Funding for short documentaries

I was wondering if documentary grants are specifically geared towards the production of feature-length documentaries, or if funding exists to bankroll short docs as well? Thanks.

Ryan

if your short docs is about 60 mins, PBS would consider that, it all depending on who you approach to solicitate grants, as when I was doing some research, I didn't find anyone to provide grants to anything less than 60 mins (or the length that would be for television broadcasting - 47-52 mins or so) unless it is a PSA (which would basically funded by the charity who need the PSA for).

Spinner's on the road right now, but she's got the scoop on just about any kind of funding for doc's.

She's also listed a tonne of funding resources on the boards. If you look up her threads (look up her profile, and "find posts" links), you'll be off to a good start.

:)

...what I did was this...

put into your search engine 'funding for documentaries'. You will find alot of stuff you can begin to dig through. For shorter docs, try Film/Arts. They are based in San Francisco I think and you have to be from the area, but you could try it.

...also look to your state arts council. Depending on the scope of your doc, look to the larger funders like
National Endowment for the Arts or Humanities (humanities says they don't fund docs, but check anyway...)
The Ford Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation. What's the worst they could do? Say no...

...there are also lots of funders that only give about $2,000 in grants per project. You might look to one of those...

...I don't know what else to tell you because your post is not very specific, but the best thing for you to do is to look at EVERYTHING...

--spinner:cool:

Back