idea stealers

I have a question...

I have a story/screenplay I have that I am planning on doing. When I show my script to various people I may or may not actually want to work with on the film (cast, crew, etc.) What is to prevent them from just taking my idea and doing it themselves and not telling me? I mean I hate to be paranoid, but...Is there a way to copywrite a script so this doesn't happen. If anyone knows please let me know.

Josh

What is to prevent them from just taking my idea and doing it themselves and not telling me?

Not a whole lot.

Clearly you can (and should) protect your interests by registering a copyright for the script with Uncle Sam ( www.copyright.gov ) and by registering the script with the Writers' Guild of America ( www.wga.org )... but if someone's going to nick a story, they'll nick it. (Look at what happened with "The Matrix" and the weasel Wachowski brothers)

Why are you showing the script to potential cast & crew, btw? I'd wager they aren't the ones with the money to put into it, to get it started.

:)

joshetc said:
I have a question...

I have a story/screenplay I have that I am planning on doing. When I show my script to various people I may or may not actually want to work with on the film (cast, crew, etc.) What is to prevent them from just taking my idea and doing it themselves and not telling me? I mean I hate to be paranoid, but...Is there a way to copywrite a script so this doesn't happen. If anyone knows please let me know.

Josh
You can't copyright or protect an idea... Why? Because everybody has 'em... The very best you can do is to make sure your screenplay is the very best it can be... That the structure and storyline is perfect.

When you do show someone your script, keep a log... This way you know who's seen it and, if they do come out with something similar that IS an obvious rip-off, you can do something about it legally.

If your script is about talking dogs, unfortunately, there's not much you can do if one of the people you show it to comes up with a script with talking dogs UNLESS they copy your story about the talking dogs... However, if your script is about a talking dog falls in love with a cat and the other script is about a talking dog that dresses up like a human and gets a job, these are two different stories... Not much you can do...

Ideas work that way... They spark other ideas...

Keep a log if you're worried and then keep an eye out for similar work that can be traced back to your script...

filmy

Back