144)
Poke (http://www.indietalk.com/member.php?u=425)

Be nice to them, but don't feed them...I have them on a special diet of film theory.

Poke

Zensteve
10-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Huzzah for the judges! :cool:

Though I pity them already, for having to watch my entry :no:

Good times ahead! :yes:

CootDog
10-31-2005, 01:31 AM
I am in the final stages of adding the ending credits to the short... Not everything got in there like we wanted but we did what we could due to the circumstances....

GoodLuck Everyone!!

Boz Uriel
10-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Hmmm, he didn't say anything about not getting them liquored up.

Welcome distinguished judges, first round's on me! :D

Good luck you all.

CootDog
10-31-2005, 02:13 AM
I just uploaded the final cut... some strange things with the sound but that's all I can do... 3 hours sleep before work tomorrow.... yippee

dylan61
10-31-2005, 07:31 AM
Glad you could make it, CootDog.

John@Bophe
10-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Yes, Coot. I'm glad to hear you and your crew were able to pull it together in spite of all the adversity.

EddieLeonardo
10-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Good job Coot, I too am glad you made it!

CootDog
10-31-2005, 07:55 AM
It's not the finished product by any means, but it's all we can do by this deadline.

It's pretty abstract and short but we got across the things that needed to be there to establish the main character...

I just hope that the judges catch on how we met the requirements of the competition.

Spatula
10-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Only a few moments left until the chaos starts.... I'd say let's all jump in the chat, but it looks like that might not be up in time...

Has everyone got thier films in?

Zensteve
10-31-2005, 05:47 PM
A few moments, as in 65 mins? Clocks went back an hour this past weekend.

Mine's not a pretty entry. C'est la vie. :(

DirectorX
10-31-2005, 05:52 PM
Compressing video! Compress faster damn you!

NicklausLouis
10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Seven minutes away...

Any more entries???

Poke

Zensteve
10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Uploaded, online & thread posted. :cool:

As to the quality of it... well... ya win some, ya lose some. Ya know? :bag:

Spatula
10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
A few moments, as in 65 mins? :(

Big moments, lol... big moments...

And don't worry Zen, mine's about as unpolished as a Suede shoe! But who cares- it'll still be a blast!

EddieLeonardo
10-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Maybe we should have a crappy film prize.

Tries to find nervous emoticon (Well I found the scared one ) :scared:

NicklausLouis
10-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Threads up...

Clicke Here for a Scary Bunch of Films. (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=8761)

Poke

CootDog
11-15-2005, 06:57 AM
So I guess today is the day that the Judge's Awards will be revealed.

Good luck to everyone!

NicklausLouis
11-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Today at 8PM EST.

Poke

CootDog
11-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Man... I am starting to hear the drum roll!!!

I'm excited for all you all!
(in Oklahoma City, OK right now, so I'm speak'n the language)

John@Bophe
11-15-2005, 01:40 PM
8:00 just can't come soon enough! I can't wait to see how this one turns out! There are a lot of great efforts in this comp.

Will Vincent
11-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm excited for all you all!
(in Oklahoma City, OK right now, so I'm speak'n the language)

so wouldn't it be y'all :D

CootDog
11-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Yea y'all, that's darn toot'n rite there Will. We've been counting cowboy hats since we've been here. GREAT steak I gotta tell ya.. had Prime Rib last night... yummy!

I'm thinking there may be a sweep here! And I'm not telling you who I think it will be!

NicklausLouis
11-15-2005, 06:56 PM
We're gonna have to push it back a bit...I haven't received all the Judges' scores yet.

Hopefully it'll be tonight.

Sorry about this.

Poke

CootDog
11-15-2005, 09:24 PM
T +2.5 hours.... any word???:scared:

NicklausLouis
11-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Winners are about to be announced.

Poke