do i gotta pay to get a distributor..??

hey all.....my independent documentary just got an offer for representation and distribution....my question is; do they really expect me to pay them a large sum of money for representation, as well as pay for all the duplication of tapes , copies , prints, etc.....???? i hate to sound so green, but is this normal..????,,any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...!!!...they say they're going to shop it at AFM, NATPE, and Cannes.........should i be happy..?? lol

If you are asked to pay anything, then YOU are the distrubutor. That's the distributor's job, to pay for prints and advertising.

What's the name of the company?

I THOUGHT they were - I've spoken to Steven a couple of times. I'm surprised they are asking you to cover their costs. That is NOT legit.

I know they have had an office at AFM for the past three years but no distributor should be asking the movie maker to cover their costs. How much are they asking you to pay?

they are asking for $2,500 dollars plus duplications costs .......i thought they should cover paying for everything if they want to represent my film.....

"thanks" in advance for the help...

Wongfei

I'll call my contact Steve there on Tuesday and see what he says.

Here's the problem with you covering the costs: what incentive to they have to work hard on getting your movie out there? If they get even 10 movie makers a year to pay then $2,500 that's more than enough to cover an office at AFM plus travel expenses for their top three people. If they con 20 that's $50,000.

If none of the movies sell - so what? They aren't out a dime. If some company wants to take home a dozen copies - so what? YOU have paid for those copies - they can hand them out like candy.

Ya know - this is giving me an idea. How about 20 of us get together, each make 50 copies of our movie and each pay $1,500. I'll rent an office at the next AFM, pay a rep $750/day to pimp our movies, print up some flyers and posters, buy a $5,000 add in Hollywood Reporter and spend a week on the beach in Santa Monica. If something sells - cool. If not ....

hey thanks directorik.......i really didnt feel comfortable with their contract asking for that......so any help or info on the matter would be great.......cuz i really dont want to part with that kind of money.......if you want to contact me more directly feel free to email me at wongfeihong26@hotmail.com

again, "Thanks"....

Wongfei

directorik said:
How about 20 of us get together, each make 50 copies of our movie and each pay $1,500. I'll rent an office at the next AFM, pay a rep $750/day to pimp our movies, print up some flyers and posters, buy a $5,000 add in Hollywood Reporter and spend a week on the beach in Santa Monica. If something sells - cool. If not ....
Can I be the all expenses paid $750/day rep? :yes:

Hope you ahve this sorted. Some companies have asked for an upfront for us - to cover marketing, duplication and trailer. Naturally we refused, cutting the trailer ourselves with the sales agent and having other costs offset against the sales of teh films (which we cleared very quickly at AFM).

This does seem to becoming more and more satndard practice with young and indie film maker and for me represents a lack of trust or faith in a product.

In short: I guess if someone insists on this then they lack the faith and belief they will be able to sell the film and or that reason should be avoided!

Phil Hobden
-- Modern Life? --
'I said 2 Sugars, smuck!"

Back