• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Camera Tricks

Hey guys......quick Q for anyone who might know........How did Vincent Gallo get the shot of him shooting himself in BUFFALO '66 when he was still, the blood projecting from his head was frozen in the air, the gun frozen half way to the ground..........basically a freeze fram but the camera panned around him.....how does the camera move in this situation??? The budget was far too low in this flick for it to be any kind of CGI.......

Not related to the original post but still related to camera tricks. How might I go about filming a creature that will be in a gorilla suit for my movie. I do not want people to think it is a gorilla, or obviously a suit. But how do I make it scary and never actually show the entire body, because that would simply give away what it really is, a costume, and not a horrifying creature that inhabits a patch or rural woods.

You do it with good lighting, good editing and good sound efx.

Heavy back light will make it more of a silhouette. Having the creature
move through the frame quickly creates a sense of movement. The
current trend is to move the camera a lot as if it's the POV of one of the
characters.

My favorite is the "Jaws" method. I spoke to the great editor Verna Fields
for several hours many years ago and she told me "if the damn shark
prop had worked, that movie wouldn't have." So don't show it - suggest
it's there with shadows, misdirection and sounds.

My suggestion would go along with directorik's: don't show the gorilla.

But also, the idea of misdirection works as well. Only show parts of the gorilla and only for very brief periods at a time. Show it moving out of the scene when people are looking elsewhere like in the movie "Signs". Don't show the gorilla's face, show parts of the face quickly.

Do very quick edits so that no one gets a good look at anything for any long period of time, like the shower scene in the original "Psycho". Many people who initially saw that shower scene thought it was bloody, but what happened is that your mind fills in what your common sense says should have happened.

All those things combined with good lighting, good editing and good sound effects.

...at least that is what I think I would do....

-- spinner :cool:

All the above methods sound good ,practical, and affordable, but another solution could be to make masks that hide parts of the body or even just distort the image enough to NOT look like a gorilla suit, by masks I mean video editing masks in a program like After Effects. You can distort the suit to not resemble a gorilla suit. This of course requires someone who knows how to do VFX and compositing, so if you don't have someone to do this, then your back to the old fashioned and probably cheaper ways of the above mentioned methods. So, depending on what effect you are going for , your timeline, and budget, I like the more subtle techniques that cause misdirection like Spinner and Directorik mentions, but you can do what you are looking for through visual effects programs.

Back