Video to Film

Reverse Telecine <--- if thats even what its called...

I plan to shoot in 16mm, have all negative telecined to digi, either, dvc, dvd, mini-dv, harddrive, etc...

after i do my editing which might include titles ,effects, ect... do I have to cut negative for print, and add expensive optical work? or could i just send a final cut on dvd to make a release print? would there be quality loss?

thanks for the help, i suppose i could of just called and asked a telecine house, but i am new to this forum and thought that i would post and see what yall have to say

thanx

going from video to film is expensive because of the process and generally kind of slow. Personally, I would either cut straight through and output to BetaSP or DigiBeta for your master and for festivals, or bump to HDCam. Otherwise, it may actually be less expensive to just do the entire process on film. Either way, ending up on a 16mm print is not really much of an advantage to a distributor, they want a 35mm print. So they would end up having to stomach either a 16>35mm blowup or a Digital transfer of the video. In the end it ends up as a wash if you are preparing to get it to 35mm to put in the hands of a distributor. But if you want a festival and then straight to DVD film, simply staying in the digital world after telecine will be the least expensive.

thanx alot.

that makes perfect sense, festivals project just about any format anyway right? i guess the feeling of having a master on film would just be refreshing, but economicly, i suppose it makes more sense staying digital, thanks for the helpfull advise.

thankx for the link Will

talk to yall later...

Back