View Full Version : High speed footage for free...kinda

10-17-2005, 05:52 PM
I just tested an interesting theory I had. Since so many folks de-interlace their DV footage anyway, I was wondering what they do with the extra fields. Then the physics hit me very suddenly. Each field recorded is actually a half resolution 1/60th of a second frame...i.e. 60 frames per second.

Here's how I turned this into usable 50% speed footage:

deinterlace odd fields, export to image sequence
deinterlace even fields, export to image sequence

used applescript (I can post this if folks are interested) to rename them in an alternating fashion odd first as filename.xxxx

put them all into a timeline as a single frame still image each. Footage looked pretty cool....I'll post some tonight. I did the test with compressed footage, I'd like to see the quality with actual dv footage.

10-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Sure but of course, now your footage is half res and slightly jaggy. Still, good thinking :) I'd love to get 50% overcrank with a dv camera.

Will Vincent
10-17-2005, 08:25 PM
You could just use something like REtimer ( (check out the gallery (

10-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Here's the clip: The DV version looks great, the MPEG-4 compression killed the final piece for some reason.

Reason to not use RETimer...price. Looks good though, like all their products. Beautiful, but expensive.

<edit>Oh yeah, I'm in the gray sweatshirt</edit>

Will Vincent
10-17-2005, 10:22 PM
That does look pretty decent, be interesting to see how it looks on a big screen. ;)

10-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Here's an h.264 encoded version of it, clarity is much higher:

05-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Here's a clip that was specifically shot to be torn apart like this:

I shot this at 60i w/ a shutter speed of 1/120. I think it turned out quite well.