The Perils of Premiering

Having just finished post-production on my first film (a short), I am now in the position to screen the work for the cast, crew and investors. Actually, the production has been quite blessed and will be seen at a special function by several execs who have approached me and my backer, but my question revolves more around the general public. A friend is premiering a feature-length indie and is strictly relegated to inviting ONLY cast, crew and their families--absolutely no press or industry-types, as it could effect the film sale. My film, however, is a short. Granted, it's marketed like a feature (teaser, trailer, poster and website), but the rules-I have found-are definitely more lax regarding short works. And finally, here's the question: Will I effect the festival-entry and potential Sundance Channel viewing (in a best-case scenario) status of my film if I premiere it? The production took on a motherload of debt (well worth it and MOSTLY paid off, I might add) and there's few financial avenues for shorts investor-wise. In the eyes of the execs getting a sneak peek, for example, the short is a calling card (not an investment) for interest in my feature scripts and television pilot. Perhaps, if I called it a (Test) Screening and had a suggested donation, I could have the best of all worlds. Please advise.

You could come up to Canada and premiere it right on the border. That way you still have the chance at a "US Premiere".

As I understand it, as long as you don't allow general public inside, it should be ok.
I don't know anyone else who did the "donation/sneak peek" route and went all the way. If we get into Slamdance with Macbeth 3000, I'll let you know.
Ultimately though, the quality of the product is the biggest determining factor. If your short rocks, it should be able to bend some rules.

Im not sure the exact way to get around the premeire thing. Sneak Peek, private screening, etc should be OK.

One thing I know for sure, big fests, ESPECIALLY SUNDANCE, want US if not World Premiere. This is absolutely a consideration before you go and premiere it elsewhere.

Back