Sony DCR-VX2100 vs. Panasonic AG-DVX100

Hi,
Can someone please help me on what camera to buy. I am looking for a good prosumer camcorder for Multimedia projects. I know that the Panasonic has 24fps movie capture and the Sony has good low light quality. I heard that the Panasonic has a very steep learning curve? I am a novice and just getting started. I am interested in 24fps. How big is the difference between 30fps and 24fps in quality. Is 24fps necessary for a good quality output. What about the Canon GL2 ( can't afford the XL2)?
Thanx to all the video pros.
InteractGrafix

What is your intended output?

Both are good cameras for different reasons.

In the end, the DVX100a is best for cinema whereas the 2100 is best for broadcast and documentaries as well as other projects.

24fps is necessary to emulate the frame rate of film, in a step to get a more filmlike output. TV news, and almost every other outlet is 30fps. DVD can display both.

Basically, if you are just starting out, almost any DV camera will be OK for you, but it depends on what you need it for - theres a big difference between a funny web clip at 320x240 res and a cinema piece that is going to be projected to 50' or larger at festivals.

Panasonic vs. Sony

Thank you WideShot for your prompt response. Great Forum. We will be outputting on CD/DVD for PC fullscreen 1024x768 display and TV. We will also do some Corporate Videos as well and documentaries of scenic places (National Parks). As I understand from your point of view, the Sony would be a good quality camera?
Thanx again.

I would most definitely choose the 2100 for that type of application. Again, its not as though either camera (actually probably 10 models come to mind) couldn't do the job, but the 2100 is a very good choice, its the little brother of the PD150 which is an industry standard.

But if your intention is at all higher than standard definition I would look into the Sony FX1. It is not as good in low light but it is high definition. A plethora of cameras in the next two years will hit the market in the $5k-$10k range for high def, so while it may not actually be time for you to make that step I would at least keep it in the back of your mind.

Sony FX-1

I have just looked into the Sony FX1. It seems to be pretty good and does a good job in low light also (reviews?) . What about the missing XLR-mic input?. What advantage does the HD give you over standard? Is'nt the HD only outstanding if you have a HD-TV set?
Thank you WideShot for your pro-video advise. That's exactly what I need. Thanx.

The FX1 is not as good in low light as say the 2100 or the DVX100a or the canon XL1s or XL2. But thats not to say that its poor. It isn't it just isn't as good. Its also the only one that is HD out of the bunch.

HD is not only outstanding when you have a HDTV set. When you down res HD to SD it looks great, because you are starting with much more resolution to begin with. Try this. Take a picture with your digital still camera at 1MP. Now take that same picture at 4MP. In photoshop, down res the 4MP image to 1MP, and put the two images side by side and tell me which one looks better. However when you do show the HD video on a HDTV monitor of course resolution wise there is no contest, the HD has far more resolution and detail than a standard definition camera. Further, I have asked everyone whom has come here looking to purchase a DVX100a or XL2 or Fx1 whether their next TV purchase will be a standard def TV or an HDTV. Think about it, what are you going to buy next? Thats the attitude across the country... so if you are planning a MAJOR project for 2 or 3 years down the road I would NOT recommend making plans to shoot on a SD camera otherwise your shelf life may be relatively short. Within 3 years BlueRay and/or HDDVD will be widely available.

XLR is a great input. 3.5mm jack input is good too though, and there are a couple of choices for it like the ATR-55 and many lav's come in 3.5mm plugs. Also, there is a company called Beachtek which makes XLR to 3.5mm adapters.

So I digress. On one hand I'd say if you're not totally broke (which it sounds like you're not and you're going to be paid), I'd say buy a decent (sub $3k) camera and learn to use it. On the other I say HD will be here in widespread fashion in 2-3 years and it would be in everyone's best benefit to shoot in HD if for only the shelf life let alone the resolution.

Fx1

Thank you so much for your great expertise and your lenghty reply. That gives me something to think about it.
Can't mention it enough - great Forum. I will stay a member and be back. Thanx again WideShot.
Keep it up :yes:

Back