Why

Basically, why do you make films?

My answer:

I love the experience and the people. I have SO much fun (who doesn't love making art?)!

Plus, you get great satisfaction from a job well (or poorly) done. The film becomes like your child; you love it no matter what!

I do it for the money and because I didn't go to college. I can't do anything else.

And yikes! I have made and worked on some terrible movies. I not only don't love them no matter what, I am embarrassed by them. (but I learned a lot by making them)

There's a snake in my shorts

directorik said:
I do it for the money and because I didn't go to college.

Rik,
I am wondering how you make money at making films. Do you get paid to crew? or Do you make money from the films you make? or What?

I am thinking that once we have time to consolidate the footage and take our time to cut this film, that we'll have a great product on our hands, which includes almost 4 hours of BTS footage. I think that would be a great package to sell and market to get funding for a feature.

Do you make money on your Shorts or is it Features that you have made money on?

Please tell us oh Guru!

I make most of my living from crew work - theater, film and some TV. I haven't made a short in many years - couldn't find a market for them - but I have sold the features I've made to the DTV market.

But we're kinda high-jacking amfx's thread.

Last edited:
I agree 'rik. End the hijaking and Sorry!

Why do I make films....

I was doing a little bit of a lot of things and decided to focus on post production. I decided I wanted to be an editor. But now I'm focusing more on VFX, which I love.

That'ts why I make films... I love VFX work and without clients (don't think I'm there yet) I have to write and shoot and edit and VFX my own films.

Although my recent project for the ITOOFC#4 I have an editor, a music guy, had crew and cast that were'nt friends or realitives of mine... and it was an awesome experience... We also ran with no script, we all came up with the story ourselves.

I love to make films because I learn more and more every day. Learning is awesome!

If you have to ask, I won't be able to explain. It's the feeling I get when I turn to my DP and we discuss the shot set up and he makes a recommendation that I had not thought of. I smile, he smiles and we both know why we "make films".

It's when an actor struggles with a line and then says "shit" and I cut. Then the actor and I talk for a little bit, then we do it again and the actor does a great take and he/she smiles at me and we know why we "make films".

It's when someone I know sees my film and tells me, "you made me cry".

Other than that, I haven'yt got a clue why I chose such a hard road to travel.

Charles and I used to work together at the same office. During lunch breaks, we would take a laptop to the kitchen and watch movies. Features ended being too long because you couldn't watch them all in one day, and then schedules might prevent us being together at the same time to watch the end. So, I started browsing the internet for short movies to watch. After watching a few of those, we (seriously, at the same time) turned to each other and said..."we could do this." Five months later, we premiered our first short at a friend's house party. Tomorrow, you will be able to screen our 4th movie in the ITOOFC#4.

We have no training / education in movie-making, nor do we have any aspirations of becoming professionals in the 'business' (at least I don't ...don't think Charles does either...). What we have is a fun hobby. Something we can go to when time allows, and something we can easily put aside when other duties take priority. Personally, I enjoy the creative process of taking an idea, bouncing it around until it takes shape into a story, then grabbing a camera and shooting it, then editing and sound -- it is all so much fun!

Some people play golf, or go camping ... we make movies.

I like to make films because I love to tell storys, I love being able to tell a story through a film and have the viewer ask questions later on. I am an entertainer.

Moved to a more appropriate Forum.

I make films for the same reason directorik does...not the money thing, the "no college" thing. But I'd be willing to make money at it, also I'd be willing to make bananas at it.

Poke

I make movies because... I tried being a dustman and it didn't work out.

Seriously though I love the idea of entertaining people, bringing a smile to people across the globe. Also , I'm told, it can pay quite well!

Phil Hobden
--Modern Life?--

directorik said:
I make most of my living from crew work - theater, film and some TV. I haven't made a short in many years - couldn't find a market for them - but I have sold the features I've made to the DTV market.

But we're kinda high-jacking amfx's thread.

It's just AMF, not AMFX

The "X" I pronounce as "times" (as in multiplication), and was recommended by YahooMail when "amf@yahoo.com" was taken. So, in summary, call me amfx22000 or amf/AMF (preferred)

I've been asking myself this question a lot recently.

Deep down I know that it's a story telling thing for me. Tribes have always had people who told the stories and the stories, in sense, defined the tribe. They are usually morality tales that define what is aceptable and unacceptable forms of behaviour.

The tribe is global now and so is the story telling.

Not an academic thing though, just who I am. Published my first piece of writing when I was nine, attempted to write my first novel at eleven. Screenplays are just how it's expressed itself for the last nine years. Who knows, next week I may jack it all and start writing novels.

Back