New Guy in town with some questions

Hello everyone.. I stumbled upon this message board this morning with a little help from my good buddy Jeeves the butler lol and I must say it has been very very informative.

A little background about myself... I am 23 and live in Orlando, I currently work for one of the largest radio station companies in the universe and let me say I have become quite disenchanted with the idea of corporate radio. I have been looking for something different for a while now and film has always been a passion of mine. I ran the High School public access channel, was an on-air anchor for our news program for the entire 4 yrs and became interested in filmmaking. However my films are on a different path than most of you guys have chosen to go down. I am starting my own Adult Film production company with the help of a long time friend of mine and a lot of contacts I have made in the radio/local music industry.

My question is kind of an off shoot on another topic I saw addressed on here, and that is Copyright issues. I am looking to do a film inspired by the idea of an 80's hollywood film franchise. It will be an action/comedy Adult film which I hope will make some waves to dispell the idea that because it is sexually explicit in nature the film itself and the acting have to suck..thats my goal anyway. But copyright issues are my current concern (I am very well versed in the adult film laws so that is not an issue at this moment)

Someone asked before about the use of cars, and the reply was basically saying that if it was parked on the sidewalk its not a big deal but if it is a major part of a scene then you may run into some problems. If I want to use a Hummer H2 which has a very prominent look but I covered over the Hummer Logo and the car is used in a positive light would I still run into an issue?

The particular film I am looking to "parody" also had a distinct logo..how vast is the perverbial blanket of "parody" in regards to my altering the logo slightly for use in my film?

I am also starting to think about the soundtrack because I have certain scenes and battles that I want to be set to a particular song or type of song...Does anyone have any experience in dealing with a record label or more specifically EMI trying to obtain the rights to a song? I have always believed that if you want something done..go right to the source. Which is exactly what I did..I have been in contact with the original artist of the particular song I am looking to use for the past 2 weeks and he seems interested in my project and informed me that EMI would be contacting me in the near future.. I am an antsy person and want to go right to the source to find out how much it is and what all is entailed in obtaining the song rights..any ideas? or perhaps a success story to ease my mind a little lol.

I look forward to talking with everyone here..great site you guys have here :D

Thanks for the welcome :) ... I have spoken to a lawyer about the adult aspect, unfourtunatley he was not also versed in copyright and trademark laws and what exactly I need to do to stay in the "parody" secture of safety. I am not having much luck finding copyright attorneys here in O-town either.

Sounds like you could shed more light on contacting artists for music rights than most of us.

I got sync rights to four songs (Dead Kennedy's, Oingo Boingo, Social Distortion and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy) by contacting the artists personally. So I can give you a success story. It helped that I had made videos for them in the past - the personal connection goes a long way.

As far as the actual laws regarding parody I wouldn’t accept the advice form anyone here on the boards. We are all good, helpful people, but I don’t think there’s a lawyer among us.

I’ve worked on the fringes of the adult industry for many years - as a shooter. Do you think there is a market for an adult film parody?

Titles from films have been parodyed for years in Adult Film, the ones that have actually followed the story have been quite successful. I actually put together a focus group and posed the question to them with a brief overview of the concept to suprisingly receptive results as well as asking random customers at our local Adult Store (which I work at as well) with the same results. If the script is good..acting is decent.. and the scenes are hot..you are looking at a substantial amount of money coming your way.

Also, what exactly does the term sync rights mean? Did it cost you anything..if so how much?

Back