Pinnacle Studio

My friend is giving me a copy of this program for free. How is it? At the moment i'm using Window Movie Maker for editing. Is this an editing program? How big of learning curve does it have?

Decent program. I think it retails for around $100. We edited our first movie using Pinnacle Studio. It is a solid improvement over Movie Maker. I remember it being VERY easy to learn and use, so you should get good use out of it. After a while, though, I did find it to be rather limited -- so I moved on to Sony Vegas Movie Studio. It also retails for around $100, but the editing features are much better than Pinnacle Studio (IMO).

Still though -- Pinnacle is a GREAT option for getting better than Movie Maker. Especially since its free -- you can't beat that deal! Load it and start playing!!!!

?

If you have WMM why are you asking us how it is? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

As for Pinnacle Studio, its better than the free programs but not as good as Vegas, Premiere or FCP.

Learning curve is subjective, but Id say anything has less learning curve than Premiere.

FYI, your friend giving you a free copy is illegal and piracy.

I just got the disc but they got me on the serial number. He's not home right now, so i gotta wait till tomorrow to call him and get it. What kind of stuff does this do (I have version 8). As for the piracy, well, i'm too broke to pay $100 for a program.

pinkkingdom said:
or i could just continue with what already has been done

isn't that what serial killers do?

Stealing software is illegal. Use the free alternatives, if they don't do what you need them to, sell your services as a filmmaker (weddings and bar/bat mitzvahs) to get money to upgrade.

>I'm currently developing websites to be able to upgrade from final cut express to final cut studio, so I'm practicing what I preach. Final cut express was the cost of filming/editing an opening for a local tv program.

When the police confisgate your computer, you won't be able to use the free software either. If you don't think that'll happen, remember that you're posting that you are using stolen software to a public forum.

Personally, I'd like to see what you have to contribute to the indy film community, don't let this be a setback for you when you could have prevented it easily.

then use the free software to prove yourself, and when you have $$ buy the software. Avid Free is still a million times better than windows movie maker, and free.

not to totally derail the topic, but speaking of piracy, has anyone seen the newish Anti movie piracy trailer.. it was on a dvd I just picked up from the video store last night.. Fever Pitch I think, can't remember I got a bunch of 'em.. anyway.. it was... very 'MTV'.. if you've seen it, you should know what I mean.

Yaaaar! It be time to be shovin off now, hoist the main sails and come hard-a-starboard.. stick close matey's the time to pillage is niegh.

:D

Last edited:
Some friends of mine are interested in making a horror movie with me. We have everything we need, except time. For location, we're using my friend's 65 acre backyard. For actors, we're using my friends. The only props we're using are things we already have. the only thing i need to buy is an exta battery or two for my camera and some liquid latex.

Pinnicle is a great starter program. Specially if you have ADHD and want your video finished NOW! It is sooo easy to use. However, it is full of holes and bugs, so bad, that eventually you will go nuts with all the CTD's and Lockups. One major bug, is the sound synching to the video when you capture it. It does not synch correctly!! Ever!! Major headache, sometimes you notice it, sometimes you dont really notice. When you save your files as video, like avi, and try to work with them in another program, good flippen luck!!

All in all its a great starter program for someone just getting into the funs of computer editing. What I recommend, is not upgrading to it. That is detrimental, this is a starter program, not an upgrade, if your gonna upgrade, get something like premier. I love Premeir, yes, bigger learning curve, but UBER powerfull!!

HappyFilming!!

Back