Indie Talk Nice idea... But is it working?

Love the idea here at Indietalk.com but i have to ask, is it working?

The public forums seem very quiet and not mcuh gets looked at or commented on. Maybe the private forums are better but I'm always loathe to pay unless I know where that investment is going.

I love this place and think it will continue to grow and I don't want to knock the hardworking admin staff and moderators as theya re doing a great job!

I think the biggest problem (appart from the rather drab design) is too many forums. It's sometimes hard to find what your looking for and within that hard to remember where you've been.

Maybe the admin guys need to look at tightening things down, making the site more focused and getting on board some more gurus that will work the publci forums to encourage peopel to stay who are unwilling to pay for membership.

Also a manifesto telling people where the money goes... becaus ethe presumtion will be in the owners pockets (hey capitalism is never a bad thing)....

But at least people like Shooting People let you know where the investment goes. Also could Indie talk develop a networking mailshot like Shooting People as they seem tio have a major monopoly and with the base here, I think with the right work Indie Talk could top them.

Anyway that's my thoughts... any one else?

Phil Hobden
edit: Ad removed. Please stop advertising your film in every post.

mr-modern-life said:
I agree... but more people and more proffesionals will mean better quality.
Personally, I'd rather have a small group of professionals conferring than a large roomful of them, all speaking simultaneously. The "incoherence factor" is a large differentiator.

Personal choice, though.

Hi Phil,

Indietalk is a great site. With almost 4500 members in about, 2 1/2 years, I believe that surpasses some of the sites which have 'industry filmmakers' attached. As Robert says, it's the quality of posts here rather than quanitity...you don't have to weed through a sh*tload of...'who here prefers twisty macaroni?' posts to get to the meat.

As for access to our Gurus....we have two great ones so far, FilmJumper and Directorik. Yes, they address questions in the private forums, but that's because some members want confidentiality for their projects. There are sticky posts from these guys with valuable info and advice and if you do a search, you will find a mulititude of threads they've started for the benefit of the whole community here.

All in all, you HAVE found the best indie site here, congratulations:D

Last edited:
As I said not a dig. I love the site, think that you guys have done a superb job and hell i've been here a few days and made over 30 (I hope) reasonably interesting posts.

What I'd like to see is this forum promo'd to the studios and to people with money that may be able to help this talented bunch jump to the next level.

As for the money side - I just want to make sure that if and when I spend that I know the money is going for the good of the company not the good of the owners.

As I sadi no offense intended. Keep up the good work!

Phil Hobden
-- Modern Life? --

mr-modern-life said:
As for the money side - I just want to make sure that if and when I spend that I know the money is going for the good of the company not the good of the owners.

As I sadi no offense intended. Keep up the good work!

Phil Hobden
-- Modern Life? --
www.mod-life.com

Welcome :hi:

I only joined up a couple of months ago. I really like this place. It didn't take me long to sign up for membership upgrade. I was very inspired by the film competition on here and have learned so much in my little time here. I have been on good message boards, never have I seen so many great people in one place that are willing to answer questions, share advice and in general care about individual projects before.

I believe the money would pay for hosting, but it could go for dancing girls for all I care because there is no way I could have paid money to learn as much as I have in the little amount of time that I have been here.

Your milelage may very, take as prescribed.

Have a great day

EddieLeonardo

mr-modern-life said:
The public forums seem very quiet and not mcuh gets looked at or commented on. Maybe the private forums are better but I'm always loathe to pay unless I know where that investment is going.

I have to wonder what you consider not quiet... these forums are highly active, and easy to find your way around in, unlike some sites with somewhat similar names.... ;)

I haven't been on for two days, and there are over 200 new posts.. thats not active enough?

I've had such great experiences on this board going all the way back to the fun we all had with Landon (remember him?). I became a Premiere Member soon after this membership was initiated.

There isn't a whole lot on the "Members Only" boards that isn't on the public boards, but I still feel that my small payment went to the right place and for a good messageboard.
My suggestion would be to hang around for a month or so. If you still find yourself drawn here then you might want to try the Premiere membership. You seem to have a lot of expereince that can be very helpful - either way, I hope you stick around.

mr-modern-life said:
Indietalk.com i have to ask, is it working?

As someone who's been posting here for about 2 years - YES, it's working. Questions get posed, then answered. Movies get displayed, then commented on. I haven't seen anything really get swept under the rug.

The admins are the BEST. They have kept peace, which has rarely, if ever been needed. If you're not finding what you're looking for here, I have no idea where it can be found.

directorik said:
the fun we all had with Landon (remember him?).

:banned:

I was trying to forget.

I think the longer you stick around mr-modern-life, the more you'll come to realize that we've got something special going on here. It's just a group of filmmakers helping filmmakers. We have some ebb and flow in the activity department, but on the whole if you ask a question, it'll get answered.

Poke

Back