HD Video Query

I'm on the verge of stepping up to a better camera. After a lot of research I've decided that the one that's right for me is either the Panasonic PV-GS400 or the Sony HDR-HC1. Where I'm stumped is the question of the HD video on the HC1.

What I want to know is, will the picture quality be that much better on non-HD tv's, or will the movies have to be shown on HDTV's for the increased picture quality to show?

Is the picture quality of the HC1 that much improved over the GS400's?

I've also heard that editing HD can be a bitch if you don't have Final Cut Studio. (I use Adobe Premiere and don't currently own a Mac) Any truth to that?

Thanks a lot for the input. --Blake

The high definition is obviously meant for HD-Tv's, regardless, the HD footage shot on a HD camera is much sharper on regular tvs than normal footage is. I have not heard of anyone having editing problems with Prem. Premiere actually has a mode for HD. The main issue of HD editing is your PC. HD takes much more drive space and cpu usage. You need a bit of ram and a fast processor.

But to answer your question right; Yes, the picture quality on nonHD tv's will be better with HD film.(check out WB programs shot in HD)

No, you do not need a HDTV to view HD but it helps out tremendously. Video quality for the two cameras is up for dispute. There are always people that agrue the pros and cons of different cameras. Suggestion : Rent the two cameras, decide which you like the best.

HD footage has a different look, however, when it comes to movies and tv-shows I am not particularly fond of HD. Sports, and nature shows are what stand apart for me.

isn't hc1 a 1 chip HDV camera for $1800? I would say just totally skip that since it's more a 'consumer' hdv than a pro-sumer one.

For premiere pro editing, you need premiere pro 1.5.1 plus the hdv codec, aspect hd would be something to go with, now, the "minimum" system is a pentium 4 3.0ghz with 1gig of ram, obviously it will be slow but that's what you will need at least plus hard drive space...

The recent issue of Studio Magazine (www.studiomonthly.com) and the Film & Video magazine both have comments from many shooters that's been shooting hdv and what they've found to be problems they've encountered. it's a very useful reading to let you understand the con/pro of shooting hdv for indie filmmaking. (like use pal camera instead of the cinemaframe 24p mode), etc.

there's also an issue of the latest EventDV magazine where it compares the current NLE aveilabe (FCP Pro, Premiere Pro, Vegas, Avid, etc) and it seems, each has it's own advantage and disaventage, really speaking, it is not what's better than what... Lastely, as I've been reading, FCP Pro has yet to get HDV editing perfected, and Avid is currently bypasing the need for HDV editing... (this might have changed, but that's what I've read so far)

I've been reading a lot to study the 'benefit' of HDV shooting and comparing the cameras. :)
planning to get one for Summer 2006 shoot.

Johnny

I've been going over some requirements for shooting HDV, and I understand that with a Mac Mini, one can edit DV with Final Cut Pro just fine. What about editing HDV with one? Lost cause?

Seems to me that they're targeting this audience (HDV owners and hobbyists) with the new iMovie and FC Express and Pro. It is, however, relatively new, but it seems to me that all of the companies mentioned above are relatively good at listening to their users to correct problems that are encountered and fixing them in subsequent versions.

My current take on the low cost HDV camera market is that the Sony Z1 is interesting because of its flexibility, but only the JVC GYHD 101E camera is worth looking at for serious film making. Mainly because it's the only one that gets anywhere near a broadcast lens.

Chips only get you so far; in the end it's optics that count most.

I know that it's 720i not 1080i, but I'm not convinced that it matters. I've shot 720i progressive HD on the Panasonic DVCProHD and the picture quality was stunning. However, the optics on that camera were massively expensive.

HDV will look better if the camera captures more information then a normal DV camera would. Most HDV cameras tend to have higher quality CCD's and therefore tend to have a better picture quality on any TV. It is much like 35 mm film. The DVD is still standard NTSC, but the picture looks so much better then something that is shot from DV as the original acquisition median was so much better.

-Chris

----------

Writer / Director for Elysian Pictures Independent Film Production Company in Los Angeles.

Back