Batch Process Avi's to DV

Ok here’s my little problem, I was skillfully directed to a program called av-cutty, that optically detects scenes, and outputs as hundreds of avi's, exactly what I needed, but when I pull them all into adobe premiere pro 1.5, and render, all I get is audio, when I play each individual clip in premiere on the left screen, they work fine, but when played as a whole, or outputted as a movie, all I get is the audio from the clips. Does anyone know of a software that batch converts Avi's to a DV format that will work with Adobe Premiere, thanks
sean

i dont, sorry. But i have had that problem before as well. i tried that software and didnt like it at all.

Doesnt pinnacle have an option to break it into scenes? I think its pretty inexpensive and it seems to work pretty well with other softwares.

Premiere lets you capture individual takes right from the source tape..

Just turn 'Scene Detection' on when you capture and it'll write a seperate file for every time there's a change in time code (caused by hitting pause between takes) Other than that.. you really don't NEED to have seperate files to work with them in premiere.

Will Vincent said:
Premiere lets you capture individual takes right from the source tape..

Just turn 'Scene Detection' on when you capture and it'll write a seperate file for every time there's a change in time code (caused by hitting pause between takes) Other than that.. you really don't NEED to have seperate files to work with them in premiere.

av-cutty is Dontationware. Im guessing he doesnt have the funds to buy adobe or FCP products.

This is why I suggested pinnacle software. Its fairly cheap. I've seen it on sale for under 40 bucks.

ok hi all, sry for the slow reply, i dont mind spending the money on a good product, i was just recommended avcutty by a friend, also, the camera i am recording off of is a hi8, my friends, and it cannot do scene detect in adobe.

Ahh.. right, that would be a problem. Unless you had a digital8 camera to import the footage with, because then adobe might be able to pull the timecode from its firewire connection.. I would assume it can, but having never tried it can't say for sure.

Again, I'm curious as to why you need the footage split prior to editing..

not to contradict you will, but the one i have, cant, my friends hi8 camera is a sony with a firewire out, and the time scene detect doenst work, it might just be the model of camera but either way, im stuck with it

Will Vincent said:
King: perhaps.. but then, one must wonder about this..

Sorry, you made your point. For a moment I thought he was using someone else to assemble the parts for him in Adobe. so he used his own software. Im guessing he wants to make differnt parts for his menu.

Last edited:
avi audio only is a common thing on the macintosh with avi's encoded with newer versions of the codec than is installed for the viewing software. Depending on the codec (or maybe options) of the avi encoding, I get just audio often. That's why I avoid AVI's like the plague. Of course on a PC, you can't, so just make sure you have the latest avi codec.

there are two types of avi files, check on the capturing software if it captured the file into type I or Type II, Premiere ONLY work with one type.

Also, you MIGHT not have the codec for the video, as you mentioned, you were capturing from a Hi-8, meaning it's Analog and the program can do the batch capturing, hence, had a codec that worked, so it might be possible either 1. settings on premiere was wrong or 2. you don't have the codec, or 3. the avi type is wrong.

Check on those

You can however, use another software like Canopus PreCoder to encode from anything to anything (it can convert files, it does a great job - depending on your source)

Hope that helps.

hey thanks for all the help, i downloaded the trial version of handy saw, but i just cant figure it out, ill keep at it, i think the reason that premiere does not capture the hi8 tape in clips is because the hi8 does not carry a timecode, just a guess, i just wish that adobe could optically scene detect, then all my troubles would be gone, i am doing this by the way so i can have about 4 hours of hi8 tape pre cut into clips on my pc, so i can save myself days of cutting and such by hand

Back