• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch new abstract short for fun and pleasure

Back at it again making an abstract kinda thing with music and some kind of story if you reach in to your imagination enough. I've spent entirely too much time on it for what it is, But I hope people still think its alright. As always I look forward to comments/suggestions.

http://www.media-garden.org/fin/abstract02.mov enjoy. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought it was a great piece. Loved the sillouette work- did you just do backlighting, or were there any special tricks involved?

Also, the mirror effects were great- how did you do them? Greenscreens?

The story/interpretation I got: Man holes himself up in the house because he needs time alone to find himself, but in the end, the phone call is the outside world telling him the solution he is looking for: you need to get out more. LOL

Yea this was a pretty damn good flic.

The mirror scenes were great, please do tell how you did them.

Awesome work.. I can't wait for more!

Wow thanks for the good feedback guys. For the mirror effects I didn't green screen, though that would have made it a lot easier. Mostly it was just creative camera placement and then masking with AfterEffects. For the one where the guy bends down in front of the mirror, I made a mask for the mirror and then took the same shot and scaled it down and put it as a layer below. For all the other ones I actually filmed two shots, one for what happens in the mirror and one for what is in real space. Then I masked out the real reflection in the mirror and replaced it with what I shot to be in the mirror.

spatula: hey not a bad interpretation, especially since while I was working on that I could have gotten out more. the sillouette was just back lit. It was originally intended to never clearly see the characters face so I went that direction. But I did slip up in one shot, oh well.

Last edited:
Very good! I liked it. A couple nits, only one is troublesome. That's the second most annoying phone ringer I've ever heard. LOL In the opening dialog, the music needed to be turned down, I was straining in places to hear the voice.

Good job though, nice piece.

Boz Uriel said:
Very good! I liked it. A couple nits, only one is troublesome. That's the second most annoying phone ringer I've ever heard. LOL In the opening dialog, the music needed to be turned down, I was straining in places to hear the voice.

Good job though, nice piece.

First annoying being that annoying crazy frog jamster ring tone? :)

yeah I can agree with you on the intro. The speaking is a little hard to hear.

Last edited:
I'm diggin it. The concept was intriguing. Excellend music choice. Very well done with the effects. Seamless. The volume of the voice was a little hard to hear but I think a louder voice would have diminished the effect. It shouldn't be too clear. That's my kinda video.

strawpaper said:
That was good. The phone ringing startled me.
The mirror thing did work well. How did you do that?
Cool film.

In all the mirror shots I masked out the mirrors in after effects, then replaced whtat hould be the mirror image with another shot. so basically each time in front of the mirror was shot twice. once for the "real" person and once for the reflection.

For me, the movie fell well short of its ambitions, trying to say a lot with a narrative that needed work. The 'cool' MTV tricks clashed with the amateur filming and the poetry seemed well over the top.

Leo

I liked it. I liked the A/E effects. One part of it messed up in the mirror scene where you could see the edges not blend right.

why dont you illustrate to us how you did the mirror thing. I want to try that myself.

Back