Cameras

i know this is about as basic as it gets

but I have a sorry camera here and I'm wondering from you guys' opinion

Which is the best atleast what has worked best for you?

I think I've got the sound thing down but I really need help on cameras

**Money is an issue but quality is quality!

If you can respond to this it would be GREATLY appreciated!!

you can respond here or...

my e-mail is

alexa89@att.net

GRATZI!

Money is an issue but quality is quality!
Oh man I hear that. I'm going to say now that the XL2 is out, you might be able to pick up a an XL1s cheap. Ebay or somewhere.

Renting is an option. Not sure how things are where you live but our local cable public access station lends the public equipment for free. Worth checking into.

Why dont you do this, why dont you tell us how much you have to spend on a camera?

If you dont know how much you have to spend because you just want to know about camera models, there are a thousand threads here on indietalk which discuss "which is the best mini-dv camera" or "which is the best and cheapest mini-dv camera?" . Further I would suggest you do your own researching into the features available on each model and ask youself what is really important to you. If you don't know what is important to you... then you need to read some books or do some serious studying.

Last edited:
Actually to add on to my thank "yous"

You all really gave me thorough info.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this really. This is a passion of mine, and I feel that maybe it's worth a shot... You know?

I wish you guys ALL the BEST on your future projects...

>>I was thinking about picking up Robert Rodriguez's book *I think it's Guerilla filmmaking or something...* Maybe that'll help for more research ;) >> To:Wideshot "I agree I might have some more learning to do."

O and updates on the camera! My school has Mini Dvs for rent **Don't know the price but certainly better than nothing!!**

Still not the sexy XL2 (lol) but its a mini dv!! I think sony... I guess it all goes down to the lighting also...

>>(I'm blabbering on and on... >>I need siblings (lol)) Also I wanted to compliment you on your charming sn's!!!

so yeah... lol typical screenplay writer to keep writing what she is "saying"!

Ok thanks again good luck to all and I hope this isn't the last time we speak!

thank you!!!
thank you!!
t
h
a
n
k

y
o
u
!

Rebel Without A Crew

eclectica3v said:
>>I was thinking about picking up Robert Rodriguez's book *I think it's Guerilla filmmaking or something...* Maybe that'll help for more research ;) >>
The title of the book: REBEL WITHOUT A CREW.

A good book to read but not necessarily a HOW-TO book... Just to let you know...

filmy

I'm not trying to be condescending, I am saying there are tons of brands and models, so which is best is based on what you need it for. Ambiguously I could ask any car enthusiasts "what is the best car" and come up with 1000 answers.

I have a couple of books that I love from the stand point of starting out in movies from the ground up:

"Setting Up Your Shots: Great Camera Moves Every Filmmaker Should Know" by Jeremy Vineyard
"Digital Filmmaking for Teens" by Pete Shaner and Gerald Everett Jones

I would then move onto the Steven Katz Series:
"Film Directing: Shot by Shot"
"Film Directing: Cinematic Motion"

I also have books by various directors on directing (including "Rebel Without a Crew"). Books on Screenwriting (I love the "* for Dummies" books), editing, sound, scoring, producing, acting, prop-making, makeup, special effects...the list goes on. I've at least scanned every page of every title I own on these subjects, slowed down and fully read the parts I found new information in.

My lighting so far, I've gotten information online and through trial and error based on that learning.

Of course, I can no longer watch TV or movies without analyzing every element of the production, it's ruined me! :)

eclectica3v: What part of Minnesota are you in?

I know you can rent a DVX100a from Cinequipt for like $100ish a weekend (I believe that's what I paid)

AND I would highly suggest joining IFP, if for no reason other than to get sweet deals on equipment rental.

IFP has killer prices on lighting (which I used recently)
They also have the XL1 and XL2, GL-1 and GL2, and a couple other cameras.

If you're serious about doing film, or even persuing it as a "serious hobby" IFP membership should be a no brainer.

Here's the links:
www.cinequipt.com
www.ifpmsp.org

IM me on aol-IM: FilmGuyWill
or shoot me an email: will@intensitymedia.org
There's a project coming up next month that I'm sure we could use an extra PA for, you'll learn quite a bit there.. I've also got numerous other avenues for you to explore that are too lengthy to list here.

Last edited:
Back