• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Quicktime error -50 on FCP when exporting mpeg 4

Hi, I've been having some trouble exporting my files in mpeg4 format. The compressor opens but it fails to compress due to: Quicktime error -50. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Open the file you want to compress in QuickTime. Choose "Export" from the "File" menu. There choose mp4 as the format. Configure your export settings (in your case choose the preset).

4.5 but the thing is when I use the compressor it sometimes successfuly compresses the CD and another large file size format. It's too big to post on the internet. I just can't get the compressor to compress in the right settings.

bogusja said:
the thing is when I use the compressor it sometimes successfuly compresses the CD and another large file size format.

I don't know what to say about that. You have to upgrade to QT Pro to use FCP/Compressor, etc. That's definitely what causes the error. FCP 5 automatically updates QuickTime to Pro when installed. I don't remember about FCP 4.5. I remember earlier versions asked you to upgrade before you installed.

On the PC quite a few free compression utilities exist. If you don't want to get QT Pro, maybe try looking for something like that.

Back